In accordance with the Federal Law of 15.11.1997 No. 143-ФЗ “On Acts of Civil Status” marriage of foreign citizens can be registered in any Wedding Palace or Register Office of St. Petersburg.
The date and time of the state registration of marriage are determined by the persons entering into marriage, by defining any free date and time in the chosen registry office, when submitting an application. Marriage and state registration of marriage can be performed in a month and no later than twelve months from the date of giving notice in the registry office.
In accordance with Article 26 of the Federal Law of 15.11.1997 No. 143-ФЗ “On Acts of Civil Status”, persons entering into marriage submit a written notice of a joint marriage in person to the civil registry office. Application forms and sample marriage applications are available on the website of the Civic Affairs Committee kzags.gov.spb.ru.
When submitting an application, the presence of one of the persons entering into marriage is sufficient; in this case, the signature of the second person on the application must be certified by a notary. If the person entering into marriage is a foreign citizen or a stateless person and does not speak Russian - the state language of the Russian Federation - it is recommended to fill in application in a foreign language with subsequent translation into the state language of the Russian Federation. The accuracy of the translation and the authenticity of the signature of the person submitting an application should be certified by a notary.
Documents required for submitting a marriage application:
1. A joint marriage application;
2. Identity documents;
3. A document confirming the absence of barriers to marriage, issued by the competent authority or a diplomatic representative office of the applicant's state;
4. A document confirming the termination of the previous marriage (in case it took place);
5. Permission to marry if at least one of the persons has not reached the marriage age;
6. A receipt confirming the payment of state duty in the amount of 350 rubles.
Marriage registration is not allowed if:
- At least one of the persons has another registered marriage;
- Persons are close family members;
- One of the persons is an adoptive parent or an adoptee;
- At least one of the persons is declared legally impaired owing to mental disability.
Addresses and phone numbers of Register Offices and Marriage Palaces of St. Petersburg, as well as information about the terms and procedure of marriage registration in the registry offices are available on the official website of the Civic Affairs Committee kzags.gov.spb.ru.
All questions concerning marriage registration can be sent via Electronic Consulting Room on the official website of St. Petersburg Administration. The Civic Affairs Committee processes incoming request and sends back the clarification of the current legislation on marriage registration in the registry offices of St. Petersburg and a list of documents required for registration. Consultation is carried out in Russian (free of charge).
If you would like to get assistance in English, please place your questions right here