Zagorodny Prospekt

This route will tell you more of the unofficial showplace in St. Petersburg

  • points of interest 7 ,
  • railway stations 1 ,
  • squares 1 ,
  • streets 1
2 km, 629 m
Vladimirskaya Square

Vladimirskaya Square

St. Petersburg, Tsentral'ny district,

The square is bounded by Zagorodny Avenue, Vladimirsky Avenue, Kuznechny Lane, Kolokolnaya Street, and Bolshaya Moskovskaya Street

1739 - Torgovaya Square, 1923-50 - Nakhimsona Square after revolutionary S. M. Nakhimson (1885-1918). Houses are numbered in the same sequence as in Vladimirsky Avenue.

The square was so named after the Church of Our Lady of Vladimir, which has existed since the 1860s. It was designed by the Commission for St. Petersburg Buildings in the 1740s. The square and streets around it were assigned for the Court Settlement - a settlement of court craftsmen and workers. The image of the square formed in the late 19th century. Vladimirskaya metro station was put into service in 1955, Dostoevskaya metro station in 1991. A monument to F. M. Dostoevsky by sculptors L. M. Kholin and P. P. Ignatyev, artist P. A. Ignatyev, and architect V. L. Spiridonov was opened not far from the square in Bolshaya Moskovskaya Street in 1997.

1
A.A. Delvig's house

A.A. Delvig's house

St. Petersburg, Zagorodnyy pr. 1,9

In this house a famous russian poet A.S. Pushkin used to spend his time

74 m
2
A.G. Rubinshteyn's house

A.G. Rubinshteyn's house

St. Petersburg, Zagorodnyy pr., 5

The house is known as a place of secret Lenin`s meetings and his associates, as well as that here lived Anton Rubinstein - russian composer and pianist

119 m
3
T.G.Shevchenko's house

T.G.Shevchenko's house

St. Petersburg, Zagorodnyy pr., 8

In thia house lived one of the founders of the modern Ukrainian language - Taras Shevchenko

34 m
4
Five Corners

Five Corners

St. Petersburg, Zagorodny pr., 11

Informal name of the crossroads, formed by Zagorodny Avenue, Lomonosova Street, Rubinstein Street and Razyezzhaya Street

The 6-storey apartment house crowned with a turret at the top and facing the crossroads with its sharp angle was constructed in 1913 by architect A.L. Lishnevsky in Neoclassicism style.

186 m
5
Varlamov's house

Varlamov's house

St. Petersburg, Zagorodn
101 m
6
Apartment houses of a philistine society

Apartment houses of a philistine society

St. Petersburg, Zagorodnyy pr., 31
None
425 m
7
Vitebsky railway station

Vitebsky railway station

St.Petersburg, Zagorodny prospekt, 52

The first railway station in Russia

In a departure from normal practice of the Soviet years, the Vitebsk station preserved its elevated train shed, five platforms and luggage elevators almost intact, making it an ideal location for filming Soviet adaptations of Anna KareninaSherlock Holmes stories, and other 19th-century classics.

On the other hand, much architectural detail was removed from the facade and halls during insensitive Soviet renovations. Just prior to the tercentenary celebrations of 2003, the station underwent a painstaking restoration of its original interior and Jugendstil decor. Apart from the replica of the first Russian train, curiosities of the Vitebsk Station include a detached pavilion for the Tsar and his family and a marble bust of Nicholas I.

Services from the station run to Central EuropeBaltic StatesUkraineBelarus and the southern suburbs of St. Petersburg, such as Pushkinand Pavlovsk. The station is connected to the Pushkinskaya Station of the Saint Petersburg Metro.

630 m
8
Building of Institute of Technology

Building of Institute of Technology

St. Petersburg, Zagorodny pr., 49

Institute was founded in 1828 under the name of the Petersburg Practical Technology Institute.

It is one of the oldest centers of technical education. Technological Institute actively cooperates with leading foreign educational and research institutions. Professors from European universities take part in its academic activities; students and postgraduates have the right to intern at foreign enterprises.

669 m
9
Moskovsky Avenue

Moskovsky Avenue

St. Petersburg, Moskovsky prospekt

Avenue connects the city centre and its southern districts, and marks the beginning of the road to Moscow

From the first half of the 18th century to 1878, the section from the Fontanka River to Moskovskie Gates was called Sarskaya Road or Tsarskoselskaya Perspektiva.

The 1950s were notable for the development of the Olympia Garden and construction of Building 26 (1955) that houses the metro administration and Tekhnologichesky institut metro station

During the Siege of 1941-44, the forefront of Leningrad defence line was set close to Moskovsky Avenue.

The following metro stations are located on Moskovsky Avenue: Tekhnologichesky Institut, Frunzenskaya, Moskovskie Vorota, Elektrosila, Park Pobedy, and Moskovskaya.

166 m
10