The hero-city and the heroes citizens

This route acquaints with memorable places reminding a heroic and tragic siege of Leningrad

  • temples and cathedrals 1 ,
  • theaters 2 ,
  • museums 2 ,
  • monuments 1 ,
  • bridges 1 ,
  • military glory 5
6 km, 932 m
Leningrad Hero City Obelisk

Leningrad Hero City Obelisk

St.Petersburg, Vosstaniya Square

The Leningrad Hero City Obelisk was opened in memory of the 40 anniversary of the Great Victory on May 8, 1985

The monument on Vosstaniya Square was erected on 8 May, 1985 to commemorate the 40 Anniversary of victory in World War II.

The obelisk is a heavy granite monolith weighing 240 tons. It resembles a bayonet, crowned with a golden star. The monument constitutes the panoramic view of Nevsky Prospect, ended with the spilre of Admiralty building. The Hero City Obelisk is pentahedral in shape; its cross section has the shape of a star, similar to its golden star on the top. The monument has the informal name “screwdriver”

Legendary St. Petersburg "hippopotamus" - a monument to Alexander III was established on the place of the obelisk in the beginning of XX century. After the revolution it was moved to the garden of the marble Palace.

City’s largest shopping centers are situated around Vosstaniya Square. 

1
Anichkov Bridge

Anichkov Bridge

St. Petersburg, Anichkov most

The Anichkov Bridge is the first and most famous bridge across the Fontanka River in Saint Petersburg

The current bridge, built in 1841-42 and reconstructed in 1906-08, combines a simple form with some spectacular decorations. As well as its four famous horse sculptures (1849–50), the bridge has some of the most celebrated ornate iron railings in Saint Petersburg. The structure is mentioned in the works of Pushkin, Gogol, and Dostoevsky.

During the siege of Leningrad bridge was damaged by artillery attack. Were damaged granite parapets and railing sections. Crossing became blockade monument: on granite pedestal horses  intentionally decided not to restore the trail from German artillery shell fragments.

1 km, 201 m
2
Blockade Ice-hole Memorial Sign ( «Days of the Siege»)

Blockade Ice-hole Memorial Sign ( «Days of the Siege»)

St. Petersburg, nab. reki Fontanki, 21

One of the most unusual blockade monuments is located on the accessway to Neva opposite 21, Fontanka River Embankment

The stone slab with a female profile and inscription as a symbol of resistance and courage of Leningrad citizens was opened on January 21, 2001 to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the breakthrough of the blockade. It can be found on the accessway to Neva opposite 21, Fontanka River Embankment. The slab is made of gray granite. Sculptor - Boris Petrov, architect - Stanislav Odnovalov. The memorial sign was installed upon initiative of Petersburg's chief artist Ivan Uralov.

This monument has several names: "Days of the blockade", "Blockade ice-hole", but most popular name among locals is the Blockade Ice-hole (Blockade Polynya in Russian). Here, at the ice-hole citizens of besieged Leningrad used to take water. At the end of 1941 city's water pipe shut down due to severe frosts and frequent bombing of Vodokanal water supply enterprise.

Water was synonymous to life at those times in Leningrad.

It stands to reason, water was gained not only at this spot, but also in other rivers and canals of the city, however it is this memorial sign that has become a symbol of those tragic days in the history of Leningrad. Solemn mourning ceremonies are held here when wreaths are lowered onto water surface and memory candles are lit along the embankment.

222 m
3
Railway substation

Railway substation

St. Petersurg, nab. reki Fontanki, 3 A
542 m
4
Museum of The  Defense and The Siege of Leningrad

Museum of The Defense and The Siege of Leningrad

St. Petersburg, Solyanoy pereulok, 9

Museum dedicated to Leningrad history in 1941-1944 years

Museum dedicated to the siege of Leningrad in 1941-1944.The decision on preservation of the memorial weapon and military equipment and the organization of the first exhibition "Heroic Defense of Leningrad" which opened in 1944 was made in 1943 in the besieged city. In 1945 the exhibition was visited by the marshal G. K. Zhukov and the general of allies D. Eisenhower. The opening of the museum took place soon afterwards on January 27, 1946. The State Museum of Defense and the Siege of Leningrad is the only cultural and educational establishment, which activity is completely devoted to history of the Leningrad fight during World War II. Documents and personal belongings of the times of Patriotic War are exposed there. They show courage and heroism of the residents who defended Leningrad.

The lectern of the conductor executing the Seventh (Leningrad) symphony of Shostakovich in Philharmonic hall in the days of Blockade, microphone by which Olga Berggolts talked to residents on the Leningrad radio, the hardened bread which was given by cards to  Leningrad residents, and many other original exhibits are exposed at the museum.

799 m
5
House of Radio

House of Radio

St. Petersburg, Malaya Sadovaya Street, 2/27

The house was built in 1912-1914

Since 1932 the building houses the main broadcasting station of Leningrad radio. In the days of the Siege of Leningrad the transmission did not stop for a single day and remained the main source of the information announcing the news from the theater of war and air-raid warnings. The voices of O.Bergholz, A.Akhmatova, V.Vishnevsky, N.Tikhonov and M.Petrova supported the citizens by reading their works. On the first night of the Symphony No. 7 (titled “Leningrad”) of D.Shostakovich was broadcasted from the Grand hall of the Philharmonia to every house of the besieged city. In 2004-2012 the ground-floor of the house was the place of the “Open studio” of the “5th channel” - a talk show concerning political and social issued. The studio was a glass pavilion open to the street.

The halls of the House of radio were the place where choirs, orchestra performances and radio plays used to be recorded. After the 300th anniversary of St.Petersburg the halls were reconstructed accordinfg to the modern standards. Today not only orchestras are recorded, but also heels clicking.

Seek for the loudspeker at the corner of Malaya Morskaya st. and Nevsky prospect, set up here in honour to the continious broadcasting of the Lenigrad radio in the besieged city.  

1 km, 310 m
6
Sculptures of cats Elisey and Vasilisa

Sculptures of cats Elisey and Vasilisa

St. Petersburg, ul. Malaya Sadovaya
133 m
7
Siege loudspeaker

Siege loudspeaker

St. Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 54

Three absolutely different loudspeakers can be found at the corner of Nevsky Prospect and Malaya Sadovaya street.

One loudspeaker is placed upon a memorial plaque with inscription that reads "In memory of Leningrad loudspeaker", the second is a real blockade loudspeaker, the third one next to it is a modern loudspeaker. The memorial sign was opened on May 8, 2002. The project was proposed by the student of the historical faculty of St. Petersburg State University Strakhov. Architect A.P. Chernov.

103 m
8
Musical Comedy Theatre

Musical Comedy Theatre

St. Petersburg, Italyanskaya street, 13

The only theater, which functioned in the besieged city during 900 days of the siege

The whole history of Theatre of Musical comedy is inseparably linked with St.-Petersburg. And theatre is situated on one of the most beautiful and oldest St.-Petersburg squares – Arts square that was created by genius of Italian architect Carlo Rossi, theatre adjoins with Philharmonic named after D.D. Shostakovich, Grand-Hotel “Europe”, museum of artist I. Brodsky, theatre of opera and ballet named after M.P. Musorgsky, Russian Museum and Museum of ethnography.

Date of theatre birth is 17th of September of 1929, in that day two united operetta companies – Theatres of Musical comedy from Kharkov and Leningrad presented on its stage one of the first Soviet operetta. It was “Holopka” N. Strelnikov. During that time theatre worked in Alexandrovsky Garden in the building of state Peoples House. In palace on Italyanskaya street company moved in 1938, left the building of “Music-Hall”, it’s interesting that company of “Music-Hall” moved to Alexandrovsky Garden and still works till now in building of Peoples House.

During years of great Patriotic war theatre and its company showed unprecedented heroism and courage working in besieged city all 900 days of blockade. Light and merry genre of operetta presented citizens and front-line soldiers minutes of rest and oblivion, and belief in approaching victory.

Recently theatre came back to its building after thorough repairs. Company has big and various plans, and as well wish to keep love and interest of Saint-Petersburg audience.

 

461 m
9
The St. Petersburg Philharmonia (Small Hall)

The St. Petersburg Philharmonia (Small Hall)

St. Petersburg, Nevskiy prospect, 30

The Small Hall of the Saint-Petesburg Philharmonia is one of the best chamber Concert Halls in the world with first-class acoustics.

The history of the beautiful mansion began in the XVIII century. It was designed by architect B. Rastrelli.  Balls and masquerades took place here regularly. The first Russian Philharmonic Society gave its concerts in this hall.

The world premieres of Haydn's oratorio The Creation (1802) and Beethoven`s Missa Solemnis (1824) occured in this hall.

The Small Hall has a rich history of concerts. True stars of world music have given concerts in this Hall: Sviatoslav Richter, Emil Gilels, Glenn Gould,  Vladimir  Ashkenazy, Stanislav and Heinrich Neuhaus, Grigory Sokolov, Eliso Virsaladze, Mstislav Rostropovich, David  Oistrakh,  Yuri Bashmet, Viktor Tretiakov, Natalia Gutman, Katia Ricciarelli, Elena Obraztsova, Olga Borodina, Ljubov Kazarnovskaya, Sergei Leiferkus,  Yevgeny  Nesterenko, Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Vladimir Chernov, Gustav Leonhardt, Vadim Repin and wonderful chamber orchestras.

Premiers of works by Shostakovich, Sviridov, Shchedrin, Petrov, Tishchenko and Slonimsky have taken place in the Small Hall. Many International festivals and competitions are organized in this hall.  Listeners and musicians of all ages appreciate the ambience of the Small Hall.

494 m
10
Bombardment risk inscriptions

Bombardment risk inscriptions

St. Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 14

The memorial plaques dedicated to the events of the Great Patriotic War of 1941-45, are rather numerous and vary in form

On the walls of the houses on Twenty-Second Line of Vasilievsky Island, 61 Lesnoy Avenue, and 14 Nevsky Prospect, we can still see the bombardment risk inscriptions which have become memorial plaques of sorts.

655 m
11
Saint Isaac's Cathedral

Saint Isaac's Cathedral

St.Petersburg, Isaakiyevskaya square, 4

The largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in the city

Saint Isaac's Cathedral or Isaakievskiy Sobor in Saint Petersburg is the largest orthodox basilica and the fourth largest cathedral in the world. It is dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great, who had been born on the feast day of that saint.

The church on St Isaac's Square was ordered by Tsar Alexander I, to replace an earlier Rinaldiesque structure, and was the fourth consecutive church standing at this place.

The neoclassical exterior expresses the traditional Russian-Byzantine formula of a Greek-cross ground plan with a large central dome and four subsidiary domes. It is similar to Andrea Palladio's Villa La Rotonda, with a full dome on a high drum substituted for the Villa's low central saucer dome. The design of the cathedral in general and the dome in particular later influenced the design of the Lutheran Cathedral in Helsinki.

The exterior is faced with gray and pink stone, and features a total of 112 red granite columns with Corinthian capitals, each hewn and erected as a single block: 48 at ground level, 24 on the rotunda of the uppermost dome, 8 on each of four side domes, and 2 framing each of four windows. The rotunda is encircled by a walkway accessible to tourists. 24 statues stand on the roof, and another 24 on top of the rotunda.

The cathedral's main dome rises 101.5 metres (333 ft) and is plated with pure gold. The dome is decorated with twelve statues of angels by Josef Hermann. These angels were likely the first large sculptures produced by the then novel process of electrotyping, which was an alternative to traditional bronze casting of sculptures. Montferrand's design of the dome is based on a supporting cast iron structure. It was the third historical instance of cast iron cupola after the Leaning Tower of Nevyansk (1732) and Mainz Cathedral (1826).

660 m
12