The church was commissioned by Society for Religious and Moral Education
The corners of the building are shaped as towers crowned with domes. Icons were painted by the pupils of the school of the Trustee Committee for Russian Icon Painting; the interior paintings were completed in 1914-16 by V. T. Perminov who followed the patterns that were used for the mosaic of the Church of Our Saviour on Blood. From 1914, the church belonged to the Alexander Nevsky Brotherhood of Sobriety, which established its headquarters in the building.
In October 1930, the church was closed, the building was used as a storehouse. In 1989, the church was returned to the faithful, divine services resumed in 1990, but the building is still under reconstruction.