The bridge crosses Bolshaya Nevka River and connects Petrogradskiy island with Vyborgskaya side
Sampsonievskiy bridge has been named after Sampsonievskiy embankment, now called Vyborgskaya. Historically all this area took its named after St.Samson (in Russian -Sampsonievskiy) Church.
The bridge crosses Bolshaya Nevka River and connects Petrogradskiy island with Vyborgskaya side.
The first bridge was transported to this area from the upper point of the river and was called Grenaderskiy floating bridge.
New wooden Sampsonievskiy bridge was based on piles and became first bridge in St. Petersburg, built by the new scheme, replacing old floating models. Length of the bridge amounted to 242 meters, and its width was equal to 12,7 meters. The drawn mechanism was set in motion manually.
Subsequently, during the capital repairs bascule span was moved to the center of the bridge, and the total number of supports was increased to seventeen. Length of the bridge decreased to 235 meters. Wooden railing of the bridge were decorated with cast-iron lanterns.
In 1908 city’s government decided to construct new permanent bridge, which allows to connect two banks of the river by tram line. Unfortunately, the project of engineer Krivoshein was never implemented. The old bridge was destroyed and the temporary twin was built downstream the river.
Under Soviet power the wooden bridge was reconstructed: the pillars and spans was resurrected. Drawn mechanism was electrified. However, in 1955 the bridge, renamed to Liberty bridge was closed due to its dilapidation.
The construction of a new bridge lasted from 1955 to 1958. The bridge was built by engineers of Leningrad’s State Engineer Projecting Company.
The length of the bridge is 212 metres.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Sampsonievsky most