The F.M.Dostoevsky Literary-Memorial Museum opened on November 12, 1971, in the house at 5/2 Kuznechny Lane
Dostoevsky had rented an apartment in this building twice, once for a very short time in 1846, and then from October 1878 until his death, on January 28, 1881. The beginning and end of his writing career turned out to be joined together in one spot. Here he had worked on his early story The Double, and here he wrote his last novel, The Brothers Karamazov. The Dostoevskys' apartment was recreated for the most part from the memoirs of his wife Anna and of his contemporaries.
The Literary-Memorial Museum of F.M.Dostoevsky was opened in 1971, for the 150-year anniversary since the birth of the author. His last apartment was in this house. The apartment of Dostoevsky was restored according to the archive plans, the memoirs of his wife Anna and his contemporaries’ reminiscences.
The Dostoevsky Museum contains a theater for viewing performances and movies based on Dostoevsky's works, and for literary gatherings.
Every year in November, when the writer's birthday is observed, the museum hosts an international scholarly conference "Dostoevsky and World Culture". Exhibits by modern artists are always on display in the exhibition rooms.
Every year the Dostoevsky Day takes place in St. Petersburg featuring participation in processions and perfomances, free tours dedicated to Dostoevsky, movie screenings, exhibitions, lectures and meet-the-artist events.