Following the scenery of the «Piter FM»

The route will get you acknowledged with the places in Saint Petersburg that have become the scenery for «Piter FM» film. 

Masha works as a DJ for a popular radio channel in St.Petersburg, Maksim is an ambitious young architect. Masha is going to get married to her classmate, Kostya, while Maksim intends to work in Germany after he won an international architect contest. What do they have in common?

Maksim does not want to leave St.Petersburg because he still loves his ex-girlfriend, and Masha is not sure about her future with Kostya. If Masha had not lost her mobile phone, and Maksim had not found it, their lives would have continued as planned...

This story could happen just in the in big city streets. Every day the city brings two people together and then separates them again. Here is a sensible story about two young people who have to deal with their hard choice and decide for themselves what is really important.

  • points of interest 3 ,
  • squares 1 ,
  • bridges 5
14 km, 967 m
Silin Bridge

Silin Bridge

St. Petersburg, Silin Bridge

Pontoon bridge was built here in the 1760s instead of the ferrying. In 1776 a permanent three-span wooden bridge was built and in 1864 and 1878 it was rebuilt and reconstructed.

A modern single-span reinforced concrete bridge was built in 1936. The bridge is decorated with cast-iron handrails with bronze bas-reliefs and was constructed by L.Dietrich. The stone foundations are on the pile basement with a concrete pad. Supports and spans are cladded in granite. The bridge got its name after the land and pub owner.

In 1936, when the wooden bridge was being replaced for the reinforced concrete one, the bridge got the name "Pionersky" and had been bearing it till 1991, when it was given back the original title.

The main character - Masha - is running across the Karpovka river emb. and turning to Silin Bridge at Kamennoostrovsky prospekt of Petrogradskaya storona (Petrograd side).

1
Leo Tolstoy Square

Leo Tolstoy Square

St. Petersburg, Leo Tolstoy Square

During the rule of Peter I there was a courtyard of his companion Bishop Theophan Prokopovich near this place. For this reason ulitsa Lva Tolstogo (Leo Tolstoy street), starting from the square, was known as Arkhiyereyskaya ulitsa (Bishopric street).

"House with towers" is now at the place where in the 1890s a Dutch cacao storehouse of a Prussian citizen S.Felkel was situated. According to the project of V.Reis, Kamennoostovsky cycling ground was built between this building and the Karpovka river emb. in 1895. In winter the Northern Skating rink was situated on the territory of the cycling ground. It was the place where on the 8th of March 1898 a game of Russian hockey was played for the first time. In the same year, on the 31st of May on the same ground the first match of French boxing in Russia was held, which was recorded as the first Russian boxing competition.

In 1897 Petropavlovskaya  hospital (Peter and Paul hospital) was opened to the northeast from this place.

At the beginning of the 20th century Bolshoi prospekt was extended till the river Karpovka, and the square (the former enlargement of Arkhiyereyskaya ulitsa with its intersection with Kamennoostrovsky prospekt) was built up completely and got its modern look. Initially the square was nameless. In the 1920s it was named after got Leo Tolstoy, a little bit later than former Arkhiyereyskaya ulitsa that was renamed in 1918.

This is the place where Masha and Maksim have met: on the pedestrian crossing they have just shot a swift glance at each other. Then Masha lost her mobile phone among pedestrians, and Maksim found it.

None
2
The Nikolayevs' house

The Nikolayevs' house

St. Petersburg, Sadovaya ul., 25

The Nikolayevs' house is one of the most interesting houses in Saint-Petersburg. It is located at Sadovaya ulitsa and occupies the whole block of houses between Bankovsky pereulok and Muchnoy pereulok. Only if you look at it thoughtfully, you understand that it is a unified building. It has four different parts that have four different addresses: Muchnoy pereulok 4, Sadovaya ulitsa 25, Bankovsky pereulok 5 and Moskatelny pereulok 3.

Initially the building was built in the end of 18th century in the style of classicism that dominated in the architecture of that time. See a three-cornered attic, Corinthian pilasters and cornices decorating the windows of the second floor to make sure about the style. The next modifications were made by architect Liven in 1842 when he overbuilt an arcading to place some small stores across Sadovaya ulitsa. In 1879-1880 there was an immense rebuilding after the P.Volkov’s project. The arcading was enclosed with glass and a front to Muchnoy lane was rebuilt in the popular architectural tendence of that time: eclecticism. However these changes were not the last. In 1903 an architect G.Lutsedarsky rebuilt the corner side of the building with its intersection with Bankovsky pereulok and Sadovaya ulitsa. The modern art nouveau style was the main architectural style at that time, so Lutsedarsky decorated the pedestal with fractured particles of granite and in the partition of the walls between windows women heads sculptures were set up.

In the film there was a Housing Service and Utility in front of this building. The employees wanted to get keys from apartments and send him to the Resident Registration Office and then to the police due to hooliganism.

3 km, 944 m
3
Podyachesky Bridge

Podyachesky Bridge

St. Petersburg, Podyachesky bridge

Podyachesky most (Podyachesky bridge) connects Kazansky and Spassky islands through Kanal Griboyedova. This bridge was given its name after Bolshaya Podyacheskaya ulitsa (also neighboring Malaya Podyachesckaya ulitsa and Srednyaya Podyachesckaya ulitsa) inhabited by minor civil servants “podyachiye” in the 18th century. The word “podyachiye” refers to secretary sacristans and scriveners assistants in Ancient Rus.

In 1906 a wooden pedestrian bridge over Yekaterininsky kanal (Catherine’s canal – present Kanal Griboyedova) was thrown at this place, replaced by a single-span reinforced concrete bridge in 1971-1972. Basic frames of the bridge are constructed in the form of the cantilevers that conjugate to an imperfect hinge while the bridge supports form an inverted arch. For the first time this technique was applied in 1967 during the construction of Novo-Konyushenny Bridge over Kanal Griboyedova.

In the four corners of the bridge there are granite obelisks with lanterns that used to be decorating Aleksandrovsky most (Alexander's bridge) over Vvedensky Kanal near its confluence with the Fontanka River. When the kanal was filled up in 1965 – 1970, Aleksandrovsky Bridge,  built in 1808 – 1814, was dismantled, and the obelisks of a considerable artistic value were transferred to Podyachesky Bridge.

Maksim was crossing Podyachesky bridge during his city cycling.

1 km, 390 m
4
K.I. Kapustin's house

K.I. Kapustin's house

St. Petersburg, Fontanka embankement, 159

This house embodies the best features of the Northern Modern (Art Nouveau) style. Originally the building was reconstructed for a building contractor K. I. Kapustin in 1910 – 1912. The clerk was born in 1879 and was the 5th son of a merchant Ivan Kapustin. In 1908 he graduated from St. Petersburg Institute of Civil Engineering and started contract works. He inherited houses #157 and #159 and decided to rebuild house #159, having delegated this task to Alexey Bubyr, who was his fellow student. At that time Alexey had already been a famous sculptor.

It was very difficult to develop the full project: inconsistencies occurred all the time. For instance, the building plot had inconvenient location, among the great amount of different and rather boring buildings. Thus, Bubyr took the risk and built a memorial house which would be a center of the vast area around. The building had to become a family symbol, a secure place, which would protect from all trouble. The architect had been developing such projects throughout all his art activity.

It was the Kapustin House that had become an ideal of all numerous works invented by the architect. The building looks powerful, its south side, facing the Fontanka River Embankment, represents a supremacist composition. You should look carefully to notice interrelated axial symmetries. They may seem ordinary facade windows: the entrance axle moves smoothly into bay windows, later into tongs; verticals of the bicolor façade are decorated with light hue plaster.

 Before the Revolution it was a commercial apartment building and was being rented. Kapustin lived in a flat #9. Today it is a common dwelling house.

The house is unique, that is why, the character of the film, who was an architect himself, admired it so much.

2 km, 689 m
5
Belinskogo Bridge

Belinskogo Bridge

St. Petersburg, Most Belinskogo

In 1733 a wooden pile bridge was erected on this place, it was decorated as a stone arched bridge. Semyonovsky Most (Semyonovsky Bridge) was named after Church of Ss. Simeon and Anna, situated near it. In 1785 it was reconstructed into a three-span bridge (a middle span is wooden, lifting) by architect Pirone. The bridge pillars were built of stone masonry and faced with granite. Side bridge spans are overlapped with stones arches. The granite architectural towers with lifting mechanism rose on the bridge piers. In 1859 a middle lifting wooden span was changed into stone arch, and granite towers were removed. In 1890 to expand a driveway pavements of the bridge were installed on the consoles. Cast-iron brackets were installed on the bridge piers and foundations. A pavement beam is attached to the brackets. 

This is the place where Maksim receives a call from Masha while he is crossing Belinskogo Bridge. Maksim is trying to write down the number of Masha's landline phone but accidentally lets it drop into Fontanka river.

3 km, 528 m
6
2nd Engineer Bridge

2nd Engineer Bridge

St. Petersburg, Admiralteisky District

Maxim is wandering around the streets. Suddenly he starts to climb the fence of Vtoroy Inzhenerny Most (2nd Engineer Bridge) at naberezhnaya reki Fontanki 2 (Fontanka River embankment 2). At this moment Masha is calling him. They are speaking all night long. By the way, her home is on the opposite side, a bit to the right. On the opposite side there are houses №20 and 22 and her house is №24.

None
7
Lower Swan Bridge

Lower Swan Bridge

St. Petersburg, Lower Swan Bridge

Nizhny Lebyazhy Most (Lower Swan Bridge) is a bridge over Lebyazhiya kanavka (Swan groove) close to its confluence with Moyka.

In 1720-1733 a wooden drawbridge, established by engineer Harmen van Bol'es was located on this place. It was named Pervy Tsaritsynsky Most (1st  Tsarina’s bridge), as it was situated close to Tsaritsynsky Lug (Tsarina’s Meadow, or the Field of Mars). By 1760 the bridge had been turned into a joist passage. In 1835 – 1837, when territory next to Mikhailovsky Castle was beingreplanned, engineers P.-D. Bazaine, A.D.Gottman and A.I. Remezov built a new bridge at the place of crossing. A stone arched single-span bridge was named Nizhny Lebyazhy Most (Lower Swan Bridge). Its fronts and pillars are faced with granite. In 1849 a sunken arch was repaired. In 1925 – 1926 engineers B.D. Vasiliev and A.L. Salarev reconstructed the bridge. A brick span construction was demolished and on its place a solid reinforced concrete arch faced with granite was built.

Film characters are close to each other, but are unable to meet. Masha wearing a raincoat is looking at Lebyazhiya kanavka. It starts to rain. The next episode was shot in the same place. It is right next to the place. The bus stop is situated on the embankment of Lebyazhiya kanavka. Masha is passing behind the bus station while Maxim is sitting inside to hide from rain and speaking to the Gypsies.

188 m
8
Lebyazhiya kanavka (Swan groove)

Lebyazhiya kanavka (Swan groove)

St. Petersburg, Millionnaya ul., 1

In 1711 – 1719 a small marshy river Lebedinka(after Russian "lebed" for "swan"), flowing between Moyka and Neva was cleaned, deepened and rrenamed into Letny Kanal (Summer Canal) or Canal of the Summer Gardens. A short while later, swans from artificial ponds settled there and the Canal was renamed into Lebyazhiya kanavka (Swan groove). By 1733 four wooden bridges had been built and the banks had been strengthened with wooden planks. In 1799 architect Pilnikov built a stone terrace on the right bank of the canal, from the side of the Summer Gardens. In 1953 – 1956 the canal bottom was deepened, the banks were decorated with granite, slopes were covered with turf.

None
9