The cathedral, built for the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty.
In 1907, on the threshold of the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty it was decided to lay the foundation of the cathedral, which would resemble the medieval temples of the Upper Volga region. The structure of reinforced concrete was designed in style of 15th-17th century Rostov cathedrals, the ones that had been typical for the times of the first monarch from Romanov dynasty, Mikhail Fedorovich. In 1913, while the construction works had still been in progress, the cross had been mounted on top of the cathedral’s central cupola, and in 1914 the main altar of the cathedral’s upper part was consecrated.
Feodorovsky Cathedral was built, using funds, donated by public (about 500000 rubles were raised nation-wide). The grand cathedral with five cupolas could accommodate 3500 people. The structure’s height was 48 meters, its square - 350 square meters. One of the cathedral’s walls copied the Kremlin wall, which symbolized the unity of Moscow and Saint Petersburg – 2 capitals of Russia.
The cathedral was decorated with colorful glazed tiles and majolica. The northern façade, facing Mirgorodskaya street was revetted with white stone with a great picture of Romanov family tree and an icon of Our Lady on it. Cathedral’s cupola was covered with gilt copper, and a copy of Vasnetsov&rsquo mosaic icon of Our Saviour was placed above the entrance. The cathedral’s belfry was equipped with special “personalized” bells, each one dedicated to a member of Nicholas II’s family.
In 1932 the new government ordered the cathedral to be closed. Later on it was rebuilt, turned into a milk factory and its cupolas were demolished.
In 1993, after the building had been given back to church, the reconstruction works began. Three altars of the cathedral were consecrated by Kirill, the Patriarch of Moscow and all Rus' on September 15, 2013.