The Church of St. Alexander Nevsky in Ust-Izhora is located on the old Shlisselburg tract near the confluence of the Izhora river into the Neva. According to the life of Alexander Nevsky, in 1240 many enemies died during the Battle of the Neva at about this place. It is interesting that this happened behind Izhora, away from the main place of hostilities, where the “Alexander's regiments” could not pass.
Nowadays, scientists have different assessments of the scope and significance of the Russian Neva victory in 1240. It is possible that there were not many Swedes, and this particular departure was of a reconnaissance nature and did not set itself the goal of a quick and complete conquest of the "river and the entire Novgorod region." But the fact that the Swedes took bishops with them (that were, at least two, while there were six of them in the whole of Sweden) suggests that they were planning some large-scale action, an important link of which was the landing in the area of present-day Ust-Izhora. At the same time, Alexander Nevsky, of course, showed himself to be a talented commander.
Novgorodians also appreciated the significance of this battle. The capacious message of the Novgorod chronicle contains the exact date of the battle (July 15), an indication of the number of victims, the names of some of them and the names of the main Novgorod heroes. This is how very important battles were described in the Novgorod chronicle. At the same time, the Novgorod scribe linked the victory with the help of Boris and Gleb themselves, the first Russian saints, very revered in Russia, who were mentioned only in exceptional cases.
In 1711-12 in Ust-Izhora, on the site of the present church of Alexander Nevsky, Peter I erected a memorial wooden chapel of the same name. In 1726 the chapel burned down, in 1730 it was rebuilt, but in 1797 it burned down again, this time from a lightning strike. In 1798-1799, the temple was rebuilt, this time in stone, at the expense of local residents.
In 1835-1836, the temple was rebuilt according to the project of the architect Gromov; a new bell tower was erected. In 1842, a stone chapel and a stone fence appeared next to the temple. However, the population in the village increased, and soon the temple could no longer accommodate it. Therefore, in the years 1874-1875, according to the project of the architect Shurupov, two side chapels were added - St. Nicholas the Wonderworker and John the Baptist, and the dome was enlarged. At the same time, the main chapel was also expanded.
In 1934 the church was closed; it housed warehouses. During the war, the bell tower was destroyed by a shell. In 1887-1990, the church was rebuilt in its former form and transferred to the church. However, the paintings of the 19th century that did not survive the war were irretrievably lost. Now, if you're lucky, you can ask the rector's blessing and climb the bell tower to admire the picturesque views of the Neva and the surrounding greenery.
The temple, as in previous times, is the architectural and high-rise accent of the Shlisselburg highway at the mouth of the Izhora river. In the 2000s, two monuments to Alexander Nevsky appeared next to it - a memorial sign-chapel with a bronze bust of the prince (2002) and a separate monument to the commander on the coastal slope (2003).