One of the most famous tourist points of the city
Bankovsky Bridge (Bank Bridge) over the Griboyedov canal is nowadays one of the most famous tourist points of the city. Four griffins hold the light construction of the bridge with the decorative chains. The Bridge offers wonderful views onto the Kazan Cathedral, Singer House, Nevsky Prospect and Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood. It’s one of Petersburg’s three remaining pedestrian suspended bridges.
The Bridge was constructed in 1826 by V.von Traitteur and V. Christianovitz and has formed the ensemble of the entrance to The State Assignation Bank (now it houses The University of Economics). The decoration of the bridge was created by famous sculptor P.Sokolov, the author of many animalistic and mystical sculptures, erected on the bridges and buildings of St. Petersburg. He also designed the lions of Lviny (Lion’s) Bridge and the sphinxes of Egyptian Bridge.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Bankovsky most