Palace of Grand Duke Nikolai Nikolaevich the Younger on Petrovskaya naberezhnaya (house №2).
Nikolai Nikolaevich, the grandson of Nicholai I, conceived its construction after his marriage to the Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna Lichtenberg, (Princess Chernogorskaya), she was called Stana in the family. A place for the house has been chosen very well. Just recently opened a permanent Trinity Bridge/ Troisky most, which connects St. Petersburg island/ Peterburgsky ostrov with the Palace naberezhnaya. At the same time, the southern coast of the island has been landscaped, turned into a granite Petrovskaya naberezhnaya. It was here, on a site overlooking the Summer Garden/ Letny sad and the old houses on the other bank of the Neva, a new palace was decided to build. It is obvious that the Grand Duke purchased this site before work of Petrovskaya naberezhnaya device started. He was the only one who did not agree to provide territory for the storage of construction materials. Nikolai Nikolaevich was suggested getting neighboring, larger allotment, but he did not agree. The builders had to build embankment directly from waterside, avoid the Great possession.
The architect A. Hrenov, who built in 1909 next six-stored profitable building (Petrovskaya ulitsa, 3), designed the palace. Construction of the Grand Duke Nikolai Nikolaevich the Younger palace was from 1910 to 1913. The main facades from the Neva River/reka Neva and Trinity Square/Troitskaya ploshchad sides were decorated in neoclassical style and yard facade and main entrance-in the Art Nouveau style. Marble, Karelian birch, gilded bronze and stucco used trimming interiors. Front staircase leading to the second floor allowed entering the Dining room, Living room and Study. The third floor has contained decorated in the Empire style living quarters. Main part of the furniture for the palace was carried out at the factory of F. Meltzer. Nikolai Nikolaevich was one of the first who gave his house Grigory Rasputin and contributed to his advancement at court.
Grand couple did not live in the residence for a long time. In 1914, with the outbreak of World War II, Nikolai Nikolaevich went to the front as chief commander of the Russian army. After the February Revolution of 1917, the Grand Duke moved from St. Petersburg in his Crimean estate Chair. In 1919, he and his family left Russia. From February 1917 to May 1918 in the mansion housed the Investigative Law Commission All-Russian Central Executive Committee, then – the Commission of Inquiry Military Revolutionary Committee. There one of the first revolutionary tribunals sat. The first session of the Tribunal took place on 28 November 1917. One of the leaders of the Cadet Party Countess S.V. Panina and former leader of the extreme right-wing monarchists V.M. Purishkevich were judged. The first got public censure, and the second - a small period in prison. In June 1918 Palace of Grand Duke Nikolai Nikolaevich was handed
to the State Institute of studying brain and mental phenomena. His head was V.M. Bekhterev who worked here until 1927. In 1954, there was the Institute of Semiconductors, and later - the Limnology Institute of Academy of Sciences of the USSR. After the restoration in 1985, there was a new entrance to palace from embankment side. The building became the Wedding Palace. In 2000 here, the residence of the Plenipotentiary Representative of RF President in the North-West Federal District was located.
- Address: St.Pererburg, Petrovskaya emb., 2