Petersburg without barriers

The unique route was specially developed for low-mobility groups visiting Saint Petersburg
 

This tourist route covers the main sights in the city center: the State Hermitage Museum, The General Staff Building, Stroganov Palace, Kazan Cathedral and Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood. All the included museums in this route are provided with ramps and welcoming to disabled people.

The route runs on the plain streets and embankments with a smooth coating.  Thanks to this one can easy travel on any kind of vehicle. At any point of the route one can stop and admire the beauty of Saint Petersburg. Also following the route one can visit the tourist attractions, cafe, restaurants and parks.

  • museums 2 ,
  • temples and cathedrals 2 ,
  • squares 1 ,
  • palaces 1
2 km, 567 m
The State Hermitage Museum

The State Hermitage Museum

Saint Petersburg, Dvortsovaya ploshchad, 2

The collection of the State Hermitage includes more than three million works of art and artefacts of the world culture

The State Hermitage Museum is one of the largest artistic and cultural and historical museums in Russia and one of the largest in the world.The museum starts its history from collections of works of art which were gained by Russian empress Catherine II in private capacity.

The main expositions of the State Hermitage are placed in the Main Museum Complex, which is situated in the historical centre of Saint Petersburg. It is represented by  the Winter Palace, which is a former emperor's residence, Small Hermitage, Old Hermitage and New Hermitage, and also Hermitage Theatre.

In the Main Museum Complex of the State Hermitage are presented the monuments of culture and arts of the ancient world, Europe, Russia, the East, archaeological and numismatic collections. In the  Hermitage collection there are two paintings by Leonardo da Vinci and sculpture by Michelangelo, which can be found nowhere else in Russia, as well as the  largest collection of Rembrandt's paintings outside Netherlands.

The expositions of the State Hermitage Museum are also located in the General Staff, the Winter Palace of Peter I, Menshikov Palace, the Museum of the Imperial Porcelain Factory, Staraya Derevnya Restoration and Storage Centre.

Ticket price — 600 roubles

300  roubles – entry ticket to one of the Hermitage branches (Winter Palace of Peter the Great, Menshikov Palace, the Museum of the Imperial Porcelain Factory, Staraya Derevnya Restoration and Storage Centre)

The third Thursday of each month is a day of free entrance to the museum for all individual visitors (with free tickets).

Free entrance: preschool children, school children, students.

1
Palace Square

Palace Square

St. Petersburg, Dvortsovaya ploshchad

Palace Square, the main square of Saint Petersburg 

Palace Square in Saint Petersburg is a place loved by the guests and the inhabitants of the city, the heart of the northern capital of Russia. It is one of the most beautiful architectural ensemble. It is created by the best Russian architects and named after the Winter Palace on it, the latter being built under the project of F.B. Rastrelli in the middle of XVIII century.

In 1819 by Emperor’s commitment architect K.I. Rossi carried out the design of the single architectural ensemble glorifying the Russian victory in the Patriotic War of 1812. The architect’s conception was combining the existing original interiors and new constructions.

Along the southern border of the square constructed the extensive facade of the General Staff Building  was constructed. Its length is 580 meters (the longest facade in the world). In the middle of the building there is the prominent arch decorated with the reliefs depicting the flying geniuses of glory, the architectural composition Cart of Glory with the shapes of warriors nearby, and the winged goddess of victory – Nike (the sculptors - N. Pimenov and V. Demuth-Malinvsky). The height of the sculpture is 10 meters, the height of the arch is 28 meters and the width is 17 meters.

 Alexander Column was built in the square in honor of the victory of the Russian armies over Napoleon. It was built under the project of Auguste de Montferrand in 1834. The column was named after Emperor Alexander I. Weighing 600 tons and being 47,5 meters high, it is crowned with the statue of an angel defeating a snake with a cross which is the symbol of the good defeating the bad. The angel’s head is bent to the ground so his face is seen from below (the architect - B. Orlovsky). The bas-reliefs on the pedestal of the column glorify the Russian victory (the sculptors - I. Lepee and P. Svintsov). The connecting link of all the buildings was the construction of the Guard Headquarters Building on the eastern side of the square completed in 1843 (the architect - A.P. Brullov). The facade of the Guard Headquarters Building is decorated with a portico of twenty ionic columns. The most beautiful building on the Palace Square is the Winter Palace.

This prominent building occupies 9 hectares and has about 1500 rooms. There was the time when the Winter Palace was the highest building in Saint Petersburg and in the central part of the city it was not allowed to put up houses any higher.

181 m
2
General Staff, the Hermitage

General Staff, the Hermitage

St. Petersburg, Palace square, 6-8

Eastern Wing of the General Staff is the new exhibition complex of the State Hermitage

The main exposition areas are combined into three enfilade lines: Dvortsovaya line (along the Dvortsovaya Square), Pevcheskaya line (along the Pevchesky proezd), Rechnaya line (along the embankment of the river Moika) and are supplemented by the central Large enfilade of internal atriums.

A grand sweeping staircase, which is placed in the largest of five inner courtyards, leads to exposition area from the front entrance hall.

The museum’s second floor houses a permanent display The Age of Art Nouveau and a thematic exhibition devoted to the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Empire, which was once accommodated in this building. Occupying the third floor are the exhibitions Under the Sign of the Eagle. The Art of Empire; French Painting and Sculpture of the 19th Century; Western European Art of the 19th Century (Germany. Holland, Belgium), 18th century Russian Guards Museum, as well as a permanent display tracing the history of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Empire, which also used to occupy this part of the General Staff Building. French painting of the second half of the 19th century, including the Impressionists, Post-Impressionists and the artists of the Nabis group, is on view in the fourth floor rooms of Sergey Shchukin and the Morozov Brothers Memorial Gallery. Several rooms present the works by Matisse, Picasso and other 20th century masters.

Temporary exhibitions are regularly held in the rooms of the General Staff Building. It is the main venue for contemporary art display.

Entry ticket price — 600 roubles

138 m
3
Stroganov palace

Stroganov palace

Saint Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 17

Late Baroque palace at the intersection of the Moika River and Nevsky Prospect

One of the best samples of the Russian baroque, the only residential building of the XVIII century on Nevsky Prospect, Stroganov Palace up to 1917 belonged to the most ancient family of industrialists Stroganovs. Constructed in the shortest terms upon the project of one of the most demanded architects of the period, F. B. Rastrelli, it stroked contemporaries with its luxury of decor, magnificence of balls of high society and lunches. In the first half of 19 century Stroganovs started to collect large scientific and art collections.

Later the palace became a place of representation of the large collections of books, the West European and Russian painting, numismatics and minerals, and for this purpose there were built Mineral and Physical studies, and also Library and Art gallery, where the count A.Stroganov, during the time he was the president of Academy of Arts were placed, gave students an opportunity (future illustrious Russian painters) to copy works from his collection.

Today the visit to Stroganov Palace may become a fascinating trip through the pages of its architectural history – from the baroque Rastrelli’s Big hall to the magnificent samples of classicism in Sadovnikov and Voronikhin's interiors. After the renovation and restoration of its architectural decor Stroganov Palace is again filled with works of painting, sculpture and applied arts from the storage of the Russian Museum.

978 m
4
Kazan Cathedral

Kazan Cathedral

St. Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 25

Being built in the Empire style, it is one of the largest temples of Saint Petersburg. It is dedicated to Our Lady of Kazan, probably the most venerated icon in Russia

The cathedral was constructed in Nevsky Prospekt from 1801 till 1811 by architect A.N. Voronikhin by order of Emperor Paul I who wanted the cathedral to resemble St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican. Before it on the place of the cathedral a church was built in 1733-1737 by the architect M.G. Zemtsov.

After the Patriotic War in 1812 it obtained military glory monument status. The famous Russian Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov, who won the most important campaign of 1812, was buried inside the Kazan Cathedral. It had housed the Museum of the History of Religion since 1932 till 1991 and has been a functioning temple since 1991. Since 2000 it has been the cathedral church of the Saint Petersburg Eparchy of the Russian Orthodox Church. Kazanskaya ulitsa, Kazansky Island in the delta of the Neva river and Kazansky Bridge at the intersection of Nevsky Prospekt and the Griboyedov Kanal were named after the Kazan Cathedral. Kazan Cathedral is remarkable for its plan. Half-round colonnade decorates the side façade of the cathedral, not the main one. According to church canons the altar was to face eastwards, the main entrance - westwards.

On the 2nd of July the icon of Our Lady of Kazan was brought here. This relic which had previously belonged to tsaritsa Praskovia Fyodorovna was brought to Saint Petersburg as early as in 1708. Before being brought to a new church in this place in 1737 it had been kept first in the wooden chapel on Posadskaya ulitsa and then in the Trinity Cathedral on the Trinity Square. The consecration of the temple took place on the 13th of the June (according to historian P. Kann) or on the 3rd of July 1737. The second variant seems to be more logical if we consider the date of bringing the icon of Our Lady of Kazan here. There was Anna Ioannovna present at the ceremony of the consecration. In the vernacular this church was called Kananskaya, after the icon the had been kept here. During Elizabeth Petrovna’s reign the church obtained cathedral status and official name “Kazansky Temple”. In the second half of XVIII – the early XIX centuries it was the principal cathedral of Saint Petersburg. In 1739 princess Anna Leopoldovna and prince Anton Urlich and in 1745 the future Emperor and Empress Peter III and Catherine II got married here. In 1762 after the coup d'état Catherine took the guard oath. Kazanskaya church was also the place of the future Emperor Paul I and princess of Hesse-Kassel wedding in 1773.

264 m
5
Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood

St. Petersburg, nab. kanala Griboedova, 2, lit. B

One of the most beautiful, majestic and colorful cathedrals in the Russian Revival (Pseudo-Russian) style, it was built on the place where Emperor Alexander II was assassinated

The temple was built from 1883 till 1907 in the place of the tragic events that happened on the 1st of March 1881 – lethally wounding Emperor Alexander II who was heading to the place of the parade in the Field of Mars that moment. His son Alexander III ordered to build there a church for regular services for the repose of the killed father. That is why the name of the Church on Spilled Blood stuck to the temple, although it is officially called the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ.

The money was donated to the construction of the temple not only by Russians but also by the habitants of Slavic countries. On the walls of the bell tower there are more than a hundred of mosaic coats of arms of the cities, towns, governorates and uyezds who funded the building of the church. There is also the coat of arms of House of Romanov.

The cross of the bell tower is topped with a gold-plated kingly crown in recognition that the biggest contribution to the creation of the church was made by the august family. 4,6 millions of rubles were invested into the construction in total.

Architecturally, the Cathedral differs from St. Petersburg's other structures. The Church contains over 7500 square meters of mosaics—according to its restorers, more than any other church in the world. The walls and ceilings inside the Church are completely covered in intricately detailed mosaics — the main pictures being biblical scenes or figures — but with very fine patterned borders setting off each picture. This mosaic ensemble was worked at by artists V.M. Vasnetsov, M.V. Nesterov and  A.P. Ryabushkin.

For decoration of the heads there were used copper pieces covered with freeze-proof colored enamel (having the area of 1000 square meters). The height of the highest dome is 81 meter. All along the perimeter of the temple building there are set 20 granite plaques with gilded writings describing Alexander II’s deeds. From the side of the Mikhailovsky Garden the temple is surrounded with a cast-iron fence having a with floral made to a sketch by Parland.

After the revolution the Church on Spilled Blood was closed and not restored for a long time. It was even heard to be going to get built-down. In 1970 it was taken under the patronage of Saint Isaac’s Cathedral which invested 80% of money into its restoration. In 1997 the Church on the Spilled Blood threw open its doors for visitors as a museum housing a large collection of mosaic icons (having the area of more than 7 thousand square meters).

847 m
6