The Kamenny Bridge is a bridge across the Griboyedov Kanal that connects Kazansky and Spassky bridges. The bridge marks the border between Admiralteysky and Central districts of Saint Petersburg
Since 1752 there was a wooden Middle bridge, but in 1767-1776 it was replaced with the permanent stone one, erected upon the project on the engineer Nazimov.
In 1880 the members of the revolutionary political organization ‘Narodnaya Volya’ planted dynamite under the bridge with the intent to detonate it when the carriage carrying emperor Alexander II would be crossing the bridge. However, the operation was never realized because the conspirators were not sure about the dynamite power, so they cancelled the operation. The hidden dynamite was extracted from the bottom of the canal in spring 1881, after Alexander’s assassination, during the trial.
The bridge is just one of the few such old constructions in Saint Petersburg which hadn’t undergone significant renovation. The construction of the bridge represents the main technological feature of the bridge engineering in the XVIII century – a steep arch which was often used in various stone constructions of that time.
Its length amounts to 19,7m and width is about 15m.
The Kamenny Bridge is recognized as an architectural monument of federal value and is protected by the state.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Kamenny Most
- Site: https://mostotrest-spb.ru/bridges/kamennyj