The Lands End Column is the monument of park architecture of the late 18th century.
The Lands End Column is the monument of park architecture of the late 18th century. In 1784, a marble column designed by Charles Cameron was installed on the axis of the Triple Lime Alley at its exit to the grounds, and the entire place became known as the column square. A few years later, cast iron gates were installed, completing the design of the square. The depiction of this place can be seen on the old fan from the Museum fund.
However, such layout did not last long. At the turn of 1799/1800, architect Vincenzo Brenna creates the layout of a new Park area: the New Silvia, located on the right bank of the Slavyanka river. Brenna moved the column from the Triple Lime Alley on one of the sites near the coastal slope. This Ionic column of pink Olonets marble was named the Lands End. The name was symbolic in the spirit of the time: a reminder that Pavlovsk park ended there. The column is well-preserved and still remains at its historical place in the New Sylvia.
In 2016, major restoration works were performed, reinforcing the hill and the column itself; marble surface of the column was cleaned, lost rectangular red marble panels were replaced in the column base, and a sphere was mounted at the top of the column. The coastal landscape was expanded, allowing one to observe the column from the Pill Tower pavilion.