On June 1, 1806 the construction of Smolny Institute was started
The architect Giacomo Quarenghi was assigned a task to built an edifice for the Institute for Noblewomen, established by Catherine the Great in 1764 near Smolny monastery. The building was finished in 1808. It belonged to the Institute till 1917, then housed the Leningrad City Deputee Council and Communist Party of the Soviet Union. In 1991 the Smolny Institute became the residence of Saint-Petersburg city hall, and of the city's governor five years later.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Smolny St., 1