Architect Rastrelli

This route gives you an opportunity to know more not only about  the works of the greatest architect but also about his personal life, to get acquainted with the concept of "Rastrelli baroque".

  • points of interest 2 ,
  • temples and cathedrals 1 ,
  • squares 1 ,
  • palaces 5
10 km, 300 m
Anichkov Palace

Anichkov Palace

St. Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 39 A

Anichkov Palace is a former imperial palace at the intersection of Nevsky Avenue and the Fontanka River

1
Vorontsov Palace

Vorontsov Palace

St. Petersburg, Sadovaya ul., 26

A Baroque palace compound which occupies a large parcel of land wedged between Sadovaya Street and the Fontanka River in Saint Petersburg,Russia.

The palace of 50 rooms was built at enormous expense by Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli for CountMikhail Illarionovich Vorontsov, Empress Elizabeth's chancellor and maternal relative. The palace took 8 years to build, starting in 1749. After his niece Elizabeth fell from grace, Vorontsov was effectively exiled from the court and sold his main residence to the crown.

Paul I of Russia gave it to the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, of which he was Grand Master. Another Italian architect working in Russia, Giacomo Quarenghi, was then asked to modernise the palace. In 1798-1800, Quarenghi added a Catholic chapel to serve exiled French aristocrats who resided in the Russian capital at the turn of the 19th century. See Russian tradition of the Knights Hospitaller for details.

Since 1810 the Vorontsov Palace has housed a succession of exclusive military schools, including the famous Page Corps (1810-1918) and the Suvorov Military School (from 1955). The palace is screened from Sadovaya Street by an elaborate cast iron grille and is separated from the Fontanka Embankment by a large garden. The Chapel of the Order of Malta went through extensive restoration in 2003 and is currently used for organ recitals.

1 km, 391 m
2
Stroganov palace

Stroganov palace

St. Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 17

Late Baroque palace at the intersection of the Moika River and Nevsky Prospect

One of the best samples of the Russian baroque, the only residential building of the XVIII century on Nevsky Avenue, Stroganov Palace up to 1917 belonged to the most ancient family of industrialists Stroganov. Constructed in the shortest terms upon the project of one of the most demanded architects of the period, F. B. Rastrelli, it stroked contemporaries with its luxury of decor, magnificence of balls of high society and lunches. In the first half of 19 century Stroganovs started to collect large scientific and art collections.

Later the palace became a place of representation of the large collections of books, the West European and Russian painting, numismatics and minerals, and for this purpose were built Mineral and Physical studies, and also Library and Art gallery, where the count A.Stroganov, during the time he was the president of Academy of Arts were placed, gave an opportunity to students (future illustrious Russian painters) to copy works from his collection.

Today the visit to Stroganov Palace becomes a fascinating trip through the pages of its architectural history – from the baroque  Rastrelli’s Big hall to the magnificent samples of classicism in Sadovnikov and Voronikhin's interiors. After the renovation and restoration of its architectural decor Stroganov Palace is again filled with works of painting, sculpture and applied arts from the storage of the Russian Museum.

1 km, 42 m
3
 Winter Palace

Winter Palace

St. Petersburg, Dvortsovaya pl., 2

The Winter Palace is a former imperial palace, at present is a part of the Main Museum Complex of the Hermitage

The elegant, monumental palace is a striking monument of the Baroque style in mid-18th-century Russian art. The palace is a brilliant example of the synthesis of architecture and decorative plastic art. All the facades are embellished by a two-tier colonnade. Forming a complex rhythm of verticals, the columns soar upwards, and this motion embraces the numerous statues and vases on the roof. The abundance of moulded decoration - fanciful cornices and window architraves, mascarons, cartouches, rocailles, and a variety of pediments - creates an extremely rich play of light and shade that invest the building's appearance with magnificence.

Developing upon one and the same architectural motif, Rastrelli gave each of the four facades of the palace a different structural rhythm. The southern facade, overlooking the square, has a formal grandeur. Here the architect pierced the building with three arches to create a grand entrance into the courtyard and accentuated it with the vertical elements of paired columns. The majestic northern facade, giving the impression of an endless colonnade, faces the broad expanse of the Neva. The western facade, across from the Admiralty, is reminiscent of the composition of a countryside palace with a small courtyard. The monumental eastern facade with its massive side blocks forming a large cour d'honneur is turned to Millionnaya Street, where the mansions of the nobility stood.

For 150 years the palace served as an imperial residence. In November 1917, after the October Revolution, it was declared a museum. The exhibition placed in the palace includes grand halls and chambers, collections of the antiquities of Eurasia and the East, as well as collections of European and Eastern paintings, sculptures, and decorative art works.

Ticket price — 600 roubles

771 m
4
Palace of Moldovan Prince Dmitry Kantemir

Palace of Moldovan Prince Dmitry Kantemir

St. Petersburg, Millionnaya ul., 7
1 km, 266 m
5
Office of the buildings

Office of the buildings

St. Petersburg, pr. Chernyshevskogo, 3
2 km, 782 m
6
Shpalernaya ul., 48

Shpalernaya ul., 48

St. Petersburg, Shpalernaya ul., 48
788 m
7
Smolny Cathedral

Smolny Cathedral

St. Petersburg, pl. Rastrelli, 1

The Cathedral is the centerpiece of the Smolny convent

The cathedral was built by Rastrelli between 1748 and 1764. The projected bell-tower was to become the tallest building in St. Petersburg and, at the time, all of Russia. Elizabeth's death in 1762 prevented Rastrelli from completing this grand design.

Today, Smolny Cathedral is used primarily as a concert hall and the surrounding convent buildings house various offices and government institutions.

1 km, 274 m
8
Rastrelli square

Rastrelli square

St. Petersburg, Rastrelli square
282 m
9