Peterhof.Palaces&park

Professional Russian-speaking guides. You will enter the museum without any queue. Take amazing pictures & video.

Bus tour to Peterhof – luxurious residence, located along the Western part of the city on the coast of The Gulf of Finland.

This is a magic combination of green parks, colorful gardens & majestic palaces. Complex of eleven parks, dozens of buildings, and pavilions with more than 200 fountains and numerous sculptures was formed in the area of over 1000 hectares. You will visit Great Peterhof Palace, Monplaisir (or Hermitage Pavilion, Marly Palace) Palace, amazing parks and more than 200 fountains.

A route for disabled persons who move independently

  • points of interest 2 ,
  • museums 2 ,
  • parks 1
74 km, 540 m
Bolshoy Gostiny Dvor

Bolshoy Gostiny Dvor

Saint Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 35

Bolshoy Gostiny Dvor is a vast department store on Nevsky prospekt

This Gostiny Dvor is not only the city's oldest shopping centre, but also one of the first shopping arcades in the world. Sprawling at the intersection of Nevsky prospekt and Sadovaya street for over one kilometer and embracing the area of 53,000 m2 (570,000 sq ft), the indoor complex of more than 100 shops took twenty-eight years to construct. Building works commenced in 1757 to an elaborate design by Bartolomeo Rastrelli, but that subsequently was discarded in favour of a less expensive and more functional Neoclassical design submitted by Jean-Baptiste Vallin de la Mothe (1729–1800).

Throughout the following century, Gostiny Dvor was continuously augmented, resulting in ten indoor streets and as many as 178 shops by the 20th century. By that time, the Gostiny Dvor had lost its popularity to the more fashionable Passage and New Passage, situated on the Nevsky prospekt nearby. During the post-World War II reconstructions, its inner walls were demolished and a huge shopping mall came into being. This massive 18th-century structure got a face-lift recently and entered the 21st century as one of the most fashionable shopping centres in Eastern Europe. A nearby station of Saint Petersburg metro takes its name from Gostiny Dvor.

1
State Museum Complex "Peterhof"

State Museum Complex "Peterhof"

St. Petersburg, Peterhof, Razvodnaya street, 2

Russian tsars' summer residence of 18th-19th centuries

Peterhof founded in the very beginning of the XVIII century by the emperor Peter I near the new capital - St. Petersburg, became one of the most magnificent summer imperial residences and a peculiar triumphal monument of a successful conclusion of fight of Russia for an exit to the Baltic Sea. Regular Upper garden and Lower park were laid out, the Grand palace and some "small" palaces and pavilions were built, the world's largest system of fountains and water cascades was created, the most part of sculptural furniture was created to the middle of the 20th years of the XVIII century.

Visit the only museum in Russia, devoted to history of playing cards in Peterhof. It is located in the building of the former Palace board constructed in the end of the XVIII century. More than 8 thousand exhibits are presented in six halls of the museum. There are items of visual art and of arts and crafts representing the game and its attributes or related to it directly, and also unique in its content library except playing cards. 

36 km, 932 m
2
The Lower Park

The Lower Park

Saint Petersburg, Peterhof, Razvodnaya ul., 2

The Lower Park was created based on examples of the regular gardens, and preserved all the features of its French originals. Even though many of the decorative elements have now disappeared, time could not destroy the marvellous architectural harmony of the garden, created by J.-B. Le Blond, a talented student of the creator of the Versailles gardens, A. Le Nostre. The Lower Park is divided into three connecting parts: central ("Grand"), western ("Marly") and eastern ("Monplaisir")

Total area - 102,5 hectares

1714 - 1723,

Architects: J. Braunstein, J. B. Le Blond, N. Michetti, F. Rastrelli,

А. N. Voronikhin, А. I. Stakenschneider.

Gardening masters: L. Garnihfelt, А. Borisov, B. Fock, Т. Timofeev

The plan of the Lower Park is defined by the two systems of alleys, parting in a principle of a fan from the Grand palace and the Marly palace. The planning scheme was thought so deeply, that no garden decoration, nor a single detail is hidden from the sight of the guests. Each alley is ending at a palace or a fountain. A regular park is characterized by a symmetrical positioning of it's key constructions. The cascades are set on the hillsides - "The Great" (in the central part, at the footsteps of the Grand palace), "Chessboard Hill" (in the eastern part) and "Golden Hill" (in the western part). In front of each of them are paired fountains: "Bowl", "Roman" and"Menager". Only one of the four cascades is located in the parterre - the "Lion Cascade". It is the most recently completed because of the time of its creation. It is the epitome of the idea Peter I incorporated in the composition of the park: that each palace and pavilion should have its own matching cascade.

150 fountains decorate the park within an area of 112,5 hectares. Including the trick fountains: the "Little Oak", the "Umbrella", "Little firs", the "Water road" and"Benches", which are the most popular fountains among children and adults.

In 1917, after the October revolution, Peterhof became a large educational center. During World War II, the german occupiers barbarously destroyed the palaces and the park. The reconstruction began from the first days of the liberation. And today, this nature and man-made masterpiece welcomes the guests, impressing and surprising them, just like before. In 1990, the architecture and park ensemble "Peterhof" was included in the world’s list of intangible cultural heritage of UNESCO, and was recognized in 2008, as one of the seven wonders of Russia. 

Free admission, but:

Special entry prices for the evening visit to the Lower Park on weekdays since 17:45, on Saturday since 19:30 and on Sunday and national holiday since 18:45

Full-rate ticket: 300 rubles, students and school children above 16 (with ID): 200 rubles

1 km, 822 m
3
Grand Peterhof Palace

Grand Peterhof Palace

The Grand Peterhof Palace, majestic and elegant, with its facade stretching for almost 300 meters, occupies the dominant position of the Peterhof ensemble composition, connecting the Upper garden and the Lower park, in a single artistic entity. "Having stretched its wings" over the aquatic extravaganza of the Great cascade, it unites and forms a harmonic complex of alleys, architectural constructions and fountains.

1714 -1725, architect J.F. Braunstein, J.-B. Le Blond, N. Michetti.

1745-1755, architect F. B. Rastrelli.

The existing appearance of the palace had been forming for almost a century and a half. In Peter's epoch, this was a small two-story building, with its width not exceeding the one of the Grand cascade. It was called the Upper or Hilltop chambers, and served for receptions and celebrations. The idea of the location and the original appearance of the palace, belonged to Peter himself, and was realized by the architect, J.F. Braunstein, and such prominent creators as, J.-B. Le Blond and N. Michetti. In 1732, the palace was extended with two galleries according to the project of M. Zemtsov, but the modest Peter's palace, did no longer cohere with the glitter and splendor of Russia's court of that time.

This was a cause of reconstruction, performed by F. B. Rastrelli. The favorite architect of the empress, Elizabeth Petrovna, had to carry out the challenging task, to not only create the gem of Elizabeth's baroque, but also to preserve the walls of the Peter's palace, having unbuilt them into a new setting. Rastrelli coped with the task brilliantly. The palace received an additional floor, the center space increased considerably, extended by the wings of the single-story galleries, that were finalized by the side pavilions - the Church and the Coat-of-Arms. The interiors of the palace, created by the architect, surpassed by their dynamics and fairy splendor. The walls of the halls were decorated with gilded carving, the mirrors created the impression of the endless perspective, and were visually increasing an inside space. The Oak Study of Peter I, retained by Rastrelli, became a relic, placed in the magnificent setting of the new palace.

In 1760-1770, the baroque splendor became out of fashion and the interiors of the palace began to acquire different сontour, in line with the new Classical style. At that time, the main element of decoration were the stucco compositions, that created the impression of nobleness, simplicity and exquisite artistic taste. On the order of the empress Catherine II, architect Y.M.Velten re-designed the Dining, Throne and Chesme Halls, while J.-B.Vallin de la Mothe, created two Chinese cabinets in 1766-1767. 

The palace has changed in the XIX century. In 1846, on the emperor Nicholas I's orders, in the eastern wing overlooking the Upper garden, the architect Stackenschneider created eight interiors, by upbuilding a third floor, on the occasion of the emperor's daughter Olga Nikolaevna's marriage, to the Prince Karl of Württemberg. Since then, the eastern wing started to be called as "Olga's half" of the Grand Peterhof Palace.

The architectural appearance of the Grand Palace, formed as a result of all the above reconstructions, bears distinct traces of various artistic tastes and styles, but the talent and professional respect for each other, allowed the architects of different eras, to create the final composition. 

For a long time, the Grand Peterhof Palace has been a center of social life. Celebrations, receptions, balls and masquerades, inviting for up to three thousand guests, took place here. In the Palace Church, they held wedding ceremonies, baptized their children and served prayers in honor of military victories.

During the years of the Second World War, the Grand Palace was burned and exploded. It seems that, it would be impossible to re-create it from the ruins. But already in May 1964, the first restored halls were re-opened. Today, the visitors can expect a fascinating journey around the magical palace, filled with objects of decorative-applied art, splendid furniture and superb sculptural and art works. 

Ticket cost — 1000 rubles

355 m
4
Bolshoy Gostiny Dvor

Bolshoy Gostiny Dvor

Saint Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 35

Bolshoy Gostiny Dvor is a vast department store on Nevsky prospekt

This Gostiny Dvor is not only the city's oldest shopping centre, but also one of the first shopping arcades in the world. Sprawling at the intersection of Nevsky prospekt and Sadovaya street for over one kilometer and embracing the area of 53,000 m2 (570,000 sq ft), the indoor complex of more than 100 shops took twenty-eight years to construct. Building works commenced in 1757 to an elaborate design by Bartolomeo Rastrelli, but that subsequently was discarded in favour of a less expensive and more functional Neoclassical design submitted by Jean-Baptiste Vallin de la Mothe (1729–1800).

Throughout the following century, Gostiny Dvor was continuously augmented, resulting in ten indoor streets and as many as 178 shops by the 20th century. By that time, the Gostiny Dvor had lost its popularity to the more fashionable Passage and New Passage, situated on the Nevsky prospekt nearby. During the post-World War II reconstructions, its inner walls were demolished and a huge shopping mall came into being. This massive 18th-century structure got a face-lift recently and entered the 21st century as one of the most fashionable shopping centres in Eastern Europe. A nearby station of Saint Petersburg metro takes its name from Gostiny Dvor.

34 km, 930 m
5

Useful information

The route is provided by the company "ZAO Turservis". Official website: https://www.tourtransservice.ru/