In 1957, at the Field of Mars was lit a first eternal flame in the country, commemorating the victims of all the wars and revolutions that have befallen Saint Petersburg
The flame was solemnly delivered from the open-hearth shop of the Kirovsky plant and lit by a honorary Bolshevik Praskovya Kulebyako. Architect Solomon Maiofis became an author of the gas jet project.
In 1967 on the territory of the Mikhailovsky Garden was constructed gas distribution point, from which up to now gas supply is being performed to the Eternal Flame. The gas pipeline over 400 meters in length runs along the bottom of Moika river.
It is from this first flame were lit the eternal flames of many memorials around the country.
- Address: The Field of Mars, Saint Petersburg