The ensemble of Sennaya square
The construction of Sennaya square ensemble was started in the time of the empress Anna Ivanovna in 1737. The square name’s origin goes back to the past when hay (russ. ‘seno’), straw and firewood were sold here, in Sennaya square. And there is an interesting fact, the hay was weighting with the cart on a huge scales. The street that leads from Sennoy market to Nevsky prospect also was called Sennaya street and later this name was changed for Sadovaya. In the 18th century it was the main commercial and merchant street of the city. Later there was made a straight road to the South form Sennaya square directly leading to Moscow and Kiev and to Tsarskoye Selo, the Tsars’ residence. During 1753-1765 there was built the Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God (which was one of the largest in the Northern capital), it was funded by the famous s merchant Savva Yakovlev. In the second half of the 19th century Sennaya square has turned into one of the most crowded areas of St. Petersburg.
Sennaya square is often mentioned point in the novels of Fyodor Dostoevsky. And this is the place where Raskolnikov decided to murder the old pawnbroker. And writer himself was kept here for 2 nights, in the guardhouse in Sennaya square in March of 1874 for publication the note “The Kyrgyz deputies in St. Petersburg” without special permission.
- Address: Saint Petersburg, Sennaya ploschad