Saint Petersburg Stations

Railway stations are the adornment of Petersburg. They smoothly fit in the city's history beacuse each of them cherishes the memories about events that took place at Northen Venice

St. Petersburg is very well connected to Moscow, Baltic States and Scandinavian countries. The easiest way to get here is by train or bus from Finland or Estonia. There are also many daily trains between St. Petersburg and Moscow. St. Petersburg's only airport - Pulkovo - has two terminals and is in deep need of renovation. There are also many cruise ships and several interntional ferries stopping at the city's port, which is quite well connected to the center.

  • points of interest 1 ,
  • railway stations 5
23 km, 682 m
Baltiysky railway station

Baltiysky railway station

St.Petersburg, naberezhnaya Obvodnogo Kanala, 120

One of the busiest railway stations in Russia by volume of suburban traffic

The station was modelled by architect Alexander Krakau. Construction started in 1854. The station was opened on 21 July 1857 as the Peterhof Railway Station.

The station retains a glass roof over the terminal platforms and is flanked by two-storey wings. The left one used to be reserved for members of the Russian royalty who went to their palaces in StrelnaPeterhofOranienbaum. A glass panel on the façade still features the original clock, designed by Pavel Bure, a celebrated watchmaker to the tsar and the ice-hockey players' ancestor.

In 1872, after the railway line was extended to Reval (Tallinn), the Peterhof Railway Station was renamed to its present form. In 1931-32, the station was reconstructed. A nearby vestibule of the Baltiyskaya Metro Station was opened in 1955. Since 1933, the station has been used to handle suburban communications only.

In 2009, the DT1 multiple unit hybrid train departed for its inaugural trip from this station.

1
Varshavsky railway station

Varshavsky railway station

St. Petersburg, Obvodnogo Kanala emb., 118

The building of a former passenger railway station in Saint Petersburg, now serving as shopping center

The station was originally built in 1851 for a rail line, completed in 1858, from the city to the Tsar's residence in Gatchina. The line was extended in 1859 to Pskov and in 1862 to Warsaw, which at that time was a part of Russian Empire. A branch from the main line that ran to the Prussianborder at Virbalis (now Lithuania) connected Saint Petersburg to other capitals of Europe.

The current building was designed by Piotr Salmanovich in a mixture of historical styles. It was constructed between 1857 and 1860. A church was built in front of the station in 1908; it was later demolished and a Lenin statue by Soviet sculptor Nikolai Tomsky appeared in 1949.

In 2001, the station was closed, with long distance rail service diverted to Vitebsky railway station and commuter service to Baltiysky Rail Terminal, and the depiction of Lenin removed. The trade center Warsaw Express has occupied the building since 2005.

628 m
2
Vitebsky railway station

Vitebsky railway station

St.Petersburg, Zagorodny prospekt, 52

The first railway station in Russia

In a departure from normal practice of the Soviet years, the Vitebsk station preserved its elevated train shed, five platforms and luggage elevators almost intact, making it an ideal location for filming Soviet adaptations of Anna KareninaSherlock Holmes stories, and other 19th-century classics.

On the other hand, much architectural detail was removed from the facade and halls during insensitive Soviet renovations. Just prior to the tercentenary celebrations of 2003, the station underwent a painstaking restoration of its original interior and Jugendstil decor. Apart from the replica of the first Russian train, curiosities of the Vitebsk Station include a detached pavilion for the Tsar and his family and a marble bust of Nicholas I.

Services from the station run to Central EuropeBaltic StatesUkraineBelarus and the southern suburbs of St. Petersburg, such as Pushkinand Pavlovsk. The station is connected to the Pushkinskaya Station of the Saint Petersburg Metro.

2 km, 547 m
3
Moskovsky railway station

Moskovsky railway station

St. Petersburg, Nevsky prospect, 85

One of the five largest railway stations in Russia

Moskovsky train station is a complex, multi-industry transport mechanism. He is among the five largest stations in RussiaHere for the first time in Russia appeared in the "Business center", sheds, ticket management center, halls superiorToday the station daily sent 15.4 thousand passengers in long-distance communication and 27.6 thousand passengers in the suburbanEvery day 32 pairs long messages and 47 pairs of commuter trains arrive and depart from the station.

Railway station timetable

3 km, 74 m
4
Finlyandsky railway station

Finlyandsky railway station

St.Petersburg, Ploschad Lenina, 6

The building of one of the largest city stations

Finland Station was built as the eastern terminus of the Finland-Saint Petersburg railroad. It was created by Petr Kupinsky and opened in 1870. Now we can see only one fragment of old building at façade looking on Botkinskaya street.

The station is famously known for the arrival of Vladimir Lenin by train from Germany on 3 April 1917 to start the October Revolution. The event is commemorated by the statue of Lenin (made by S. A. Evseev)  placing in the square in front of the station. Lenin is shown on the top of  armored car which he used as a  tribune. Lenin arrived to Russia  on the  steam locomotive  #293. Now it is installed as a permanent exhibit at one of the platforms on the station.

The Finland Station was the only Leningrad rail terminus that remained in use during the Siege of Leningrad in 1941–43. There “Road of Life” began and first train with a food for Leningrad arrived to Finland station at February 1943.

In the 1950s, the old station building was replaced with a new one in functionalism style (architects P. A/ Ashastin, N. V. Baranov, Ya. N. Lukin, I. A. Rybin) looking at Lenin square. The metro station “Ploshad Lenina” was opened also at 1950s.

Side housings of old station buildings were demolished in 1970s. Only one part of included into a new building.

9 km, 23 m
5
Ladozhsky railway station

Ladozhsky railway station

St.Petersburg. Zanevsky prospekt, 37

The most modern railway station in St.Petersburg

Opened in 2003. It serves routes to the north and east previously served by Moscow Rail Terminal, as well as some lines previously served by Finland Station. Some trains originating at Moscow and bound to other cities via Saint Petersburg are also using the station. Of the five active major stations in Saint Petersburg, Ladozhsky station is the only through station.

8 km, 65 m
6