The monument of Islamic religious architecture
The Great Mosque of St. Petersburg is the biggest Mosque in the European part of Russia. The building was constructed in 1909-1920 by the architect Nikolai Vasilyev, also involving the engineer S. Krichinsky and the architect A. von Gauguin. Its construction in 1913 was dedicated to the tercentenary of the Romanov house. However, it took another seven years to finish the work on the interior decoration of the temple. The St. Petersburg Mosque is one of the largest in Europe - it can accommodate up to 5,000 people.
Among people, the first mosque in St. Petersburg was called Tatarian for a very long time, and the area near the temple held the name of Tatarstan. Most likely, this can be explained by the fact that at some point the Tatar community was actively involved in the construction of the mosque.