Outstanding monument of Russian architecture of the middle of the XVIII century,
St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral of the Epiphany in St. Petersburg is an outstanding monument of Russian architecture of the middle of the XVIII century, which history is inextricably linked with the history and traditions of the Russian fleet. The cathedral has preserved its historic image and interiors for over 200 years. St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral was built as a "marine regimental church" in 1753-1762 on the sea regimental yard on the site of a wooden church. It was designed by the architect S. Chevakinsky in the style of Elizabethan Baroque. The cathedral can accomodate about 5000 people at a time. A detached four-tier bell tower, completed with a high spire was built in 1755-1758.
St. Nicholas Cathedral is one of the few churches in St. Petersburg that has never been closed, and from 1941 to 1999 it was a cathedral church.