Vilensky Lane connects Paradnaya and Vosstaniya streets
A nameless lane, beginning at Vosstaniya St. and extending to Paradnaya St., appeared in the XVIII century and was built up mainly with tenement houses. Initially it was a third shorted and ended at Radishcheva St., it was extended in 1825.
The lane received its first name - Hospital Lane - in 1798 in honor of the Preobrazhensky Regiment hospital located on it. In the same period, various names were applied to it: Gofshpitalny, Goshpitalny, Preobrazhenskaya hospital street, Preobrazhensky state hospital lane. In 1858, it received a new name –Vilensky- after the town of Vilnius - the administrative center of the Vilnius province. Nowadays Vilnus is the capital of Lithuania, in the XVIII and XIX centuries Lithuania was a part of Russian Empire. The renaming took place after the reform of the western provinces, which also gave new names to Kovensky, Mitavsky and Grodno lanes. The revolution of 1917, which caused a lot of renaming, did not leave out the modest Vilensky Lane. In 1922, it became known as Krasnoy Svyazi St. (Red Signal Corps St.), after the Signal Corps quarters located here.
The historical name - Vilensky – was returned to the lane in 1998 in the wake of the countrywide tendency to return to the pre-revolutionary placenames. So the twists and turns of history are reflected in the fate of a small lane between Vosstaniya St. and Paradnaya St.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Vilensky pereulok