Alongside the Moika river

This route will take you alongside one the most popular Petersburg canals – the Moika river, where almost every building on its bank can tell you its story

The river flows from the Fontanka River near the Summer Garden past the Field of Mars, crosses Nevsky Avenue and the Kryukov Canal before entering the Neva River. It is also connected with the Neva by the Swan Channel and the Winter Channel.

In 1711, Peter the Great ordered the banks of the river to be consolidated. After the Kryukov Canal linked it with the Fontanka River four years later, the Moyka became so much clearer that its name was changed from Mya to Moyka, associated with the Russian verb "to wash".

In 1736, the first Moyka quay was constructed in wood. Four bridges originally spanned the river: the Blue, the Green, the Yellow, and the Red. The 99 meters wide Blue Bridge, now hardly visible underneath St. Isaac's Square, remains the widest bridge in the whole city

  • museums 1 ,
  • parks 1 ,
  • squares 2 ,
  • bridges 1 ,
  • theaters 1
2 km, 441 m
Dvortsovaya ploshchad (Palace Square)

Dvortsovaya ploshchad (Palace Square)

Saint Petersburg, Dvortsovaya ploshchad

One of the most beautiful and harmonious ensembles of architecture in the world, Palace Square remains the main public space of St. Petersburg throughout nearly three centuries

Palace Square was laid out in 1819-1829 by Carlo Rossi, a neoclassicist architect of Italian descent who designed a large number of streets and squares in St. Petersburg. The picturesque Baroque Winter Palace (built in 1754-62) stands on the northern side of the square. Across the square, on the southern side, there is a classical yellow-and-white General Staff building (built in 1819-29 by Carlo Rossi). This building encircles the Southern side of the square and through its central arch, designed as a Triumphal Arch of the Classical World, you can reach Nevsky Prospect. On the eastn side the building of the former Royal Guards' General Staff tastefully closes the panorama of Palace Square, while on the West the square borders with the Admiralty and the Admiralty Garden.

Many significant events took place here, including the Bloody Sunday massacre in 1905 and the October Revolution in 1917.

Today the enormous square is more peaceful. Locals often gather here and tourists gaze at the architectural delights or stand in line to get to the Hermitage. Political rallies and official ceremonies still take place here, although today you're more likely to see a concert or festival here.

Pevchesky Bridge

Pevchesky Bridge

St. Petersburg, Moilka river

The fourth widest bridge in St. Petersburg

The Pevchesky Bridge, also known as the Choristers' Bridge or Yellow Bridge (Жёлтый Мост, Zholtyi Most), is a single-span bridge across the Moika River in Saint Petersburg, Russia. The bridge is a part of the Palace Square. The length of the bridge is 21 metres, and the width is 72 metres. It is the third-widest bridge in Saint Petersburg, after the Blue Bridge and Kazansky Bridge. Before the February Revolution, the term "Choristers’ Bridge" was shorthand for the tsarist foreign ministry, just as the French foreign ministry is known as the Quai d'Orsay.

338 m
Saint Petersburg Court Chapel

Saint Petersburg Court Chapel

St. Petersburg, Moika river emb., 20

The oldest active Russian professional musical institution

Based in the city of Saint Petersburg, it was founded in 1479 by an order of Ivan III of Russia as the State Choir of Singing Dyaks. The institution currently consists of a choir, an orchestra, and has its own concert hall. It also had an educational music college at one point, which is currently independent of the Court Capella.

The Capella is associated with the likes of Dmytro Bortnianskiy, Maksym Berezovskiy, Mikhail Glinka, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, and Anatoliy Lyadov.

49 m
National Pushkin Museum

National Pushkin Museum

St. Petersburg, Moika river Embankment, 12

Memorial apartment is the last lodging of Russian poet Alexander Pushkin

The Pushkin Apartment Museum, located in one of the oldest stone mansions in St. Petersburg at River Moika, 12, which in XIX century belonged to several generations of the Dukes Volkonky. It is the Memorial Museum of the poet, telling about the last period of his life and creativity. That was Alexander Pushkin’s last apartment. There he died on January 29 (old style), 1837 after he had been mortally wounded at the duel.

The central part of exposition represents Pushkin's study. The Captain's Daughter novel and many other things were written here. A clock in Gothic style is placed on the wall. According to contemporaries, it stopped on February, 10 at 2 P.M., when Pushkin’s heart ceased beating.

257 m
Marsovo pole (The Field of Mars)

Marsovo pole (The Field of Mars)

Saint Petersburg, Marsovo pole

A large park named after Mars, the Roman god of war, situated in the center of Saint Petersburg

The history of Field of Mars goes back to the first years of Saint Petersburg. At that time it was called the Great Meadow. Later it was the setting for celebrations to mark Russia's victory in the Great Northern War and the field was renamed the Amusement Field (Poteshnoe Pole). In the 1740s the Amusement Field was turned for a short while into a walking park with paths, lawns, and flowers. Its next name – Tsarina’s Meadow – appeared after the royal family commissioned Rastrelli to build the Summer Palace for Empress Elizabeth. But towards the end of the 18th century Tsarina’s Meadow became a military drill ground where they erected monuments commemorating the victories of the Russian Army and where parades and military exercises took place regularly.

After the February Revolution in 1917 the Field of Mars finally lost its significance as a military drill ground and became a memorial area, used to buried the revolution's honoured dead. In summer 1942 the Field of Mars was completely covered with vegetable gardens to supply the besieged Leningrad.

807 m
Mikhailovsky Garden

Mikhailovsky Garden

St. Petersburg, Inzhenernaya ul., 2

Mikhailovskiy Garden is a part of The Summer Garden, which was laid down in the times of Peter the Great

Mikhailovsky Garden is one of the most rare monuments of landscape architecture of XVIII — the first third of the XIX centuries, representing a unique combination of two different styles of landscape art on one territory — regular or "French" and landscape or "English" gardens.

During the time of Peter I the territory of contemporary Mikhailovsky Garden was called "Swedish garden". It was gifted by the emperor to his spouse Catherine. On the place where now is located a pavilion constructed upon K. Rossi's  project (on the Moika River Emb.) there was the palace of the empress called as a “Golden mansion". In the middle of the XVIII century, in the reign of  impress Elizabeth, the garden was reorganized upon the project of  F.-B.Rastrelli. Two big ponds which remain up to now in southeast part of a garden had a geometrical form, and behind them started the big garden labyrinth stretching up to the Nevsky Avenue.

In the XIX century the garden changes its "regular" face on the "landscape" shape and becomes part of the ensemble of the Mikhailovsky Palace – a marvellous example of architectural unity of the building and a natural landscape created upon a plan of the great architect Carlo Rossi.

Mikhailovsky Garden was in the private possession and became available to citizens’ visit from the moment of the Russian Museum’s foundation in 1895. In 1999, having almost completely lost the historical appearance, I became part of the Russian Museum. The XXI century - a reference point of the contemporary history of Mikhailovsky Garden. Having passed large-scale reconstruction, it began the life not only as a unique monument of landscape architecture, but also as modern museum space, a peculiar green hall open-air.

782 m