A large park named after Mars, the Roman god of war, situated in the center of Saint Petersburg
The history of Field of Mars goes back to the first years of Saint Petersburg. At that time it was called the Great Meadow. Later it was the setting for celebrations to mark Russia's victory in the Great Northern War and the field was renamed the Amusement Field (Poteshnoe Pole). In the 1740s the Amusement Field was turned for a short while into a walking park with paths, lawns, and flowers. Its next name – Tsarina’s Meadow – appeared after the royal family commissioned Rastrelli to build the Summer Palace for Empress Elizabeth. But towards the end of the 18th-century Tsarina’s Meadow became a military drill ground where they erected monuments commemorating the victories of the Russian Army and where parades and military exercises took place regularly.
After the February Revolution in 1917, the Field of Mars finally lost its significance as a military drill ground and became a memorial area, used to bury the revolution's honoured dead. In summer 1942 the Field of Mars was completely covered with vegetable gardens to supply the besieged Leningrad.
In 1918-1920, Finnish communists were buried here.
The 15 km route is optimal for a bicycle. Bicycle tour of the city allows you to see the main attractions. It takes less time than walking, but at the same time gives an opportunity to enjoy the views of the city
- Address: Saint Petersburg, Marsovo pole