Route "St. Petersburg historical center by bicycle"

The 15 km route is optimal for a bicycle. Bicycle tour of the city allows you to see the main attractions. It takes less time than walking, but at the same time gives an opportunity to enjoy the views of the city

The route leads to the city's visiting cards, passes through parks, embankments, bridges. In the Exchange you can get on a bicycle, go down to the Rostral columns and stop near the water on Spit of Vasilievsky Island to admire the Peter and Paul Fortress. Then visit the fortress, which stopped on the Zayachy island. Further the path passes through Salt Town to the field of Mars with the Eternal Flame, to the main square of the city – Palace Square, to the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood, built on the place of the murder of Emperor Alexander II, then along the cozy central streets past the museums and palaces that you can visit in Aftermath.

  • points of interest 2 ,
  • museums 7 ,
  • squares 2 ,
  • monuments 5 ,
  • hire of bicycles 2
16 km, 952 m
BED&BIKE

BED&BIKE

Saint Petersburg, nab. reki Fontanki, 77 (entrance from the side of embankment through the arch, in the courtyard)

BED&BIKE is a friendly bike rental in the center of St. Petersburg and also a hostel

Bicycle rental in the historical center, from where you can reach the main sights of the city.
 100 bicycles for rental: city bikes, sport bikes, children's, stylish cruisers and retro bikes.
Delivery of bicycles, night rent, round-the-clock work on request, organization of group events.

BED&BIKE — live and ride in St.Petersburg!

1
Building of the Main Admiralty

Building of the Main Admiralty

The first building on the left bank of the Neva River

It is one of the most important sight of St. Petersurg. Firstly having been constructed as a shipyard, at present the Admiralty building is the Headquarters of the Russian Navy.Three central streets of St. Petersburg split off from the Admiralty Spire as three rays.: Nevsky Avenue, Gorokhovaya Street and Voznesensky Avenue. On the top of the 72,5 meter spire one can see the symbol of St. Petersburg - a gilded weather vane in the form of a ship.

According to the legend, the silhouette of the weather vane repeats a contour of the first ship which came into the port of St. Petersburg soon after the foundation of the city.

Find the Admiralty spire from Gorokhovaya Street, Voznesensky and Nesky Avenue. Just because of this interesting possibility - one can see the spire from these 3 streets -  in the 19th century the Admiralty was jestingly called  a "Pole Star" or "Nevsky trident".

1 km, 659 m
3
Monument to Peter I on Senate Square (Bronze Horseman)

Monument to Peter I on Senate Square (Bronze Horseman)

St. Petersburg, Senate Square

Monument to the founder of St.Petersburg

Commissioned by Catherine the Great, the monument was created by the French sculptor Étienne Maurice Falconet in 1782. The second name (the Bronze Horseman) comes from the same name poem written by Aleksander Pushkin (1833). The monument symbolizes the Russian victory over Sweden in the Northern War (1700-1721): the snake symbolizes a defeated enemy, the horse symbolizes Russia. The pedestal of this monument is a huge so-called "thunder-stone", which was delivered to Senate Square from a borough Lakhta.

There is a legend that one can find the name of Étienne Falconet on a fold of Peter the Great's cloak.

432 m
4
Quay with Sphinxes

Quay with Sphinxes

St. Petersburg, Universitetskaya embankment

The Saint Petersburg Sphinxes are about 3500 years old

They are made from syenite and initially were in front of a magnificent temple, which was built in Egypt near Thebes for the pharaoh Amenhotep III. Their faces are portraits of Amenhotep III and the shape of their headwear (crowns "pa shemti") indicates that he was the ruler of two kingdoms—the Upper Egypt and Lower Egypt.

1 km, 219 m
5
Kunstkamera

Kunstkamera

St. Petersburg, Universitetskaya embankment, 3

Peter the Great's Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography 

Located on the banks of the Neva in the center of St.Petersburg, the Kunstkamera has been the symbol of the Russian Academy of Sciences since the early 18th century. Founded after Peter the Great's Decree, the Museum was opened to the public in 1714. Its purpose was to collect and examine natural and human curiosities and rarities. Today, collections of Peter the Great's Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (Kunstkamera) are among the most complete and interesting in the world. These collections contain nearly one million artifacts and reflect the diversity of traditional cultures in the Old and New World. The Museum has always been one of the world's largest centers where human cultural heritage is studied, continuing the traditions of the great Russian cultural and physical anthropologists of the 18 - 20th centuries.

869 m
6
Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange

Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange

The Spit of Vasilyevsky Island

The main building in the architectural complex of The Spit of Vasilyevsky Island

The building, which is situated at Birzhevaya Ploschad 4, is a significant example of the Greek Revival architecture. Designed by French architect Thomas de Thomon and inspired by the Greek Temple of Hera at Paestum, the stock exchange was constructed between 1805 and 1810. It was built for the St. Petersburg Stock Exchange, but was subsequently used for a different purpose. As of 2011 the building houses the exposition of the Central Naval Museum.

The Old Stock Exchange is sited to fill the majestic sweep of the Spit (in Russian Strelka) of Vasilievsky Island, just opposite the Winter Palace. Thomon's design called for a peristyle of forty four Doric columns resting upon a massive stylobate of red granite and supporting an entablature of triglyphs and slotted metopes. A monumental sculptural group similar in form to aquadriga featuring Neptune, and symbolizing maritime commerce, is mounted above the portico. Both inside and outside the Bourse, a motif of the semicircle is recurrent. The interior features a large colonnaded trading hall, now divided into eight exhibition halls. The central rooms are illuminated by an oblong skylight. The surrounding ceiling features double-sunk coffers.

257 m
7
The Rostral Columns

The Rostral Columns

Saint Petersburg, Vasilievsky Ostrov, Birzhevaya Ploschad

In the 18th century the columns fulfiled the role of lighthouses

The first two rostrum columns, Chesmenskaya and Moreiskaya, were built in the 1770s at Tsarskoe Selo (near Pushkin) in memory of the victories of the Russian fleet (see Russian Naval Memorials). In St. Petersburg there are two rostral columns erected from granite and pudost stone in 1805-10 (architect Jean-Francois Thomas de Thomon) on the spit of Vasilyevsky Island (see also Stock Market Square). From the very start they served as beacons for the trading port. Inside the rostral columns are spiral staircases, leading to the squares are chalice shaped lamps on tripods (since 1957 the gas beacons of the columns have been lit for celebrations). At the pedestal of the columns are sculptures (the craftsman S. Sukhanov, the sculptors J. Camberlain and J. Thibaud), they are traditionally considered allegories for the Volga and Dnepr rivers (the northern column), the Neva and Volkhov (the southern column). In 1999-2000, they were restored.

189 m
8
Peter and Paul Fortress

Peter and Paul Fortress

St. Petersburg, Zayachy ostrov

A unique historical, architectural and fortification art monument of XVIII-XIX centuries

Founded by Peter the Great in 1703, St. Peter and Paul Fortress is considered to be a unique fortification monument of XVIII-XIX centuries. Its architectural ensemble is focused around St. Peter and Paul Cathedral where the tombs of all the Russian emperors can be found.

The Peter and Paul Fortress is put on May 27, 1703. According to the legend, Peter I himself chose a place for new fortress – the small Hare island (in Finnish – Enisaari), located in the Neva River mouth. The citadel in the form of a six-pointed star was constructed according to the project made by the French engineer Zh.G. Lamber with the participation of the tsar. Six curtains connect six powerful bastions, the associates of Peter I called by names.

The defensive system from the West and the East is closed by Ioannovsky and Alekseevsky ravelins. Two bridges — Ioannovsky and Kronverksky - connect the Hare island with Petrograd. On October 1, 1703 fortress consecrated. On the Monarchic bastion the Andreevsky colors were hoisted, on ramparts three hundred tools are installed. On June 29, 1703 in the center of the Peter and Paul Fortress put small wooden church for the sake of apostles Pyotr and Pavel on which place in 1712-1732 built a stone cathedral. From 1731 to 1858 Peter and Paul Cathedral had the status of the cathedral temple of the capital, then was ranked as court department. The cathedral served as a tomb of reigning House of Romanovs. Here the Russian emperors and empresses from Peter I to Nikolay II, except for Pyotr II and Ioann of VI are buried. To a cathedral the covered gallery connected the Grand-ducal tomb.

Within the XVIII-XIX centuries in the territory of fortress buildings and constructions of different function were built: Botny house, Artillery, Mint, Commandant's and Engineering house, an also guardroom and others. In the XVIII century fortress became a jail of the state criminals, in XIX — the main political prison of Russia. At the emperor Alexander I at the beginning of the XIX century fortress was for the first time open for visitors. In the 1900th years in Peter and Paul Cathedral tours on an imperial necropolis were conducted. In 1924 Trubetskoy's prison of a bastion turned into the museum. In 1954 the complex of buildings of the Peter and Paul Fortress was passed the State museum of history of Leningrad (St. Petersburg).

The territory of the fortress and the beach are open for public. The main cites include the history of everyday life in St.Petersburg in the XVIII-XIX centuries in the House of the Commandant of the garrison. One may visit the prison of Trubetskoy bastion that once used to be the political prison. Among those prisoners who are well-known in the world were L.Trotsky and F.Dostoyevsky. The Boat house shows the first ship that started the history of Russin fleet.

 

1 km, 311 m
9
Museum of The  Defense and The Siege of Leningrad

Museum of The Defense and The Siege of Leningrad

St. Petersburg, Solyanoy pereulok, 9

Museum dedicated to Leningrad history in 1941-1944 years

Museum dedicated to the siege of Leningrad in 1941-1944.The decision on preservation of the memorial weapon and military equipment and the organization of the first exhibition "Heroic Defense of Leningrad" which opened in 1944 was made in 1943 in the besieged city. In 1945 the exhibition was visited by the marshal G. K. Zhukov and the general of allies D. Eisenhower. The opening of the museum took place soon afterwards on January 27, 1946. The State Museum of Defense and the Siege of Leningrad is the only cultural and educational establishment, which activity is completely devoted to history of the Leningrad fight during World War II. Documents and personal belongings of the times of Patriotic War are exposed there. They show courage and heroism of the residents who defended Leningrad.

The lectern of the conductor executing the Seventh (Leningrad) symphony of Shostakovich in Philharmonic hall in the days of Blockade, microphone by which Olga Berggolts talked to residents on the Leningrad radio, the hardened bread which was given by cards to  Leningrad residents, and many other original exhibits are exposed at the museum.

2 km, 920 m
10
Museum of Applied Arts at A.T.Stiglitz Academy of Arts and Crafts

Museum of Applied Arts at A.T.Stiglitz Academy of Arts and Crafts

St. Petersburg, Solyanoy per., 13

The museum was founded in 1878. Its building is a jewel of Historicism in architecture. The museum keeps over 40 thousand works of applied art from antiquity to modern age.

The Museum of Applied Arts of the St. Petersburg Academy of Art and Design is one of a number of interesting and distinctive phenomena in Russia. The building was designed by M.Messmacher and spanned for eleven years. On 30 April 1896, the grand opening of the Museum was held in the presence of the Imperial family. Today the Museum collections number over 30.000 works of applied art from ancient times to the present. An extensive collection of Western European porcelain, Far Eastern ceramics, 16-18th century furniture are featured along with collections of glassware, and the best of students' work. These works reflect trends in Russian applied art over the years.

72 m
11
Marsovo pole (The Field of Mars)

Marsovo pole (The Field of Mars)

Saint Petersburg, Marsovo pole

A large park named after Mars, the Roman god of war, situated in the center of Saint Petersburg

The history of Field of Mars goes back to the first years of Saint Petersburg. At that time it was called the Great Meadow. Later it was the setting for celebrations to mark Russia's victory in the Great Northern War and the field was renamed the Amusement Field (Poteshnoe Pole). In the 1740s the Amusement Field was turned for a short while into a walking park with paths, lawns, and flowers. Its next name – Tsarina’s Meadow – appeared after the royal family commissioned Rastrelli to build the Summer Palace for Empress Elizabeth. But towards the end of the 18th century Tsarina’s Meadow became a military drill ground where they erected monuments commemorating the victories of the Russian Army and where parades and military exercises took place regularly.

After the February Revolution in 1917 the Field of Mars finally lost its significance as a military drill ground and became a memorial area, used to buried the revolution's honoured dead. In summer 1942 the Field of Mars was completely covered with vegetable gardens to supply the besieged Leningrad.

635 m
12
Palace square

Palace square

St. petersburg, Dvortsovaya pl.

The main square of Saint-Petersburg

One of the most beautiful and harmonious ensembles of architecture in the world, Palace Square remains the main public space of St. Petersburg throughout nearly three centuries.

Palace Square was laid out in 1819-1829 by Carlo Rossi, a neoclassicist architect of Italian descent who designed a large number of streets and squares in St. Petersburg. The picturesque Baroque Winter Palace (built in 1754-62) stands on the northern side of the square. Across the square, on the southern side, there is a classical yellow-and-white General Staff building (built in 1819-29 by Carlo Rossi). This building encircles the Southern side of the square and through its central arch, designed as a Triumphal Arch of the Classical World, you can reach Nevsky Prospect. On the eastn side the building of the former Royal Guards' General Staff tastefully closes the panorama of Palace Square, while on the West the square borders with the Admiralty and the Admiralty Garden.

Many significant events took place here, including the Bloody Sunday massacre in 1905 and the October Revolution in 1917.

Today the enormous square is more peaceful. Locals often gather here and tourists gaze at the architectural delights or stand in line to get to the Hermitage. Political rallies and official ceremonies still take place here, although today you're more likely to see a concert or festival here.

1 km, 345 m
13
"Savior on the Spilled Blood" Church Museum

"Savior on the Spilled Blood" Church Museum

St. Petersburg, Griboedova canal embankment, 2, lit. b

This church was built on the site where tsar Alexander II was assassinated

This Church was built on the site where Emperor Alexander II was severely wounded and died in March 1881.The church was built from 1883 till 1907. The construction was funded by the imperial family.

Architecturally, the Cathedral differs from St. Petersburg's other structures. The Church contains over 7500 square meters of mosaics—according to its restorers, more than any other church in the world. The walls and ceilings inside the Church are completely covered in intricately detailed mosaics — the main pictures being biblical scenes or figures — but with very fine patterned borders setting off each picture.

1 km, 490 m
14
State Russian Museum

State Russian Museum

St. Petersburg, Ingenernaya street, 4

An excellent sample of High Classicism in Russian architecture

The principal collections of the Russian Museum are located in the Mikhailovsky Palace. It was constructed for one of the emperor Paul I’s sons, the grand duke Mikhail Pavlovich, upon the project of the architect C. Rossi.  From the very beginning of its existence, the palace was recognized as an architectural masterpiece not only on the territory of Russia, but also in all Europe. The receptions given in this palace were frequented by the most famous Russian poets and writers, such as Alexander Pushkin. The palace was also famous for its musical salon, where the best European singers, musicians, and composers came to. It was a place where the residents of St. Petersburg could listen to such celebrities as Liszt, Berlioz, Schuman, Wagner, and many others.

At the end of 19 century, the palace which is partially reconstructed in three years for the museum purposes and accepted collections of Winter Palace, Gatchina and Aleksandrovsky Palaces, the Hermitage and the Museum of  the Academy of Arts, and also  private collections donated to the museum. Now the collection of the Russian Museum contains more than 400 000 exhibits and covers all historical periods and tendencies of the history of the Russian art through more than 1000 years (from the XI till the XXI century), and the variety of all its principal types and genres, directions and schools.

And also the museum contains a rich collection of folk and applied arts, including different objects representing national crafts, embroideries, fabrics, fragments of the Russian log huts, women's suits of different Russian regions.

359 m
15
The Russian Museum of Ethnography

The Russian Museum of Ethnography

St. Petersburg, Ingenernaya street, 4/1

The Department of Ethnography of the Russian Museum was founded on April 13th, 1895, by a supreme decree of His Majesty, Nikolas II, in memory of his father, Emperor Alexander III.

In the late 19th c., both the purpose and the perspective plan for the formation of the Russian Museum was defined. The museum was to be comprised of three departments: the Department of Fine Arts (the Mikhailovsky Palace), the Department of Ethnography, and a department dedicated specifically to the memory of Emperor Alexander III.

A young and talented architect, Vasiliy Svinin, whose plan for the reconstruction of the Mikhailovsky Palace was chosen by the Empress Maria Feodorovna herself, was commissioned to develop the plans for the Ethnographic and the Memorial Departments, and he managed to oversee all aspects of the complex’s completion.

According to the architect’s plan, the building of the Department of Ethnography was to be constructed exclusively through the use of state funding and domestically produced materials; it called for the implementation of the most advanced methods, requiring the latest in equipment technology. This being the case, Svinin chose Olonets marble to decorate the halls, which was quarried not far from St. Petersburg.

At the request of the first Manager of the Russian Museum, the Grand Prince George Mikhailovich, in 1910 the cornice of the museum was adorned with the sculpture of “Athena - the Patroness of Arts and Trades”, by the sculptor, Matvey Kharlamov.

The crystal ceiling slabs of the Memorial Department with their images of two-headed eagles were produced by goldsmiths of the Moscow based trading house, I. P. Khlebnikov, Sons & Co.

The building was intended to become an integral part of the Mikhailovskaya Square ensemble that was created by Carlo Rossi in the first half of the 19th c., and the design by the architect, Svinin, successfully met all of the set requirements.

197 m
16
Mikhailovsky Castle

Mikhailovsky Castle

St. Petersburg, Sadovaya str., 2

The building was built by architects V. Brenna and V. Bazhenov in the style of romantic classicism

Mikhailovsky Castle or Engineers’ Castle is the former imperial palace in the center of St. Petersburg which is situated at 2 Sadovaya Street. It was built for Emperor Paul I at the turn of XVIII-XIX centuries and became a place of his death. The building was built by architects V. Brenna and V. Bazhenov in the style of romantic classicism.
Mikhailovsky Castle was named after Archangel Mikhael who was the patron saint of the House of Romanov. And the word “castle” (which is not typical in Russia) was chosen because Paul I (who took the title of Grand Master of the Order of Malta) called all his palaces "castles"; the second name "Engineers’" began to use since Mikhailovsky Castle was presented to the Central College of Engineering in the early 1820s.

There are some legends associated with the murder of Paul in the castle. It is said that a few months before the death of Emperor one crackpot appeared in St. Petersburg (in some versions - Xenia of St. Petersburg), which foretold that he will live as many years as the number of letters in the inscription above the Voskresenskie gate of the new palace. In the Biblical aphorism «ДОМУ ТВОЕМУ ПОДОБАЕТЪ СВЯТЫНЯ ГОСПОДНЯ ВЪ ДОЛГОТУ ДНЕЙ» (“O Lord, holiness for long days belong to your house”) are forty seven letters. He was killed being forty seven.

If you want to visit the museum in the evening, it is open from 1 p.m. till 9 p.m. on Thursdays. Tuesday is a day off.

531 m
17
BED&BIKE

BED&BIKE

Saint Petersburg, nab. reki Fontanki, 77 (entrance from the side of embankment through the arch, in the courtyard)

BED&BIKE is a friendly bike rental in the center of St. Petersburg and also a hostel

Bicycle rental in the historical center, from where you can reach the main sights of the city.
 100 bicycles for rental: city bikes, sport bikes, children's, stylish cruisers and retro bikes.
Delivery of bicycles, night rent, round-the-clock work on request, organization of group events.

BED&BIKE — live and ride in St.Petersburg!

2 km, 315 m
18

Useful information

Bikes can be rented on the Fontanka, 77, BED&BIKE RENTAL