Vaganova Ballet Academy, Ul. Zodchego Rossi, 2
Vaganova Ballet Academy is one of the oldest ballet schools in the world. It was founded in 1738 by Empress Anna Ioannovna.
The first teacher of the school was French dancing-master Jean Baptiste Lande. And the first students - 12 girls and boys, children of palace employees. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries the first Russian choreographer Ivan Valberkh (Lesogorov) worked here. Didelot, the founder of modern methods of classical dance, taught at the school for about 20 years - during this time he wanted to ensure that the Russian ballet became part of the European. At this time the Russian ballet surpassed foreign one and classical dance became the core of the Academy's educational program.
Another well-known Frenchman, Jules Perrot (the most famous choreographer in the era of Romanticism) arrived in St. Petersburg at the invitation of the Directorate of Imperial Theatres.
Later, Marius Petipa and Enrico Cecchetti started teaching at the school, as well as many other excellent teachers.
Many choreographers lived near the Academy - so Didelot chose a house on the corner of the modern street of Rubinstein and Nevsky Prospect, and Marius Petipa rented an apartment literally "around the corner" - on the Fontanka embankment, 51-53.
The academy was glorified not only by the famous choreographers, but also by talented graduates. Anna Pavlova introduced the whole world to the Russian ballet, and Marina Semenova in the difficult 1920s proved to her native country that classical ballet is needed.
In different years work of Galina Ulanova, Fei Balabina, Natalia Dudinskaya, Vladimir Ponomarev, Matilda Kshesinskaya, Vaclav Nijinsky, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Uliana Lopatkina strengthened the success of the Academy.
And, of course, Agrippina Yakovlevna Vaganova cannot but be mentioned. She herself was a former graduate of the Theatre School, after the revolution she returned here as a teacher and created the world's best system for teaching classical dance.