Malaya Sadovaya Street is a pedestrian street with cafes, terraces, and fountains in the heart of St. Petersburg
It runs between Italyanskaya Street (Italian Street) and the Nevsky Prospect. 175 metres (574 ft) long, it is St. Petersburg's shortest street.
In the 18th Century, Ivan Shuvalov owned land at the corner of what is now Malaya Sadovaya Street and Italyanskaya Street, thus giving the street its first name, Shuvalov Lane. At the same time a different backstreet also called Shuvalov and a street called Novy Pereulok (New Lane) existed in the area. The name Malaya Sadovaya (Little Garden) Street is first mentioned in 1836.
On April 16, 1887, the street was renamed to Catherine Street in honor of Catherine the Great. It kept this name until the revolution.
In September 1918, a number of streets and squares in Petersburg were renamed, and Catherine Street was renamed Proletkult Street, after the cultural, educational, and literary organization Proletarian Culture which at the time was housed on the street, at № 2. But after World War II, most of these streets got back their historical names, and on June 28, 1948, Proletkult Street again became Malaya Sadovaya Street.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Malaya Sadovaya ulitsa