Savior on Spilled Blood memorial museum
2B Griboyedov Canal Embankment
The cathedral was built on the site where Tsar Alexander II was mortally wounded
The cathedral was built in 1883-1907 on the site where Tsar Alexander II was mortally wounded.
The Savior on Spilled Blood (the Church of the Resurrection of Christ) was erected upon a joint project of architect A.A. Parland and archimandrite Ignatius (Malyshev), the prior of the Coastal Monastery of St. Sergius. They fulfilled the wish of Alexander III and created the cathedral in an “authentic Russian style”, preserving the place of the fatal injury of the emperor’s father inside the temple.
Mosaic decoration plays an exceptional role in creating the artistic image of the Savior on Spilled Blood; it makes up one of the largest collections of monumental mosaic in Europe, with its total area of 7,056 square meters.
The proportions of the Church of the Resurrection of Christ are symbolic: the height of its central structure is 81 meters, reminiscent of the year of Tsar Alexander II’s death – 1881. The height of the second biggest dome of the church is 63 meters, the number symbolizing the age of the murdered Emperor.