His Majesty’s Feodorovskiy Cathedral (Pushkin)

0

An Orthodox church in the St. Petersburg’s suburban town of Pushkin near the Fermskiy Park

The idea of building a 17th century style architectural complex “Feodorovskiy gorodok” (Feodorovskiy township) on barracks’ territory arose in the middle of the first decade of the 1900s. A regimental temple was to become the central dominant of the complex. In 1909, His Majesty personally condescended to indicate and measure with steps the place of the future church in a clearing adjacent to Tsarskoye Selo Park.

Pokrovskiy V.A. was appointed as the architect of the church and took the Cathedral of the Annunciation of Moscow Kremlin in its most ancient form, without subsequent alterations and extensions of the 16th century as a foundation for his new design. Nicholas II and Alexandra Fedorovna provided the core funding for the construction of the cathedral (150,000 rubles). The final cost of construction amounted to 1 million 150 thousand rubles. This sum, in addition to the aforementioned contribution of the imperial family, was raised by voluntary donations from merchants and industrialists. The ceremonial consecration of the new cathedral took place on September 2, 1912 in the presence of the imperial family and was performed by the Protopresbyter of the military and naval clergy Georgiy Shavelskiy.

The main part of the church is of a four-pillar cubic, cross-domed system. The uniform wall planes are broken by slightly prominent shoulder blades, a light arcature belt and stucco Russian coats of arms on the tsar's porch. The façades are decorated with mosaic panels made in the workshop of the Russian mosaic artist V. A. Frolov.

His Majesty’s Feodorovskiy Cathedral (rus. Feodorovskiy Gosudarev sobor) was considered the regimental temple of His Imperial Majesty's Own Consolidated Infantry Regiment, and was also "the parish of the Emperor’s family". During their stay in Tsarskoye Selo, the emperor's family visited the church on holidays and Sundays.

On June 13, 1933, the church was closed by the decision of the Leningrad Executive Committee. The Church’s property was divided among several museums. The mosaics were painted over. The upper church was adapted for a cinema, the screen was located in the altar’s place. The lower church was used as a Film and Photodocuments archive and warehouse. During the Great Patriotic War, the building suffered heavy damage under the shelling and bombing. The walls of the northern and western façades were ruined, roof trusses were damaged, and the main dome was destroyed. The staircase of the main entrance was dismantled. The archive in the church was destroyed by fire.

In the spring of 1991, Feodorovskiy Cathedral was transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church. In the same year, in one of the Tsarskoye Selo parks, the Feodorov Icon of the Mother of God was miraculously found and became one of the revered relics of the cathedral. In 1992, religious services began in the lower, and in 1996 in the upper church.

In 1995, Feodorovskiy Cathedral was included in the list of objects of historical and cultural heritage as a monument of architecture of federal significance.

To leave a review you need to authorize first
Anonymous
Administrator of visit-petersburg.ru
Show more