Jazz under Drawbridges

Treat yourself an unforgettable night cruise along on the comfortable double-deck restaurant-boat. Stunning views of the night city, the St. Petersburg bridges in evening illumination and endless caravan of ships.

You will see all the main drawbridges: Blagoveshchensky, Palace, Trinity, Liteiny, Alexander Nevsky, Birzhevoy bridges and the "pearl" of St. Petersburg - the bridge of the Emperor Peter the Great (Bolsheokhtinsky bridge)! Famous postcard views of St. Petersburg - from the Hermitage and the Bronze Horseman to Aurora and Smolny Cathedral to the enchanting sounds of jazz on the comfortable boat-restaurants!

 

  • bridges 7
Blagoveshensky Bridge

Blagoveshensky Bridge

St. Petersburg, Blagoveshensky most

The Blagoveshchensky is the first permanent bridge across the Neva River in Saint Petersburg

The Blagoveshchensky (Annunciation) Bridge (in 1855-1918 it was called Nikolaevsky Bridge, in 1918-2007 Lieutenant Schmidt Bridge) is the first permanent bridge across the Neva River in Saint Petersburg, Russia. It connects Vasilievsky Island and central part of the city.

In 1727 a temporary bridge was built at the location of the modern bridge. The place was chosen by Menshikov whose palace is located at the opposite bank. This bridge, named Issakievsky, existed until the current bridge was built, at which time it was moved to the location of where Palace Bridge is located today.

The bridge was built in 1843-1850. It was designed by Stanisław Kierbedź, a Polish engineer working in Russia . The architect Alexander Brullov participated in the decoration. The construction was a cast iron bridge with a bascule section. At the time, it was the longest bridge in Europe.

The bridge's length is 331 meters and the width is 24 meters. The original name of the bridge was Nevsky Bridge, later renamed to Blagoveshchensky Bridge, after the death of Tsar Nicholas I to Nikolaevsky Bridge in his honor, and in 1918 to Lieutenant Schmidt Bridge.

Nowadays the bridge is named after the church built on the square close up to the bridge.
Reconstruction of the bridge was completed in 2007.

Neva's width in this place is 280 meters.

1
Palace Bridge

Palace Bridge

St. Petersburg, Dvortsovy most

Palace Bridge took its name after the Palace (Dvortsovay) embankment, Palace (Dvortsovay) square and Winter Palace.

The first pontoon bridge connected Admiralteysky and Vasilievsky islands in 1856 directly in front of the Winter Palace, but in 1896-1897 it was relocated to the place where today the Palace Bridge is situated. The permanent iron drawbridge was constructed in 1912-1916 by engineers A.Pshenitzkiy and R.Meltzer.

Interesting fact: some wooden elements of bridge’s construction remained unchanged till 1978. Palace Bridge is technically the most perfect one of all Neva’s bridges. Unique mechanism of the drawbridge, consisted of engines, colossal cogwheels (some full metal cast in block details remain from the opening of the bridge) and floating bridge counterbalances weighting thousands of tons, allows lifting 700 tons of bridge spans.

In 1997 the Palace Bridge got it’s colorful illumination.

During fests the open spans of the bridge become the screen for imaged films.  

2
Trinity Bridge

Trinity Bridge

St. Petersburg, Troitsky most

Trinity Bridge connects Kamennoostrovsky Prospect with Suvorovskaya Square

The Trinity Bridge was opened in 1903 as part of the celebrations of St. Petersburg's 200th anniversary. It was the third permanent bridge, after Blagoveshchensky Bridge and Liteiny Bridge, to be laid across the River Neva, running form just north of the Field of Mars on the left bank of the river to the Petrograd Side next to the Peter and Paul Fortress. Measuring 582 meters, it is the second longest bridge in the city, one of the busiest, and also one of the most beautiful thanks to its spectacularly ornate Art Nouveau design.

The bridge's name refers to the Trinity Cathedral, which once stood by the river on the Petrograd Side. The name was changed to Bridge of Equality in 1918, and the Cathedral was destroyed soon after. In 1934, the bridge was renamed to honor Sergei Kirov, revolutionary and Bolshevik leader of Petrograd. The original name was only restored in 1999.

3
 Liteyny Bridge

Liteyny Bridge

St. Petersburg, Liteyny most

Liteiniy Bridge is connecting shores of the body of river Neva in its deepest part

Liteiniy prospect located perpendicularly to Nevskiy prospect and faces directly Liyeiniy bridge. In the area of ​​the bridge Neva river reaches its maximum depth - 24 metres.

Then the road lengths into the street of Academic Lebedev, that terminates in the industrial blocks of Viborgskaya Storona soon. Little earlier, on the right of the street there is a way to Finlyandskiy railroad station.

Historic maps reveal that long before the day Petersburg was founded by Peter I, there was crossing or a ferry on the road from Sweden to Russian lands in the area of the Liteiniy bridge. The crossing was a boundary between territory of Novgorod and lands of Sweden Vyborg.The length of the bridge is 396 meters; its width is 34 meters. The weight of metallic spans is 5902 tones. 

4
Alexander Nevsky Bridge

Alexander Nevsky Bridge

St. Petersburg, Most Aleksandra Nevskogo

Alexander Nevsky bridge is the final point of main city's line - Nevsky Prospect

It may be said that it is the end of an old Petersburg.

On the other shore of Neva there are located Stalin era districts, and after them there are residential districts of the city. If you are going right ahead, you'll eventually reach Vsevolojsk.

Until 2004, when the Big Obukhovsky Bridge was built, the Alexander Nevsky bridge was the longest bridge across the Neva River in Saint Petersburg. Its length is 905.7 meters, and it is 35 meters wide. The bridge was built from 1960 to 1965. Designed by the group of architects - A. Zhuk, S. Mayofis and Y. Sinitsa - the bridge has complemented the look of adjacent buildings in surrounding area. The project was led by a team of engineers of the "Lengiprotransmost" institute. Proof-testing was done by means of a column of army tanks. On November 5, 1965 the bridge was open for traffic.

The new image of the bridge was formed after installing the system of illumination in 2003. Today the Alexander Nevsky bridge creates one of the most beautiful night views of St – Petersburg.

 

5
Birzhevoy Bridge

Birzhevoy Bridge

St. Petersburg, Birzhevoi most

Birzhevoy Bridge across Malaya Neva river is connecting Vasilievskiy Island and Petrogradskaya Storona 

Crossing the mouth of the Malaya Neva River between Vasilevsky Island and Mytninskaya Embankment on the Petrograd Side, the Birzhevoy Bridge (Exchange Bridge), which takes its name from the nearby Stock Exchange Building - "birzha" in Russian - was built between 1957 and 1960, but designed to match the much older Palace Bridge on the other side of the Vasilevsky Island Spit. The five-span steel bridge rests on granite-faced piers of reinforced concrete, and the bridges simple but elegant decorations include cast iron railings featuring nautical decorations.

6
Bolsheokhtinsky Bridge

Bolsheokhtinsky Bridge

St. Petersburg, Bolsheokhtinsky bridge

The bridge connects the historical center with the Malaya Okhta district

Suvorovsky prospect (which starts off from Nevskiy (Staronevskiy) prospect) is almost the direct road towards the bridge. On the further side of the river the road goes to Krasnogvardeyskaya place and, crossing the river Okhta, dissolves into the residential areas of the Stalin era.

The ceremony of bridge founding was organized on June 26, 1909 - in two hundred years anniversary of Poltava Battle. In spite of this fact bridge was named after the emperor, who win the  battle – Peter the Great Bridge.

During the Soviet epoch the bridge was called Bolsheokhtinsky after the river Bolshaya Okhta. Nowadays the bridge has two these names.

The bridge features only three spans, the central one can be drawn. The special thing about the bridge is lighthouse-like towers, boasting devices drawing the bridge.

The length of the bridge is 335 metres, it's width is 23,5 metres. The weight of the metallic structures is 8920 tones, including the weight of the counterbalance, which is 1065 tones.

7

Useful information

Dates: 28 June - 4 November
Теl: +7 (812) 426-17-17
E-mail: booking@astra-marine.ru