On May 27,1703 the construction of a new Russian fortress Saint Petersburg was started
The construction of a Russian fortress Saint Petersburg began on a small Zayachy island in the delta of the Neva river. This day is considered the birthday of the new capital of Russia. Peter the Great named the fortress after the apostle Saint Peter. The first version sounded more like «Sankt-Pieter-Burch», with Dutch pronounciation. In 1720 this name changes into German-like «Sankt Petersburg». Apart form the official name the city acquires a common name used by locals — «Pieter-grad» or simply «Pieter».
- Address: St. Petersburg, Zayachy ostrov