Grand Saint-Petersburg

One of the most picturesque sightseeing tours. In addition to the attractions of the ceremonial Neva you will see the palaces and parks of Krestovsky, Elagin and Kamenny Island. The itinerary is accompanied by a professional guide. Itinerary with a stop on Elagin Island.

It’s the most picturesque naval route in Saint Petersburg. Apart from the main sights of the northern capital, you will see Krestovskiy, Elagin and Kamenniy islands. Antique parks, luxurious summer palaces of Saint Petersburg aristocracy – all those beauties are often left aside of the walked touristic paths. Don’t miss your chance to visit beloved places of citizens’ resort since 18th century until the present day!

Famous sights of Grand Neva river

Cruiser embarks from the Palace or Senate quays within 10-minute difference. It will take you across the main Neva river aquatorium, so called imperial or façade Petersburg. Our guide will tell you the history of the city since the foundation until the days of great emperors. From the best spot you will see Peter and Paul fortress, Winter palace, Marble palace, Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange and Rostral Columns, will pass under the Palace bridge.

From the Grand Neva river to Bolshaya Nevka

Having passed Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange and “Flying Dutchman” sail ship, the cruiser will sail to Bolshaya Nevka. You will get to know the history of the oldest territories of Saint Petersburg – Petrogradsky district and Vasilievsky island. Bolshay Nevka is a naval center of Saint Petersburg, you will see shipyards, docks and yacht-clubs located on its banks.

Still beauty of Finnish gulf

The grandeur of Finnish gulf is best to experience from the broadsides of cruisers. Once upon a time the history of Saint Petersburg has begun there. Today, you will see a modern city and its architecture – new Saint Petersburg Arena stadium, Western High-Speed diameter, Lahta-Center.

Picturesque islands

If you haven’t yet seen the intrinsic greenery of Krestovskiy, Elagin and Kamenniy islands, you haven’t seen the most picturesque spots of Saint Petersburg. Those place have been the centers of citizens’ resort, and magnificent countryside palaces of Elagin and Kamenniy, antique parks, numerous floating restaurants have witnessed this history.

There is a stop on Elagin island where you may get off the cruiser and take a walk around the parks.

(Attention: tickets are invalid for further travel)

Malaya Nevka and Grand Neva river

The journey back to the aquatorium of Grand Neva will take us through Malaya Nevka. You will see Botanical Garden, you will learn how the Nobel family is linked to Saint Petersburg. From the water you will see Aurora cruiser and Nakhimov Naval School. After that the cruiser will sail back to Grand Neva passing the Trinity bridge. And then, sailing past Summer Garden and Peter and Paul fortress will take you back to the point of departure.


  

  • temples and cathedrals 1 ,
  • monuments 1 ,
  • museums 3 ,
  • points of interest 4 ,
  • parks 1 ,
  • berths 4 ,
  • arenas 1
The Central Naval Museum, Cruiser "Aurora"

The Central Naval Museum, Cruiser "Aurora"

St. Petersburg, Petrogradskaya embankment

21.09.2014 the ship was transferred to the Kronstadt shipyard`s dockage facility till 2016

The ship is a 1900 Russian protected cruiser, currently preserved as a museum ship. In the same time Aurora stands today as the oldest commissioned ship of the Russian Navy. The Cruiser  Aurora is a legendary 1st rank Cruiser. The Aurora's keel was laid down at the "New Admiralty" shipyard in St.Petersburg on 23 May 1897. The cruiser was launched on 11 May 1900 and joined the Navy of Russia in July1903.
During the Russian-Japanese War the cruiser, being included in the second Pacific Ocean squadron, sailed to the Far East (October 1904 - May 1905). The cruiser Aurora had her baptism of fire in the Tsushima battle on 14-15 May 1905. When she returned to the Baltic sea, the Aurora for a long time was used as a ship for training naval cadets of the Naval College. In 1917 the Aurora's crew took an active part in the February and October revolutionary activities and the Civil War repulsing international intervention. On 25 October 1917 a blank shot from her forecastle gun signaled the start of the assault on the Winter Palace, which was to be the beginning of the October Revolution. For the whole period of the Leningrad siege from 1941 to 1944 the Aurora was moored at a pier in the Oranienbaum port (the town of Lomonosov) and was constantly shelled and bombed. The hull was holed, got many leakages and sank aground, but the small crew courageously fought for the life of their ship. In July 1944 the ship was raised and taken into a dock for repair.
In 1948 the cruiser Aurora was moored at the Petrogradskaya embankment of Leningrad and till 1956 was used as a naval training ship by the Leningrad Nakhimov College. In 1956 the cruiser Aurora was made a museum (a branch of the Central Naval Museum). 
The Cruiser Aurora is often mentioned in various art works - songs, poems and movies. So in 1945 was made a film about the legendary cruiser Varyag. The role of the Variag fell to Aurora's lot. 
1
Saint Isaac's Cathedral

Saint Isaac's Cathedral

Saint Petersburg, Isaakiyevskaya ploshchad, 4

The largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in the city

Saint Isaac's Cathedral or Isaakievskiy Sobor in Saint Petersburg is the largest orthodox chuch and the fourth largest cathedral in the world. It is dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great, who had been born on the feast day of that saint.

The church on St Isaac's Square was ordered by Tsar Alexander I, to replace an earlier Rinaldiesque structure, and was the fourth consecutive church standing at this place.

The neoclassical exterior expresses the traditional Russian-Byzantine formula of a Greek-cross ground plan with a large central dome and four subsidiary domes. It is similar to Andrea Palladio's Villa La Rotonda, with a full dome on a high drum substituted for the Villa's low central saucer dome. The design of the cathedral in general and the dome in particular later influenced the design of the Lutheran Cathedral in Helsinki.

The exterior is faced with gray and pink stone, and features a total of 112 red granite columns with Corinthian capitals, each hewn and erected as a single block: 48 at ground level, 24 on the rotunda of the uppermost dome, 8 on each of four side domes, and 2 framing each of four windows. The rotunda is encircled by a walkway accessible to tourists. 24 statues stand on the roof, and another 24 on top of the rotunda.

The cathedral's main dome rises 101.5 metres (333 ft) and is plated with pure gold. The dome is decorated with twelve statues of angels by Josef Hermann. These angels were likely the first large sculptures produced by the then novel process of electrotyping, which was an alternative to traditional bronze casting of sculptures. Montferrand's design of the dome is based on a supporting cast iron structure. It was the third historical instance of cast iron cupola after the Leaning Tower of Nevyansk (1732) and Mainz Cathedral (1826).

2
St.Petersburg Academy of Science

St.Petersburg Academy of Science

St. Petersburg, Universitetskaya nab., 5
None
5
Russian Academy of Arts

Russian Academy of Arts

St. Petersburg, Universitetskaya nab., 17

Museum of the Russian Academy of Arts is a unique art collection not only in Russia, but throughout the world

The Russian Academy of Arts in Saint Petersburg, informally known as the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts, was founded in 1757 by Ivan Shuvalov under the name Academy of the Three Noblest Arts. Catherine the Great renamed it the Imperial Academy of Arts and commissioned a new building, completed 25 years later in 1789 by the Neva River. The academy promoted the neoclassical style and technique, and sent its promising students to European capitals for further study. Training at the academy was virtually required for artists to make successful careers.

Formally abolished in 1918 after the Russian Revolution, the academy was renamed several times. It introduced free tuition; students from across the country competed fiercely for its few places annually. In 1947 the national institution was moved to Moscow, and much of its art collection was moved to the Hermitage. The building in Leningrad was devoted to the Ilya Repin Leningrad Institute for Painting, Sculpture and Architecture, named in honor of one of Russia's foremost realist artists. Since 1991 it has been called the St. Petersburg Institute for Painting, Sculpture and Architecture.

6
Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange

Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange

The Spit of Vasilyevsky Island

The main building in the architectural complex of The Spit of Vasilyevsky Island

The building, which is situated at Birzhevaya Ploschad 4, is a significant example of the Greek Revival architecture. Designed by French architect Thomas de Thomon and inspired by the Greek Temple of Hera at Paestum, the stock exchange was constructed between 1805 and 1810. It was built for the St. Petersburg Stock Exchange, but was subsequently used for a different purpose. As of 2011 the building houses the exposition of the Central Naval Museum.

The Old Stock Exchange is sited to fill the majestic sweep of the Spit (in Russian Strelka) of Vasilievsky Island, just opposite the Winter Palace. Thomon's design called for a peristyle of forty four Doric columns resting upon a massive stylobate of red granite and supporting an entablature of triglyphs and slotted metopes. A monumental sculptural group similar in form to aquadriga featuring Neptune, and symbolizing maritime commerce, is mounted above the portico. Both inside and outside the Bourse, a motif of the semicircle is recurrent. The interior features a large colonnaded trading hall, now divided into eight exhibition halls. The central rooms are illuminated by an oblong skylight. The surrounding ceiling features double-sunk coffers.

7
Berth «Bronze Horseman»

Berth «Bronze Horseman»

St. Petersburg, Admiralteyskaya embankment

Situated near cultural and leisure sights of St.Petersburg such as Palace square, Building of the Main Admiralty, Bronze Horseman etc.

None
8
Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (the Kunstkamera) RAS

Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (the Kunstkamera) RAS

Saint Petersburg, Universitetskaya naberezhnaya, 3

One of the largest ethnographic museums in the world is the successor of the Kunstkamera, museum established by Peter The Great in 1714.

Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography is one of the largest and oldest ethnographic museums in the world. It is the successor to the first Russian state public museum, the famous Kunstkamera, established by Peter The Great in 1714.

The Kunstkamera was dedicated to collecting and researching natural and human curiosities and rarities. Today, Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography RAS is not only an academic museum, but also one of the leading research centers of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

Here the traditions of the great Russian ethnographers and anthropologists of the XVIII - XX centuries continue. Priceless ethnographic, anthropological and archaeological collections stored in the Museum are considered to be the most complete and interesting in the world. There are over 1.2 million exhibits, reflecting the diversity of cultures of the peoples of the Old and New Worlds, which are part of the cultural heritage of all mankind.

9
The Rostral Columns

The Rostral Columns

St. Petersburg, Vasilievsky Ostrov, Birzhevaya Ploschad

In the 18th century the columns fulfiled the role of lighthouses

The first two rostrum columns, Chesmenskaya and Moreiskaya, were built in the 1770s at Tsarskoe Selo (near Pushkin) in memory of the victories of the Russian fleet (see Russian Naval Memorials). In St. Petersburg there are two rostral columns erected from granite and pudost stone in 1805-10 (architect Jean-Francois Thomas de Thomon) on the spit of Vasilyevsky Island (see also Stock Market Square). From the very start they served as beacons for the trading port. Inside the rostral columns are spiral staircases, leading to the squares are chalice shaped lamps on tripods (since 1957 the gas beacons of the columns have been lit for celebrations). At the pedestal of the columns are sculptures (the craftsman S. Sukhanov, the sculptors J. Camberlain and J. Thibaud), they are traditionally considered allegories for the Volga and Dnepr rivers (the northern column), the Neva and Volkhov (the southern column). In 1999-2000, they were restored.

10
Senate and Synod building

Senate and Synod building

St. Petersburg, Senatskaya ploshad, 3

Historical building in the Empire style which originally was built to house the two main governance bodies of the Russian Empire - Directing Senate and the Holy Synod. It was built in 1829-1834 under the project of Carlo Rossi and A.E. Shtaubert.

The Senate and the Synod originally settled down in the building of Twelve boards. The fakhverkovy house of the lightest prince Menshikov stood the first construction on a place of present buildings of the Senate and the Synod. After its disgrace the house on Neva Embankment carried over the vice-chancellor A. I. Osterman, and in 1744 was granted by Elizabeth Petrovna to the chancellor A. P. Bestuzhevu-Ryumin for whom built construction in Baroque style. In 1763, after accession to the throne of Catherine II, Bestuzheva-Ryumin's house passed into treasury, and into this building reconstructed by the architect of A. F. by whist, the Senate moved. In the 1780-1790th years Bestuzheva-Ryumin's baroque house was again reconstructed, and his facades received the new architectural processing typical for the Russian classicism. The name of the author of the project of reorganization of the building remains to unknown. Judging by saved in a collection of the museum of Academy of Arts to the drawing of the western facade of the building, the project was developed by the architect I. E. Starov.

On a place of the present building of the Synod in the XVIII century there was a house купчихи Kusovnikova.

Senate and Synod are two separate buildings, united by a triumphal arch. Arch symbolized the unity of church and state, it is decorated with the sculptural group "Justice and Godliness." Bas-reliefs and high reliefs around the triumphal arch show the history of Russian legislation: bas-relief "Civil Law", busts of Peter I and Catherine II, bas-relief "The Law of the Lord", bas-relief "Natural Law."

The Russian State Historical Archive is located in these buildings from 1925 till 2006. The Russian Constitutional Court is housed in the former Senate building since May 2008, and the Presidential Library named by B.N. Yeltsin is placed in Synod building since 2009, in which the Patriarch private quarters and the head of state apartments are located. 

The Senate Square which is situated in front of the building of Senate and Synod changed its name for three times. The first name of the square was Senate Square but when The Bronze Horseman monument was established in the middle of the square in 1782 it was renamed and became Peter’s Square. In 1925 it was renamed Decembrists Square to commemorate the Decembrist Revolt, which took place there in 1825. The first name Senate Square was given back to the square in 2008.

For visiting The Presidential Library named by B. N. Yeltsin it is necessary to sign up at its official website.

11
Park of Saint-Petersburg 300 anniversary

Park of Saint-Petersburg 300 anniversary

St. Petersburg, Primorskiy pr., 74

The central objects of the park are a pool, fountains, stylized lighthouse granite columns 22 meters high

The park is located in the northwestern part of St. Petersburg. Total area is 91 hectares.

The park is set on the shore of the Gulf of Finland in the North-West of the city.  The green area of 91 hectars is separated from the public beach by a granite embankment alongside the seashore. A wide alley guides you from the main entrance to the granite column 22 m high built in the form of a lighthouse. From this place one may admire the panoramic view to the gulf seascape and the anchored passenger cruise liners. The 300th anniversary of the city was marked by planting a number of decorative apple and lime trees. Today the citizens come here to play volleyball, do skating, cycling and kite-surfing (in case of fair wind), there are some children playgrounds and skateparks. The park is a venue for the annual Maslenitsa feast celebration. The biggest indoor waterpark in Russia called Piterland is located next to the park.

1. The park is situated on a raised beach. Some 30 years ago it would be the floor of the Baltic sea.
2. One may distinguish the dome of the Naval Cathedral of Kronstadt – the city on an island that used to be in important fort in the previous times.

Bring your badminton rackets and a frisbee to spend some good time in the open air.

12
3rd Elaginskiy bridge berth

3rd Elaginskiy bridge berth

St. Petersburg, Primorskaya embankment

The berth is situated just near one of the main leisure area among citizens and visitors of St.Petersburg – Kirov Central Park on Elagin island

 

None
13
14
 Winter Palace of Peter the Great, The State Hermitage Museum

Winter Palace of Peter the Great, The State Hermitage Museum

Saint Petersburg, Dvortsovaya naberezhnaya, 32

The Winter Palace of Peter the Great is a unique architectural monument of the first quarter of the 18th century

The Winter Palace of Peter the Great is a unique architectural monument of the first quarter of the 18th century. The official residence of Peter I was located on the territory now occupied by the Hermitage Theatre. In the part of the palace which has been preserved, there is a memorial exhibition dedicated to Peter the Great and his time. In his rooms - the study, the dining room and the turnery - decoration has been recreated using genuine items that belonged to the Emperor. So-called 'Wax effigy,' a posthumous sculptural portrait of Peter I, has been also put on display.

Ticket cost — 300 roubles (Winter Palace of Peter the Great only)

The Main Museum Complex, Winter Palace of Peter the Great and other branches — 600 roubles

15
The stadium "Gazprom Arena"

The stadium "Gazprom Arena"

Saint Petersburg, Football alley, 1

On the spot of Kirov Stadium, where Zenit used to play, now there is a new modern arena designed by a Japanese architect Kisho Kurokawa (1934-2007)

The stadium is promised to be one of the most technologically advanced and perfect sports edifices in Europe.

The stadium will host matches of the 2018 FIFA World Cup, including semi-final games. The total capacity of the stadium amounts to 69 501 visitors.

16

Useful information

Dates: 10 May – 10 September

Теl: 8 (812) 2400518

e-mail: info@boattour.ru

https://boattour.ru/ru/catalog/zabytye-ostrova