Anglotourismo

• live English speaking guide

• excursion along rivers and canals

Observation hop on/hop off tour in English with a professional English speaking guide. The ticket last till the end of the day.

The cruiser will take you through Fontanka river, Neva river and Kronverskiy strait around Peter and Paul fortress till the point of departure.

There are three quays along the route: Anichkov bridge, Lomonosov’s bridge, Winter canal where you can get off for a walk and then change for the next suitable cruiser.

Let’s imagine how it will happen…

Fontanka river. On the both banks of Fontanka river you’ll palaces of Saint Petersburg aristocracy: Sheremetyev’s palace, which was given as a gift for the reclamation of swampy lands from Peter the Great, as well as Anichkov palace of Russian Royal family, Beloselsky-Belozersky palace, Derzhavin’s museum estate and the commercial apartment buildings of the 19th century, Ciniselli circus and Fabergé museum.

Grand Neva river: From Moyka river cruiser will sail to Winter canal, signature place of Saint Petersburg, where the fragment of the last winter palace of Peter the Great and the unique atmosphere of that era remain preserved. Then you will find yourself in the Grand Neva river aquatorium, from the broadsides of the ship you will gaze upon imperial Saint Petersburg. This is the view at luxurious palaces and estates on the embankment of Neva river.

You will see the Hermitage, the first museum of the city - the Kunstkamera, the Rostral columns on the Spit of Vasilyevsky Island and the main monument of the city - the Bronze Horseman.

Along Kronveskiy strait the cruiser will take you around Hare island, the place of Saint Petersburg foundation. You will see Peter and Paul fortress from all the quarters, its 6 ravelins and bulwarks.

And Fontanka river again

In the end of your journey the cruiser will sail past Summer Garden and Summer palace of Peter the Great, the tiniest and beloved monument of Tschizhik-Pyshik and St. Michael’s Castle of Pavel the First.

You journey will take place in any weather conditions – cruisers have decks and comfortable glazed interior spaces.

Overall duration of the journey is 1 hour 30 minutes.

  • museums 1 ,
  • theaters 1 ,
  • palaces 4 ,
  • points of interest 1 ,
  • berths 1 ,
  • monuments 3
Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange

Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange

The Spit of Vasilyevsky Island

The main building in the architectural complex of The Spit of Vasilyevsky Island

The building, which is situated at Birzhevaya Ploschad 4, is a significant example of the Greek Revival architecture. Designed by French architect Thomas de Thomon and inspired by the Greek Temple of Hera at Paestum, the stock exchange was constructed between 1805 and 1810. It was built for the St. Petersburg Stock Exchange, but was subsequently used for a different purpose. As of 2011 the building houses the exposition of the Central Naval Museum.

The Old Stock Exchange is sited to fill the majestic sweep of the Spit (in Russian Strelka) of Vasilievsky Island, just opposite the Winter Palace. Thomon's design called for a peristyle of forty four Doric columns resting upon a massive stylobate of red granite and supporting an entablature of triglyphs and slotted metopes. A monumental sculptural group similar in form to aquadriga featuring Neptune, and symbolizing maritime commerce, is mounted above the portico. Both inside and outside the Bourse, a motif of the semicircle is recurrent. The interior features a large colonnaded trading hall, now divided into eight exhibition halls. The central rooms are illuminated by an oblong skylight. The surrounding ceiling features double-sunk coffers.

2
The Rostral Columns

The Rostral Columns

Saint Petersburg, Vasilievsky Ostrov, Birzhevaya Ploschad

In the 18th century the columns fulfiled the role of lighthouses

The first two rostrum columns, Chesmenskaya and Moreiskaya, were built in the 1770s at Tsarskoe Selo (near Pushkin) in memory of the victories of the Russian fleet (see Russian Naval Memorials). In St. Petersburg there are two rostral columns erected from granite and pudost stone in 1805-10 (architect Jean-Francois Thomas de Thomon) on the spit of Vasilyevsky Island (see also Stock Market Square). From the very start they served as beacons for the trading port. Inside the rostral columns are spiral staircases, leading to the squares are chalice shaped lamps on tripods (since 1957 the gas beacons of the columns have been lit for celebrations). At the pedestal of the columns are sculptures (the craftsman S. Sukhanov, the sculptors J. Camberlain and J. Thibaud), they are traditionally considered allegories for the Volga and Dnepr rivers (the northern column), the Neva and Volkhov (the southern column). In 1999-2000, they were restored.

3
Anichkov Palace

Anichkov Palace

St. Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 39 A

Anichkov Palace is a former imperial palace at the intersection of Nevsky Avenue and the Fontanka River

4
Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace

Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace

Saint Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 41

Belosselsky Belozersky Palace is a Neo-Baroque palace at the intersection of the Fontanka River and Nevsky Prospekt

The palace belonged to the Princes Beloselskiy, a family who claimed descent from Yuri Dolgorukiy, the founder of Moscow. Their first palace was built on the same site by the Fontanka River in 1747, but it was a much more modest affair. The family's fortunes increased thanks to the close relationship between Prince Alexander Mikhailovich Beloselskiy-Belozerskiy and Emperor Paul I, and through marriage to two heiresses to Urals mining fortunes. It was one of those heiresses, the widowed Princess Elena Pavlovna Beloselskaya-Belozerskaya, who commissioned the present palace, petitioning Emperor Nicholas I to allow his court architect, Andrey Stackensneider, to design the building (his only civil commission in the city).

The palace was built 1847-1848, and became renowned for the lavish parties thrown there by Elena Pavlovna. A few decades later, however, the family found the palace too expensive to maintain, and it was sold to Grand Duke Sergey Alexandrovich, brother of Emperor Alexander III, in 1884. He had part of the interiors redesigned in 1888, and in 1897 the facades were restored and first painted in the deep pink that can be seen today.

Nationalised after the October Revolution, the Beloselskiy-Belozerskiy Palace became the headquarters of the Regional Committee of the Communist Party for the centre of Leningrad. In this role, its historic interiors were carefully maintained during the 20th century, despite significant damage in the Second World War, and the original rococo decorations have largely survived intact. The building is now home to a Municipal Cultural Centre (along with several smaller institutions), and hosts regular concerts of chamber music as well as offering occasional guided tours of the state rooms (three or four times per month or by appointment).

5
Chizhik-Pyzhik

Chizhik-Pyzhik

Saint Petersburg, Nab. reki Fontanki, 1 Inzhenernyi Most, on the opposite side

One of the smallest statues in Saint Petersburg

It was installed in 1994 on the Fontanka River near the 1st Engineering Bridge, where in 1835, on the initiative of Prince Peter of Oldenburg was founded the Imperial School of Jurisprudence. Students of the school wore uniforms of yellow-green color, which resembled a plumage of chizh (a siskin). So people started calling them by the nickname Chizhik-Pyzhik.

Author of the statute was Georgian screenwriter and director Revaz Gabriadze. It is one of the smallest statues in Saint Petersburg. Its height is 11 centimeters and weight about 5 kilograms. The statue was stolen on a couple of times, but every time the sculpture returned to the place.

According to the belief your desire will come true if you make a wish and throw coin in statue.

6
FABERGÉ MUSEUM

FABERGÉ MUSEUM

21, Fontanka River Embankment, St. Petersburg

The world’s largest collection of Carl  Fabergé masterpieces in the Shuvalov Palace of St. Petersburg

The museum holds the world’s largest collection of Carl Fabergé masterpieces and an exceptional of Russian decorative arts, which today contain more than 4000 works and are considered to be one of the best collections in the word.

The most famous items in Fabergé Museum are the nine Easter Eggs created for Alexander III and Nicholas II, the last of the Russian Emperors. These exquisite pieces are not only examples of the highest artistic skill in jewellery, but they are also historic testimonials that give insight into the lives of Russia’s Imperial Family.

The collection includes all the directions in which the House of  Fabergé worked: Objets de Fantaisie, jewellery, silverware, interior and religion objects.

Henrik Wickström (1862-1923) Finnish workmaster at Faberge.

7
 Winter Palace

Winter Palace

St. Petersburg, Dvortsovaya pl., 2

The Winter Palace is a former imperial palace, at present is a part of the Main Museum Complex of the Hermitage

The elegant, monumental palace is a striking monument of the Baroque style in mid-18th-century Russian art. The palace is a brilliant example of the synthesis of architecture and decorative plastic art. All the facades are embellished by a two-tier colonnade. Forming a complex rhythm of verticals, the columns soar upwards, and this motion embraces the numerous statues and vases on the roof. The abundance of moulded decoration - fanciful cornices and window architraves, mascarons, cartouches, rocailles, and a variety of pediments - creates an extremely rich play of light and shade that invest the building's appearance with magnificence.

Developing upon one and the same architectural motif, Rastrelli gave each of the four facades of the palace a different structural rhythm. The southern facade, overlooking the square, has a formal grandeur. Here the architect pierced the building with three arches to create a grand entrance into the courtyard and accentuated it with the vertical elements of paired columns. The majestic northern facade, giving the impression of an endless colonnade, faces the broad expanse of the Neva. The western facade, across from the Admiralty, is reminiscent of the composition of a countryside palace with a small courtyard. The monumental eastern facade with its massive side blocks forming a large cour d'honneur is turned to Millionnaya Street, where the mansions of the nobility stood.

For 150 years the palace served as an imperial residence. In November 1917, after the October Revolution, it was declared a museum. The exhibition placed in the palace includes grand halls and chambers, collections of the antiquities of Eurasia and the East, as well as collections of European and Eastern paintings, sculptures, and decorative art works.

Ticket price — 600 roubles

8
Marble Palace

Marble Palace

St. Petersburg, Millionnaya ul., 5/1

The palace is an outstanding sample of early Neoclassicism in Russia

The Marble Palace is a unique architectural monument of the second half of the 18th century. Built on the place of the Post Yard of Peter the Great's times, it has become a splendid end of the gala Palace embankment of the Neva.

The construction of the palace, started in 1768, lasted for 17 years and was completed in 1785. The main construction material of the exterior and interior decorations of the building was a natural stone: granite and marble of different colours, that imparted the palace a unique originality and afterwards gave it the name of the Marble Palace.

The Marble Palace amazed contemporaries by its luxury, magnificence of interiors, and beauty of sculptural and painterly decorations.

However, the first owner of the palace Grigory Orlov did not live to see its magnificence. He died in 1783 when the interior decoration of the palace had not been completed. Catherine II bought it from Grigory Orlov's heirs and gifted it to her grandson Grand Duke Konstantin Konstantinovich on the occasion of his marriage to Princess Julianna Henrietta of Sachsen-Coburg-Saalfeld. She accepted Eastern Christianity and got the name of Anna Fyodorovna.

The Main Staircase is decorated with grey Ural marble. The stairs are made of dark grey sandstone. Paris' Judgement plafond by the German painter of the 18th century J. Krist is located in the centre of the Main Staircase ceiling.

Stone decoration of the Marble Room amazes by the variety of colours, elegance, richness, perfection of marble's processing, excellent style of its selection, and overall arrangement. Seven marble sorts of Greek, Italian, Ural, Karel, and Siberian rocks were used in the decoration of the Marble Room. The room is decorated with bas-reliefs by F. Shubin and M. Kozlovsky and Venus's Triumph plafond by S. Torelli.

A new stage in the life of the Marble Palace began in 1992, when the building was rendered to the Russian Museum.

9
New Holland

New Holland

St. Petersburg, nab. Admiralteyskogo kanala., 2

It is a complex of storage facilities situated on the cognominal island

New Holland has a central basin which in 1765 was linked with the Moika River and the Kryukov Canal. The island's perimeter is made up of wooden storage facilities (1732-38, architect I. K. Korobov), where ship timber for the Admiralty Shipyard was dried and stored employing the so-called Dutch technique. This was also where small row boats were built. In 1765-88, an architectural monument, a complex of stone storehouses in the style of early Classicism (architects S. I. Chevansky, I. K. Gerard; facades from 1765, architect J. B. Vallin de la Mothe) was erected along New Holland's southern and eastern sides.

10
Mariinsky Theatre

Mariinsky Theatre

St. Petersburg, Тeatralnaya ploschad', 1

One of the biggest and most famous opera and ballet theatres in Russia and all over the world

Mariinsky theatre of opera and ballet was opened in 1860, it became the preeminent music theatre of late 19th century Russia, where many of the stage masterpieces of Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, and Rimsky-Korsakov received their premieres. When, in 1859, the Circus Theatre was destroyed by fire, a new theatre was built on the same site, once again by Alberto Cavos. It was named the Mariinsky in honour of Empress Maria Alexandrovna, wife of Alexander II. The first theatre season in the new building opened on 2 October 1860 with A  Life for the Tsar by Glinka under the baton of the Russian Opera Company’s conductor Konstantin Lyadov, father of the renowned composer Anatoly Lyadov. The name of Empress Maria Alexandrovna was immortalized not only in the name of the theatre but also in its emblem - the stage curtain by A. Golovin. This main theater attribute was desined as the train of the Empress's dress.

11

Useful information

Tel.: +7 (812) 240 05 18
e-mail: info@boattour.ru

https://boattour.ru/ru/catalog/anglotourismo