Saint-Petersburg overnight

Night walk along the rivers and canals of the city along the route Fontanka - the river Neva - r. Fontanka. During the walk, passengers will be able to see the layout of the two bridges and enjoy unforgettable views of the night Petersburg. The route is accompanied by an audio tour.

The route will start at the “Anichkov bridge” quay, which is located at the very corner of Nevsky prospect, Fontanka river embankment 25-27.

The journey is accompanied by the audio excursion.

Through Fontanka river into Neva river waters

Comfortable cruiser will sail to Big Neva river through Fontanka river, past Ciniselli Circus, St. Michael’s Castle, the tiniest monument of Tschischik-Pyschik, Summer Garden and Summer palace of Peter the Great. From the deck of the cruiser you can clearly see the streets of the city at night, domes of the cathedrals, small churches, on the left  you’ll see one of the signature landmarks of Saint Petersburg – The Church on the Spilled Blood.

Grand Neva river and drawn bridges show.

Having escaped the solemn waters of Fontanka river, the cruiser will take you to the aquatorium of grand Neva river. You’ll gaze at the stunning views of embankments overnight, Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange and Rostral Columns, Winter palace and Peter and Paul fortress, the cruiser will take you to the famous Aurora cruiser, where it will take a turn and sail down the stream towards the movable feast on Neva river, drawn bridges.

Bridges are drawn starting from the port side, so the cruiser will take you through Neva river past the Palace bridge. It will be the first drawn bridge to be seen, with its classic double-wing construction, then Trinity bridge with it’s single-wing construction will be drawn as well. With the bridges having drawn, the cruiser will cross them once again.

It’s thought by many that the wish made beneath a drawn bridge will definitely come true! After all the passengers have made their wishes, the cruiser will take you back to the point of departure on Fontanka river.

Our journey will be comfortable in any weather conditions, if the night is warm you may sit on the deck, but if it gets chilly you’ll be able to move inside the glazed interiors of our cruiser at any moment.

  • palaces 4 ,
  • points of interest 3 ,
  • circuses 1 ,
  • museums 1 ,
  • berths 4 ,
  • monuments 4
St.Petersburg Academy of Science

St.Petersburg Academy of Science

St. Petersburg, Universitetskaya nab., 5
3
Russian Academy of Arts

Russian Academy of Arts

St. Petersburg, Universitetskaya nab., 17

Museum of the Russian Academy of Arts is a unique art collection not only in Russia, but throughout the world

The Russian Academy of Arts in Saint Petersburg, informally known as the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts, was founded in 1757 by Ivan Shuvalov under the name Academy of the Three Noblest Arts. Catherine the Great renamed it the Imperial Academy of Arts and commissioned a new building, completed 25 years later in 1789 by the Neva River. The academy promoted the neoclassical style and technique, and sent its promising students to European capitals for further study. Training at the academy was virtually required for artists to make successful careers.

Formally abolished in 1918 after the Russian Revolution, the academy was renamed several times. It introduced free tuition; students from across the country competed fiercely for its few places annually. In 1947 the national institution was moved to Moscow, and much of its art collection was moved to the Hermitage. The building in Leningrad was devoted to the Ilya Repin Leningrad Institute for Painting, Sculpture and Architecture, named in honor of one of Russia's foremost realist artists. Since 1991 it has been called the St. Petersburg Institute for Painting, Sculpture and Architecture.

4
Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange

Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange

The Spit of Vasilyevsky Island

The main building in the architectural complex of The Spit of Vasilyevsky Island

The building, which is situated at Birzhevaya Ploschad 4, is a significant example of the Greek Revival architecture. Designed by French architect Thomas de Thomon and inspired by the Greek Temple of Hera at Paestum, the stock exchange was constructed between 1805 and 1810. It was built for the St. Petersburg Stock Exchange, but was subsequently used for a different purpose. As of 2011 the building houses the exposition of the Central Naval Museum.

The Old Stock Exchange is sited to fill the majestic sweep of the Spit (in Russian Strelka) of Vasilievsky Island, just opposite the Winter Palace. Thomon's design called for a peristyle of forty four Doric columns resting upon a massive stylobate of red granite and supporting an entablature of triglyphs and slotted metopes. A monumental sculptural group similar in form to aquadriga featuring Neptune, and symbolizing maritime commerce, is mounted above the portico. Both inside and outside the Bourse, a motif of the semicircle is recurrent. The interior features a large colonnaded trading hall, now divided into eight exhibition halls. The central rooms are illuminated by an oblong skylight. The surrounding ceiling features double-sunk coffers.

5
Berth «Bronze Horseman»

Berth «Bronze Horseman»

St. Petersburg, Admiralteyskaya embankment

Situated near cultural and leisure sights of St.Petersburg such as Palace square, Building of the Main Admiralty, Bronze Horseman etc.

None
6
Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (the Kunstkamera) RAS

Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (the Kunstkamera) RAS

Saint Petersburg, Universitetskaya naberezhnaya, 3

One of the largest ethnographic museums in the world is the successor of the Kunstkamera, museum established by Peter The Great in 1714.

Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography is one of the largest and oldest ethnographic museums in the world. It is the successor to the first Russian state public museum, the famous Kunstkamera, established by Peter The Great in 1714.

The Kunstkamera was dedicated to collecting and researching natural and human curiosities and rarities. Today, Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography RAS is not only an academic museum, but also one of the leading research centers of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

Here the traditions of the great Russian ethnographers and anthropologists of the XVIII - XX centuries continue. Priceless ethnographic, anthropological and archaeological collections stored in the Museum are considered to be the most complete and interesting in the world. There are over 1.2 million exhibits, reflecting the diversity of cultures of the peoples of the Old and New Worlds, which are part of the cultural heritage of all mankind.

7
The Rostral Columns

The Rostral Columns

Saint Petersburg, Vasilievsky Ostrov, Birzhevaya Ploschad

In the 18th century the columns fulfiled the role of lighthouses

The first two rostrum columns, Chesmenskaya and Moreiskaya, were built in the 1770s at Tsarskoe Selo (near Pushkin) in memory of the victories of the Russian fleet (see Russian Naval Memorials). In St. Petersburg there are two rostral columns erected from granite and pudost stone in 1805-10 (architect Jean-Francois Thomas de Thomon) on the spit of Vasilyevsky Island (see also Stock Market Square). From the very start they served as beacons for the trading port. Inside the rostral columns are spiral staircases, leading to the squares are chalice shaped lamps on tripods (since 1957 the gas beacons of the columns have been lit for celebrations). At the pedestal of the columns are sculptures (the craftsman S. Sukhanov, the sculptors J. Camberlain and J. Thibaud), they are traditionally considered allegories for the Volga and Dnepr rivers (the northern column), the Neva and Volkhov (the southern column). In 1999-2000, they were restored.

8
Senate and Synod building

Senate and Synod building

St. Petersburg, Galernaya Street

Historical building in the Empire style

Originally built to house the two main governance bodies of the Russian Empire - Directing Senate and the Holy Synod. It was built in 1829-1834 under the project of Carlo Rossi and A.E. Shtaubert.

Senate and Synod are two separate buildings, united by a triumphal arch. Arch symbolized the unity of church and state, it is decorated with the sculptural group "Justice and Godliness." Bas-reliefs and high reliefs around the triumphal arch show the history of Russian legislation: bas-relief "Civil Law", busts of Peter I and Catherine II, bas-relief "The Law of the Lord", bas-relief "Natural Law."

The Russian State Historical Archive is located in these buildings from 1925 till 2006. The Russian Constitutional Court is housed in the former Senate building since May 2008, and the Presidential Library named by B.N. Yeltsin is placed in Synod building since 2009, in which the Patriarch private quarters and the head of state apartments are located. 

 

The Senate Square which is situated in front of the building of Senate and Synod changed its name for three times. The first name of the square was Senate Square but when The Bronze Horseman monument was established in the middle of the square in 1782 it was renamed and became Peter’s Square. In 1925 it was renamed Decembrists Square to commemorate the Decembrist Revolt, which took place there in 1825. The first name Senate Square was given back to the square in 2008.

 

For visiting The Presidential Library named by B. N. Yeltsin it is necessary to sign up at its official website.

9
Anichkov Palace

Anichkov Palace

St. Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 39 A

Anichkov Palace is a former imperial palace at the intersection of Nevsky Avenue and the Fontanka River

10
Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace

Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace

Saint Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 41

Belosselsky Belozersky Palace is a Neo-Baroque palace at the intersection of the Fontanka River and Nevsky Prospekt

The palace belonged to the Princes Beloselskiy, a family who claimed descent from Yuri Dolgorukiy, the founder of Moscow. Their first palace was built on the same site by the Fontanka River in 1747, but it was a much more modest affair. The family's fortunes increased thanks to the close relationship between Prince Alexander Mikhailovich Beloselskiy-Belozerskiy and Emperor Paul I, and through marriage to two heiresses to Urals mining fortunes. It was one of those heiresses, the widowed Princess Elena Pavlovna Beloselskaya-Belozerskaya, who commissioned the present palace, petitioning Emperor Nicholas I to allow his court architect, Andrey Stackensneider, to design the building (his only civil commission in the city).

The palace was built 1847-1848, and became renowned for the lavish parties thrown there by Elena Pavlovna. A few decades later, however, the family found the palace too expensive to maintain, and it was sold to Grand Duke Sergey Alexandrovich, brother of Emperor Alexander III, in 1884. He had part of the interiors redesigned in 1888, and in 1897 the facades were restored and first painted in the deep pink that can be seen today.

Nationalised after the October Revolution, the Beloselskiy-Belozerskiy Palace became the headquarters of the Regional Committee of the Communist Party for the centre of Leningrad. In this role, its historic interiors were carefully maintained during the 20th century, despite significant damage in the Second World War, and the original rococo decorations have largely survived intact. The building is now home to a Municipal Cultural Centre (along with several smaller institutions), and hosts regular concerts of chamber music as well as offering occasional guided tours of the state rooms (three or four times per month or by appointment).

11
Chizhik-Pyzhik

Chizhik-Pyzhik

Saint Petersburg, Nab. reki Fontanki, 1 Inzhenernyi Most, on the opposite side

One of the smallest statues in Saint Petersburg

It was installed in 1994 on the Fontanka River near the 1st Engineering Bridge, where in 1835, on the initiative of Prince Peter of Oldenburg was founded the Imperial School of Jurisprudence. Students of the school wore uniforms of yellow-green color, which resembled a plumage of chizh (a siskin). So people started calling them by the nickname Chizhik-Pyzhik.

Author of the statute was Georgian screenwriter and director Revaz Gabriadze. It is one of the smallest statues in Saint Petersburg. Its height is 11 centimeters and weight about 5 kilograms. The statue was stolen on a couple of times, but every time the sculpture returned to the place.

According to the belief your desire will come true if you make a wish and throw coin in statue.

12
THE BOLSHOI SAINT-PETERSBURG STATE CIRCUS

THE BOLSHOI SAINT-PETERSBURG STATE CIRCUS

The big St. Petersburg State circus - the first stone stationary circus of Russia - opened on December 26, 1877. One of the most beautiful circuses of Europe the actors seeing on the European tour way of many circuses called this building. Gaetano Ciniselli (1815-1881) Initiator of his construction was the Italian citizen, the head of a big circus family, the circus performer (the equestrian and the trainer of horses), made to himself a big name in Europe, - Gaetano Ciniselli. The building of circus is the unique technical construction executed on the basis of a front line the then to engineering thought. For the first time in the world at construction of a dome record for those times flight (49,7м) supporting internal columns that created unusual spatial effect weren't applied. Essentially new mesh and ridge design of a dome as the huge overturned bowl covers a hall. This new technical solution became wide to be applied subsequently in construction of similar constructions. Registration of the auditorium was executed with luxury. In its furniture the crimson velvet, gold, mirrors were combined. Boxes and places in orchestra seats were designed for 1500 people, and the general filling of a hall, at the expense of a capacious gallery, reached 5000 viewers. The building of circus of Chinizelli, was among soon the main sights of the city and reached position of the paramount spectacular enterprise of the capital.

13
 Winter Palace

Winter Palace

St. Petersburg, Dvortsovaya pl., 2

The Winter Palace is a former imperial palace, at present is a part of the Main Museum Complex of the Hermitage

The elegant, monumental palace is a striking monument of the Baroque style in mid-18th-century Russian art. The palace is a brilliant example of the synthesis of architecture and decorative plastic art. All the facades are embellished by a two-tier colonnade. Forming a complex rhythm of verticals, the columns soar upwards, and this motion embraces the numerous statues and vases on the roof. The abundance of moulded decoration - fanciful cornices and window architraves, mascarons, cartouches, rocailles, and a variety of pediments - creates an extremely rich play of light and shade that invest the building's appearance with magnificence.

Developing upon one and the same architectural motif, Rastrelli gave each of the four facades of the palace a different structural rhythm. The southern facade, overlooking the square, has a formal grandeur. Here the architect pierced the building with three arches to create a grand entrance into the courtyard and accentuated it with the vertical elements of paired columns. The majestic northern facade, giving the impression of an endless colonnade, faces the broad expanse of the Neva. The western facade, across from the Admiralty, is reminiscent of the composition of a countryside palace with a small courtyard. The monumental eastern facade with its massive side blocks forming a large cour d'honneur is turned to Millionnaya Street, where the mansions of the nobility stood.

For 150 years the palace served as an imperial residence. In November 1917, after the October Revolution, it was declared a museum. The exhibition placed in the palace includes grand halls and chambers, collections of the antiquities of Eurasia and the East, as well as collections of European and Eastern paintings, sculptures, and decorative art works.

Ticket price — 600 roubles

14
Small Marble Palace

Small Marble Palace

St. Petersburg, Gagarinskaya ul., 3

For some time the palace belonged to the wife of Alexander II, princess Dolgorukova

This palace, built between 1857 and 1862 is the second palace in Saint Petersburg, after the Marble Palace, to have a façade entirely covered in marble. 

It is well-known for its Louis XIV main stairs considered as a marvel. Originally there were mirrors facing the five arched windows. The rooms are decorated in Louis XIV, Louis XV and Louis XVI styles. 

After having several owners, the Small Marble Palace now belongs to the European University of Saint Petersburg (private post-graduate education).

15
Stroganov palace

Stroganov palace

Saint Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 17

Late Baroque palace at the intersection of the Moika River and Nevsky Prospect

One of the best samples of the Russian baroque, the only residential building of the XVIII century on Nevsky Prospect, Stroganov Palace up to 1917 belonged to the most ancient family of industrialists Stroganov. Constructed in the shortest terms upon the project of one of the most demanded architects of the period, F. B. Rastrelli, it stroked contemporaries with its luxury of decor, magnificence of balls of high society and lunches. In the first half of 19 century Stroganovs started to collect large scientific and art collections.

Later the palace became a place of representation of the large collections of books, the West European and Russian painting, numismatics and minerals, and for this purpose were built Mineral and Physical studies, and also Library and Art gallery, where the count A.Stroganov, during the time he was the president of Academy of Arts were placed, gave an opportunity to students (future illustrious Russian painters) to copy works from his collection.

Today the visit to Stroganov Palace becomes a fascinating trip through the pages of its architectural history – from the baroque Rastrelli’s Big hall to the magnificent samples of classicism in Sadovnikov and Voronikhin's interiors. After the renovation and restoration of its architectural decor Stroganov Palace is again filled with works of painting, sculpture and applied arts from the storage of the Russian Museum.

16
Summer Garden Berth

Summer Garden Berth

St. Petersburg, Dvortsovaya embankment

Situated near cultural and leisure sights of St.Petersburg such as Summer garden and Summer Palace of Peter the Great

None
17

Useful information

Date: 1 мая – 31 октября
Site
Tel.+7 (812) 2400518
Email: info@boattour.ru