The Monument to the Blockade Tram has become a symbol of courage shown by conductors in the service of the city during the blockade
In 1941 the Leningrad tram was an important transport enterprise of the city. 1,835 coaches took 43 routes daily. The route network reached more than 700 kilometers, connecting all parts of the city and some suburbs to the city center.
On September 8, 1941 Nazi troops seized Shlisselburg, tightening assault around Leningrad. About 2.5 million citizens were in the city at that time. Infrastructure of the city was severely damaged. However, the Leningrad tram fearlessly continued its work even in the most terrible war years. Trams of besieged Leningrad performed significant functions: they transported soldiers to the front line, which took place just a few kilometers away from the city, and brought wounded soldiers back to the city. Tram tracks were laid towards many enterprises of the city, coaches delivered bread to shops.
In those years one could see a tram and a tank going side by side. During the blockade years, almost 4,500 people were employed at tramways parks and lines, working for 18 days in a row without a break, many people lived right at the place of their jobs.
On January 27, 1943, together with victory fireworks in honor of liberation the city from blockade, conductors of trams rang the bells, thus expressing joy of this long-awaited day.
The monument was set on September 8, 2007.
The coach was restored by renovators down to the smallest detail. There's a granite stele next to it. The inscription reads: "Here, in September 1941, Peterhof highway was blocked with tramcars to protect Leningrad from the enemy tanks. The blockade tram was set in honor of the 100th Anniversary of St. Petersburg tram and 66 Anniversary of the beginning of Leningrad blockade".
- Address: 112, Stachek prospect, Saint Petersburg