The Evangelical Lutheran church is currently The parish of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ingria
The history of the Evangelical Lutheran parish of St. Michael dates back to 1732, when the Lutheran house church was founded at the First Cadet Corps on Vasilyevsky Island (in the former palace of Prince Menshikov). The church was intended primarily for cadets, officers, teachers and other corps employees - immigrants from Estonia, Livonia and other Russian citizens of foreign origin. The residents of the nearby neighborhoods were also allowed to attend the services.
On June 12, 1834, with the highest permission of Emperor Nicholas I, the church received the name of St. Michael the Archangel.
In February 1841, it was decided to demolish the building occupied by the church and to arrange the church in the premises of the Cadet Corps specifically for the cadets. Civilian parishioners were offered to join to other parishes.
More than 2 thousand people wanted to preserve the community and build a church in the house of architect L.Y. Tiblen on the 3rd line of Vasilievsky Island (No. 8), in a rented building, where the Church of St. Michael was consecrated on August 16, 1842. At the same time, fundraising was carried out to purchase a plot of land and build its own building.
October 23, 1874, the fundament of the stone building of the church with 720 seats in Gothic style was laid by the design of Colonel Karl Karlovich von Bulmerink, an engineer on Vasilievsky Island, on the corner of Sredny Prospekt and the 3rd Line.
On December 19, 1876 the church was consecrated by Bishop Julius von Richter. In 1886, R.B Bernhard, an academician of architecture drafted a new facade, but it had never been implemented. The church was beautifully decorated inside, had wonderful acoustics and one of the best organs in the city. There was an orphanage with an elementary school, a widow's shelter and a society for the care of the poor at the church.
In 1929, the building of the Church of St. Michael was transferred to the Russian Lutheran community of Jesus Christ, as a result of which the unification of the two parishes - German and Russian happened. On August 15, 1935 the church was closed, a sports base was located in the building, then - a warehouse of a tobacco factory, and after the war - a factory workshop. The interior of the church was completely rebuilt and distorted.
In 1992, the church was returned to the Russian Lutheran community, divine services were resumed. In 2004-2010 the restoration was carried out with elements of reconstruction of the interior of the church and the repair of the roof and facade.
The Lutheran parish of St. Michael is part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ingria in Russia.
Rector - Pastor Dmitry Petrov
- Address: St. Petersburg, Sredny prospect V.O., 18 B
- Phone Number: +7 (981) 860-73-07
- Site: https://spbstmihail.jimdofree.com
Monday - Sunday: 09:00 - 17:00
Divine services are held every Sunday at 11:00 and every Thursday at 19:00