Reconstructed churches of Saint Petersburg

  • temples and cathedrals 7
88 km, 446 m
Kronshtadt Naval Cathedral

Kronshtadt Naval Cathedral

Saint-Petersburg, Kronshtadt, Yakornaya square, 1

The cathedral was built to commemorate perished sailors. The Naval Cathedral is more than 100 years.

At the end of the 19 century it was decided to build the Naval Cathedral on Anchors square to memorize sailors perished at the Russian fleet. The architect V. Kosyakov was in charge of the design. One of his designs was approved by Nikolay II in spring 1901.

The ceremonial laying of the walls took place on the 8th of March 1903 with the emperor Nikolay II and members of the imperial family presence. On the whole construction of the cathedral was quite fast. Interior finish was commenced already in 1907. The cathedral was illuminated by 5 thousand lights.

The Naval Cathedral was ceremonially consecrated in the name of Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker on the 10th of June 1913. The cathedral reminds a plan of Hagia Sophia temple in Constantinople but with some proportion changes. The length of the building is 83,2m, the width is 64m, the height with the cross is 76m, the dome diameter is 26,7m.

Interior decor was made in the Byzantine style and was connected with marine theme - picture of ship parts, fish, sea monsters. The floor is mosaic of small colorful marble with the images of vessels, sea stars, crabs, seaweeds, outlandish fish. 130 memorial tablets of black marble with the names of perished sailors and 20 tablets of white marble with the names of perished ship priests were fixed on the inner walls of the gallery. 

A cinema named after Maksim Gorkiy was opened in the Naval Cathedral building at the beginning of 1930 and part of rooms were used as storage. The crosses were taken down from the domes, the bells were thrown down, the altar was demounted. Art painting of domes and walls inside was covered with paint.

The building itself was reconstructed in 1950: hung ceiling and inner walls for spectators hall for 2500 seats were constructed for the Naval Club. The Sailors Club was established here from 1978 to 1989. May, 2013 - the opening of the cathedral was conducted after its completed restoration to its 100th anniversary from the consecration day.

1
The Cathedral of the Feodorovskaya Icon of Our Lady on Mirgorodskaya street

The Cathedral of the Feodorovskaya Icon of Our Lady on Mirgorodskaya street

Saint Petersburg, Mirgorodskaya street, 1 A

The cathedral, built for the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty.

In 1907, on the threshold of the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty it was decided to lay the foundation of the cathedral, which would resemble the medieval temples of the Upper Volga region. The structure of reinforced concrete was designed in style of 15th-17th century Rostov cathedrals, the ones that had been typical for the times of the first monarch from Romanov dynasty, Mikhail Fedorovich. In 1913, while the construction works had still been in progress, the cross had been mounted on top of the cathedral’s central cupola, and in 1914 the main altar of the cathedral’s upper part was consecrated.

Feodorovsky Cathedral was built, using funds, donated by public (about 500000 rubles were raised nation-wide). The grand cathedral with five cupolas could accommodate 3500 people. The structure’s height was 48 meters, its square - 350 square meters. One of the cathedral’s walls copied the Kremlin wall, which symbolized the unity of Moscow and Saint Petersburg – 2 capitals of Russia.

The cathedral was decorated with colorful glazed tiles and majolica. The northern façade, facing Mirgorodskaya street was revetted with white stone with a great picture of Romanov family tree and an icon of Our Lady on it. Cathedral’s cupola was covered with gilt copper, and a copy of Vasnetsov&rsquo mosaic icon of Our Saviour was placed above the entrance. The cathedral’s belfry was equipped with special “personalized” bells, each one dedicated to a member of Nicholas II’s family.

In 1932 the new government ordered the cathedral to be closed. Later on it was rebuilt, turned into a milk factory and its cupolas were demolished.

In 1993, after the building had been given back to church, the reconstruction works began. Three altars of the cathedral were consecrated by Kirill, the Patriarch of Moscow and all Rus' on September 15, 2013.

6 km, 340 m
3
Andrey Kritsky Church (konstantino-Eleninsky Monastery Metochion)

Andrey Kritsky Church (konstantino-Eleninsky Monastery Metochion)

Metochion of the Church of Constantine and Helena monastery
 

The establishment of the temple and its further history is connected with Tsar-Martyr Nicholas. The reason for the construction of the Church was a wonderful case of salvation, the Royal family and the future Tsar- Nicholas in the train crash October 17, 1888 at the station Borki (60 km South of Kharkov). Due to a technical fault train path train, which went at a speed of 70 km per hour, derailed and crashed, falling off the mound. The number of deaths in the Royal train made up of 21 people. The entire Royal family (the Royal couple Alexander, Maria Fedorovna and their children: the Heir of Nicholas, George, Xenia, Mikhail and Olga) were miraculously spared, receiving only bruises and scratches.

14 Oct 1889, in the eve of the anniversary of the miraculous deliverance of the Emperor and His Royal family from the danger that threatened them in the train crash at Borkov, working in the Expedition of storing state papers decided to build on their donations separate Church Expedition. The construction of the building was carried out from 1891 to 1892.

6 km, 685 m
4
Fyodor Mother of God Cathedral (Pushkin)

Fyodor Mother of God Cathedral (Pushkin)

The Orthodox Church in the suburbs of St. Petersburg Pushkin from Fermsky Park

None
1 km, 20 m
7