Chronicle of the Blockade City route

On this route you will see the significant places of Leningrad's siege

In September 8, 1941 the ring of siege laid around Leningrad. There were 2,887,000 inhabitants in the city those days. The front line laid just 6 km away from boundary of the city. During the war 107158 explosive and incendiary bombs were dropped on Leningrad. Rationed norm of bread during the first winter of the siege was 125 grams per day. Communication of the city with the mainland was carried only by air and by water, later called the road of life.

  • museums 5 ,
  • military glory 1
21 km, 210 m
Rumyantsev's mansion

Rumyantsev's mansion

St.Petersburg, Angliiskay naberezhnaya, 44

Lenigrad during the World War II Exhibition

An early XIX century architectural monument, the only building in St.Petersburg with 12 columns at the portico. The building was owned by Count N.Rumyantsev who was a civil servant and a collectioner. His collections of pieces of art and antiquities became the main part of the Rumyantsev museum, Russian State library and The Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts in Moscow. 

One may visit the interiors of the mansion as well as the exposition of life in Leningrad in the 1920-30s and in the days of World War II. See the hands-on exhibits "Nevsky prospect" and "Communal flat", the first trolley-bus constructed in 1936.

One may visit a musical and historical show where the musicians play the music of the late epochs and the actors are dressed accordingly.

1
House of Radio

House of Radio

St. Petersburg, Malaya Sadovaya Street, 2/27

The house was built in 1912-1914

Since 1932 the building houses the main broadcasting station of Leningrad radio. In the days of the Siege of Leningrad the transmission did not stop for a single day and remained the main source of the information announcing the news from the theater of war and air-raid warnings. The voices of O.Bergholz, A.Akhmatova, V.Vishnevsky, N.Tikhonov and M.Petrova supported the citizens by reading their works. On the first night of the Symphony No. 7 (titled “Leningrad”) of D.Shostakovich was broadcasted from the Grand hall of the Philharmonia to every house of the besieged city. In 2004-2012 the ground-floor of the house was the place of the “Open studio” of the “5th channel” - a talk show concerning political and social issued. The studio was a glass pavilion open to the street.

The halls of the House of radio were the place where choirs, orchestra performances and radio plays used to be recorded. After the 300th anniversary of St.Petersburg the halls were reconstructed accordinfg to the modern standards. Today not only orchestras are recorded, but also heels clicking.

Seek for the loudspeker at the corner of Malaya Morskaya st. and Nevsky prospect, set up here in honour to the continious broadcasting of the Lenigrad radio in the besieged city.  

4 km, 775 m
2
Anichkov Palace

Anichkov Palace

St. Petersburg, Nevsky Prospect, 39

The oldest building on Nevsky prospekt, imperial palace

Anichkov palace was constructed in the XVIII century to be the first stone palace on Nevsky prospect. Initially the palace was known as “the palace at the Anichkov bridge”. The bridge in its turn was called after the officer who commanded battalion that performed the construction the bridge over river Fontanka. During the XVIII century the palace would be presented by empress Elisabeth and later on by empress Catherine II to their minions, in the XIX century the palace was owned by the royal family. Today it houses the Youth activity palace with a number of clubs for children’s activities: art, science, sport, technical science, social activity, feasts and theater shows are given. The main New Year feast “Yolka” is celebrated here. 

The halls of the House of radio were the place where choirs, orchestra performances and radio plays used to be recorded. After the 300th anniversary of St.Petersburg the halls were reconstructed accordinfg to the modern standards. Today not only orchestras are recorded, but also heels clicking.

Come over to the garden of the Youth activity palace - a nice place to have a peaceful walk, quiet, despite being next to Nevsky prospect.

1 km, 703 m
3
Leningrad Hero City Obelisk

Leningrad Hero City Obelisk

St.Petersburg, Vosstaniya Square

The Leningrad Hero City Obelisk was opened in memory of the 40 anniversary of the Great Victory on May 8, 1985

The monument on Vosstaniya Square was erected on 8 May, 1985 to commemorate the 40 Anniversary of victory in World War II.

The obelisk is a heavy granite monolith weighing 240 tons. It resembles a bayonet, crowned with a golden star. The monument constitutes the panoramic view of Nevsky Prospect, ended with the spilre of Admiralty building. The Hero City Obelisk is pentahedral in shape; its cross section has the shape of a star, similar to its golden star on the top. The monument has the informal name “screwdriver”

Legendary St. Petersburg "hippopotamus" - a monument to Alexander III was established on the place of the obelisk in the beginning of XX century. After the revolution it was moved to the garden of the marble Palace.

City’s largest shopping centers are situated around Vosstaniya Square. 

1 km, 238 m
4
Church of the Assumption to Small Okhta (Blockade Temple)

Church of the Assumption to Small Okhta (Blockade Temple)

St. Petersburg, Malookhtinsky Prospect, 52

The Church was built in memory of the II World War

The Church of the Assumption of the Virgin (also known as Blockade church, or the Church of Siege) was built on the place where the wooden Church of St. Mary Magdalene Equal-to-the-Apostles closed in 1938 and fully demolished in 1960s.  
The church commemorates the events of the Great Patriotic war (World War II) and pays special attention to those who departed in the course of the Siege of Leningrad.
If you in your mind construct a triangle, it will have one vertex on Saint Alexander Nevsky Lavra, the second vertex on Smolny Cathedral and the third one on the Church of the Assumption. Its architectural looks resembling the Old Russian architecture definitely deserves this neighborhood. 
The Church was built in 1997-2001 after the project of A.Romanovsky and Y.Gruzdev.

In 2007 a monument was unveiled to the children who died in the terrorist attack in Beslan, Republic of North Ossetia-Alania, Russia.

The Church has a Sunday-school for both children and adults; on Thursdays meetings of the orthodox youth club are held. 

4 km, 857 m
5
Piskaryovskoye Memorial Cemetery

Piskaryovskoye Memorial Cemetery

St. Petersburg, Nepokorennyh prospect, 72

The Piskaryovskoye Memorial Cemetery commemorates Leningrad citizens and defenders deceased in the days of the Siege.

The Piskaryovskoye Memorial Cemetery commemorates Leningrad citizens and defenders deceased in the days of the Siege. Its 28-ha area contains beds of honor with over a half a million of people buried there. On the place of mass grave of Leningrad citizens and soldiers in 1945-1960 was constructed a memorial designed by A.V.Vasiliev and E.A.Levinson.  It is the world's largest wartime cemetery.

In 2003 in memorial complex was opened a new memorial slab called "Blockade desk". It is dedicated to teachers worked in the blockade city and pupils continued their study in the blockade days. The idea of the slab was suggested by pupils of the 144th St.Petersburg School. It was the best children's social project in 2003.

8 km, 361 m
6

Useful information

Description: the itinerary presents life in the blockade city, shows how Leningrad had survived for 900 days of the Blockade. Itinerary: Smolny - the Blockade Church - Vosstaniya Square - the House of Radio - Fontanka River Embankment - Rumyantsev Mansion: Exhibition "Leningrad in the II World War". Duration: 3 hours