Rossi's Petersburg

Get acquainted with the heritage of the city's most outstanding architect

  • squares 3 ,
  • streets 2 ,
  • palaces 1
3 km, 825 m
Palace square

Palace square

St. petersburg, Dvortsovaya pl.

The main square of Saint-Petersburg

One of the most beautiful and harmonious ensembles of architecture in the world, Palace Square remains the main public space of St. Petersburg throughout nearly three centuries.

Palace Square was laid out in 1819-1829 by Carlo Rossi, a neoclassicist architect of Italian descent who designed a large number of streets and squares in St. Petersburg. The picturesque Baroque Winter Palace (built in 1754-62) stands on the northern side of the square. Across the square, on the southern side, there is a classical yellow-and-white General Staff building (built in 1819-29 by Carlo Rossi). This building encircles the Southern side of the square and through its central arch, designed as a Triumphal Arch of the Classical World, you can reach Nevsky Prospect. On the eastn side the building of the former Royal Guards' General Staff tastefully closes the panorama of Palace Square, while on the West the square borders with the Admiralty and the Admiralty Garden.

Many significant events took place here, including the Bloody Sunday massacre in 1905 and the October Revolution in 1917.

Today the enormous square is more peaceful. Locals often gather here and tourists gaze at the architectural delights or stand in line to get to the Hermitage. Political rallies and official ceremonies still take place here, although today you're more likely to see a concert or festival here.

1
Saint Michael's (Engineer's) Castle

Saint Michael's (Engineer's) Castle

St. Petersburg, ul. Sadovaya, 2

The largest architectural monument that closed the architectural history of the XVIII century

The Mikhailovsky Castle is the only Russian palace constructed in style of romantic classicism. It is the unique building, which involves a lot of stories and legends, often rather mystical. It amalgamates features of a medieval knight's castle and a European palace of XVIII century. Constructed for Paul I (1797 – 1801) upon the project of architects V. Bazhenov and V. Brenna, the Castle became the place of its owner’s mysterious death. That is why during the long time here, in the very heart of the imperial St. Petersburg, two windows of the emperor’s bedroom where his life came to a tragic end were thoroughly curtained during traditional festive illuminations of the city.

At the beginning of the XIX century the Castle, "a deserted monument of the tyrant, a palace consigned to oblivion", accepted in its walls  military men and cultural figures, and later it became the residence of the Engineering school, and magnificent interiors of the former imperial palace were reconstructed and adapted for its needs. During a long time the Castle was named Inzhenernyi, and this name was connected to the Engineering school.  Throughout the Soviet period the Castle was occupied by various military organizations.

And now the restored rooms of the Castle you can visit an interactive exposition "The Romanov Saga" and an open storage of XIX - the beginning of the XXI centuries sculpture, as well as the original marble sculpture of the Summer garden that is also stored here, and equally it is a place where temporary exhibitions are held.

1 km, 541 m
2
St. Petersburg, Arts square

St. Petersburg, Arts square

Iskusstv pl.

Arts Square of Saint Petersburg is in the list of  UNESCO

Arts Square is home to the Russian Museum, the Mikhaylovsky Theatre, the Large Concert Hall (Bolshoi Zal) of the St. Petersburg Philarmonic, thePushkin monument and is not far from the Church of the Savior on Blood.

648 m
3
Italianskaya Street

Italianskaya Street

St. Petersburg, Italyanskaya ulitsa

One the most beautiful and popular streets of the city

The street was laid in the first half of the 18th century. Its left side partly borders Iskusstv Square. The street was built up in the mid-19th - early 20th centuries, including house No. 7, one side of the Hotel Europa; house No. 8, the former building of the Mutual Loan Society of the St. Petersburg Provincial Zemstvo (Provincial Government Council) (1893-94, architect A.S.Khrenov); house No. 12, the former Military-Topographic School building. The view of Italyanskaya Street is completed by one side of the Countess S.L. Shuvalova Palace, house No. 39/21

352 m
4
Zodchego Rossi Street

Zodchego Rossi Street

St. Petersburg, Ulitsa Zodchego Rossi

The most proportional street in Saint Petersburg

None
894 m
5
Lomonosova Square

Lomonosova Square

St. Petersburg, Lomonosova pl.

Lomonosova Square is situated in the very heart of the historic part of the city

240 m
6