"Bus tour & Hermitage"

Professional Russian-speaking guides. 3 fixed stops. You will enter the museum without any queue. Ends at the Hermitage

A sightseeing combo tour around the historical part of Saint-Petersburg with a visit to the Hermitage museum, accompanied by professional Russian-speaking guide.

Enjoy the major city attractions: St. Isaac's and Palace squires, Nevsky Prospect, St. Isaac’s and Kazan Cathedrals, the Arrow of Vasilievsky island, Church of the Savior On Blood, Kunstkamera museum, Peter and Paul fortress, Hermitage, Palace bridge, The Bronze Horseman, beautiful Summer garden and others. 3 fixed stops in order to observe architectural ensembles and take pictures & video. You will enter the museum without any queue. Ends at the Hermitage.

A route for disabled persons who move independently

  • temples and cathedrals 1 ,
  • points of interest 2 ,
  • squares 3 ,
  • palaces 1 ,
  • museums 2 ,
  • parks 1 ,
  • monuments 1 ,
  • bridges 3
14 km, 317 m
Bolshoy Gostiny Dvor

Bolshoy Gostiny Dvor

Saint Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 35

Bolshoy Gostiny Dvor is a vast department store on Nevsky prospekt

This Gostiny Dvor is not only the city's oldest shopping centre, but also one of the first shopping arcades in the world. Sprawling at the intersection of Nevsky prospekt and Sadovaya street for over one kilometer and embracing the area of 53,000 m2 (570,000 sq ft), the indoor complex of more than 100 shops took twenty-eight years to construct. Building works commenced in 1757 to an elaborate design by Bartolomeo Rastrelli, but that subsequently was discarded in favour of a less expensive and more functional Neoclassical design submitted by Jean-Baptiste Vallin de la Mothe (1729–1800).

Throughout the following century, Gostiny Dvor was continuously augmented, resulting in ten indoor streets and as many as 178 shops by the 20th century. By that time, the Gostiny Dvor had lost its popularity to the more fashionable Passage and New Passage, situated on the Nevsky prospekt nearby. During the post-World War II reconstructions, its inner walls were demolished and a huge shopping mall came into being. This massive 18th-century structure got a face-lift recently and entered the 21st century as one of the most fashionable shopping centres in Eastern Europe. A nearby station of Saint Petersburg metro takes its name from Gostiny Dvor.

1
Dvortsovaya ploshchad (Palace Square)

Dvortsovaya ploshchad (Palace Square)

Saint Petersburg, Dvortsovaya ploshchad

One of the most beautiful and harmonious ensembles of architecture in the world, Palace Square remains the main public space of St. Petersburg throughout nearly three centuries

Palace Square was laid out in 1819-1829 by Carlo Rossi, a neoclassicist architect of Italian descent who designed a large number of streets and squares in St. Petersburg. The picturesque Baroque Winter Palace (built in 1754-62) stands on the northern side of the square. Across the square, on the southern side, there is a classical yellow-and-white General Staff building (built in 1819-29 by Carlo Rossi). This building encircles the Southern side of the square and through its central arch, designed as a Triumphal Arch of the Classical World, you can reach Nevsky Prospect. On the eastn side the building of the former Royal Guards' General Staff tastefully closes the panorama of Palace Square, while on the West the square borders with the Admiralty and the Admiralty Garden.

Many significant events took place here, including the Bloody Sunday massacre in 1905 and the October Revolution in 1917.

Today the enormous square is more peaceful. Locals often gather here and tourists gaze at the architectural delights or stand in line to get to the Hermitage. Political rallies and official ceremonies still take place here, although today you're more likely to see a concert or festival here.

1 km, 341 m
2
Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood

Saint Petersburg, naberezhnaya kanala Griboedova, 2, lit. B

This church was built on the site where tsar Alexander II was assassinated

This Church was built on the site where Emperor Alexander II was severely wounded and died in March 1881. The church was built from 1883 till 1907. The construction was funded by the imperial family.

Architecturally, the Cathedral differs from St. Petersburg's other structures. The Church contains over 7500 square meters of mosaics—according to its restorers, more than any other church in the world. The walls and ceilings inside the Church are completely covered in intricately detailed mosaics — the main pictures being biblical scenes or figures — but with very fine patterned borders setting off each picture.

2 km, 433 m
3
Saint Michael's (Engineer's) Castle

Saint Michael's (Engineer's) Castle

St. Petersburg, ul. Sadovaya, 2

The largest architectural monument that closed the architectural history of the XVIII century

The Mikhailovsky Castle is the only Russian palace constructed in style of romantic classicism. It is the unique building, which involves a lot of stories and legends, often rather mystical. It amalgamates features of a medieval knight's castle and a European palace of XVIII century. Constructed for Paul I (1797 – 1801) upon the project of architects V. Bazhenov and V. Brenna, the Castle became the place of its owner’s mysterious death. That is why during the long time here, in the very heart of the imperial St. Petersburg, two windows of the emperor’s bedroom where his life came to a tragic end were thoroughly curtained during traditional festive illuminations of the city.

At the beginning of the XIX century the Castle, "a deserted monument of the tyrant, a palace consigned to oblivion", accepted in its walls  military men and cultural figures, and later it became the residence of the Engineering school, and magnificent interiors of the former imperial palace were reconstructed and adapted for its needs. During a long time the Castle was named Inzhenernyi, and this name was connected to the Engineering school.  Throughout the Soviet period the Castle was occupied by various military organizations.

And now the restored rooms of the Castle you can visit an interactive exposition "The Romanov Saga" and an open storage of XIX - the beginning of the XXI centuries sculpture, as well as the original marble sculpture of the Summer garden that is also stored here, and equally it is a place where temporary exhibitions are held.

627 m
4
Marsovo pole (The Field of Mars)

Marsovo pole (The Field of Mars)

Saint Petersburg, Marsovo pole

A large park named after Mars, the Roman god of war, situated in the center of Saint Petersburg

The history of Field of Mars goes back to the first years of Saint Petersburg. At that time it was called the Great Meadow. Later it was the setting for celebrations to mark Russia's victory in the Great Northern War and the field was renamed the Amusement Field (Poteshnoe Pole). In the 1740s the Amusement Field was turned for a short while into a walking park with paths, lawns, and flowers. Its next name – Tsarina’s Meadow – appeared after the royal family commissioned Rastrelli to build the Summer Palace for Empress Elizabeth. But towards the end of the 18th century Tsarina’s Meadow became a military drill ground where they erected monuments commemorating the victories of the Russian Army and where parades and military exercises took place regularly.

After the February Revolution in 1917 the Field of Mars finally lost its significance as a military drill ground and became a memorial area, used to buried the revolution's honoured dead. In summer 1942 the Field of Mars was completely covered with vegetable gardens to supply the besieged Leningrad.

454 m
5
Summer Garden

Summer Garden

Saint Petersburg, nab. Kutuzova, 2

The Summer Garden is one of the places where one can feel the atmosphere of Peter's times

The garden with a collection of sculptures and the Summer Palace that was the first Emperor's residence constitute a single museum complex. 

The Summer Garden is a pearl in the garden necklace of Petersburg. Peter I really liked this garden. It was laid out in 1704. Time has changed the garden a lot. However, its original planning still remains. 

Peter I wanted the garden of his residence to be as beautiful as the famous gardens of European monarchs. To decorate the Summer Garden he commissioned marble busts and statues from Italy. This purchase laid the foundation of the collection of sculpture of European level.

The fence on the Neva side of the Summer Garden is an architectural masterpiece of universal fame. The impressive monumentality merges miraculously with lightness, simplicity, and grace.

194 m
6
Trinity Bridge

Trinity Bridge

St. Petersburg, Troitsky most

Trinity Bridge connects Kamennoostrovsky Prospect with Suvorovskaya Square

The Trinity Bridge was opened in 1903 as part of the celebrations of St. Petersburg's 200th anniversary. It was the third permanent bridge, after Blagoveshchensky Bridge and Liteiny Bridge, to be laid across the River Neva, running form just north of the Field of Mars on the left bank of the river to the Petrograd Side next to the Peter and Paul Fortress. Measuring 582 meters, it is the second longest bridge in the city, one of the busiest, and also one of the most beautiful thanks to its spectacularly ornate Art Nouveau design.

The bridge's name refers to the Trinity Cathedral, which once stood by the river on the Petrograd Side. The name was changed to Bridge of Equality in 1918, and the Cathedral was destroyed soon after. In 1934, the bridge was renamed to honor Sergei Kirov, revolutionary and Bolshevik leader of Petrograd. The original name was only restored in 1999.

783 m
7
The Central Naval Museum, Cruiser "Aurora"

The Central Naval Museum, Cruiser "Aurora"

St. Petersburg, Petrogradskaya embankment

21.09.2014 the ship was transferred to the Kronstadt shipyard`s dockage facility till 2016

The ship is a 1900 Russian protected cruiser, currently preserved as a museum ship. In the same time Aurora stands today as the oldest commissioned ship of the Russian Navy. The Cruiser  Aurora is a legendary 1st rank Cruiser. The Aurora's keel was laid down at the "New Admiralty" shipyard in St.Petersburg on 23 May 1897. The cruiser was launched on 11 May 1900 and joined the Navy of Russia in July1903.
During the Russian-Japanese War the cruiser, being included in the second Pacific Ocean squadron, sailed to the Far East (October 1904 - May 1905). The cruiser Aurora had her baptism of fire in the Tsushima battle on 14-15 May 1905. When she returned to the Baltic sea, the Aurora for a long time was used as a ship for training naval cadets of the Naval College. In 1917 the Aurora's crew took an active part in the February and October revolutionary activities and the Civil War repulsing international intervention. On 25 October 1917 a blank shot from her forecastle gun signaled the start of the assault on the Winter Palace, which was to be the beginning of the October Revolution. For the whole period of the Leningrad siege from 1941 to 1944 the Aurora was moored at a pier in the Oranienbaum port (the town of Lomonosov) and was constantly shelled and bombed. The hull was holed, got many leakages and sank aground, but the small crew courageously fought for the life of their ship. In July 1944 the ship was raised and taken into a dock for repair.
In 1948 the cruiser Aurora was moored at the Petrogradskaya embankment of Leningrad and till 1956 was used as a naval training ship by the Leningrad Nakhimov College. In 1956 the cruiser Aurora was made a museum (a branch of the Central Naval Museum). 
The Cruiser Aurora is often mentioned in various art works - songs, poems and movies. So in 1945 was made a film about the legendary cruiser Varyag. The role of the Variag fell to Aurora's lot. 
1 km, 96 m
8
Birzhevoy Bridge

Birzhevoy Bridge

St. Petersburg, Birzhevoi most

Birzhevoy Bridge across Malaya Neva river is connecting Vasilievskiy Island and Petrogradskaya Storona 

Crossing the mouth of the Malaya Neva River between Vasilevsky Island and Mytninskaya Embankment on the Petrograd Side, the Birzhevoy Bridge (Exchange Bridge), which takes its name from the nearby Stock Exchange Building - "birzha" in Russian - was built between 1957 and 1960, but designed to match the much older Palace Bridge on the other side of the Vasilevsky Island Spit. The five-span steel bridge rests on granite-faced piers of reinforced concrete, and the bridges simple but elegant decorations include cast iron railings featuring nautical decorations.

2 km, 675 m
9
Spit of Vasilievsky Island

Spit of Vasilievsky Island

Saint Petersburg, Birzhevaya ploshchad

Architectural complex “Spit of Vasilyevsky Island” is one of the most beautiful places in St. Petersburg

Rostral Columns (the height of each one reaches 32 meters) and the Exchange building constitute the center of architectural composition. 

The Spit represents a small cape in the southeastern part of Vasilievsky Island, washed by the Big and Little Neva.

A huge water space allows  to see the whole ensemble of the Spit in all it's splendor. For two decades, the Twelve Collegia (1722 - 1742), the Kunstkammer (1718 - 1734), the Novobirzhevoy Gostiny Dvor (1722 - 1735) and the palace of the Tsaritsa Praskovia Fedorovna (the wife of Peter the Great's brother Ivan) and other structures appeared on the Spit of Vasilievsky Island.
 

The seaport firmly established itself on the spit: dozens of ships and boats transported people and cargo in the water area. In 1781 at the Spit of Vasilievsky Island began the construction of the Exchange building under the leadership of J. Quarenghi. However, with its main facade, it faced the Winter Palace, and thus did not fit fully into the ensemble of the square. Therefore, four years later the building was dismantled. The project of the new Exchange building was developed by the French architect J.F. Tom de Tomon. The building, made by the type of temples of Ancient Greece, was built in 1804 -1816. The attic of the facade is decorated with the sculptural group "Neptune with two rivers", and on the opposite side of the Stock Exchange building – the sculptural group "Navigation with Mercury and two rivers". Since 1940, the Central Naval Museum is located here – one of the oldest in St. Petersburg.
 
In 1826 - 1832, according to the project of the architect I.F. Lukini on both sides of the Stock Exchange building were built southern and northern warehouses – closed storage facilities. Now the Zoological Museum is located in the southern warehouse. Behind the northern exchange warehouse, symmetricallly to the building of the Kunstkammer (in relation to the ensemble of spit) there is a building of the Customs, built also by the architect IF. Lukini in the classical style. Since 1927 the Institute of Russian Literature – Pushkin House is located here. The ensemble of spit also includes the main building of the Academy of Sciences, which is located between the Kunstkammer and the building of the Twelve Colleges.


 

320 m
10
Palace Bridge

Palace Bridge

St. Petersburg, Dvortsovy most

Dvortsoviy Bridge also known as Palace Bridge took its name after the Winter Palace, Dvortsovaya (Palace) Square and Embankment

The first pontoon bridge connected Admiralteyskiy and Vasilievsky Isles in 1856 directly in front of the Winter Palace, but in 1896-1897 it was relocated to the place where today the Palace Bridge is situated. The permanent iron drawbridge was constructed in 1912-1916 by engineers A.Pshenitzkiy and R.Meltzer. Interesting fact: some wooden elements of bridge’s construction remained unchanged till 1978. Palace Bridge is technically the most perfect one of all Neva’s bridges. Unique mechanism of the drawbridge, consisted of engines, colossal cogwheels (some full metal cast in block details remain from the opening of the bridge) and floating bridge counterbalances weighting thousands of tons, allows lifting 700 tons of bridge spans. In 1997 the Palace Bridge got it’s colorful illumination.

During fests the open spans of the bridge become the screen for imaged films.  

259 m
11
Monument to Peter I on Senate Square (Bronze Horseman)

Monument to Peter I on Senate Square (Bronze Horseman)

Saint Petersburg, Senatskaya ploshchad

Monument to the founder of St.Petersburg

Commissioned by Catherine the Great, the monument was created by the French sculptor Étienne Maurice Falconet in 1782. The second name (the Bronze Horseman) comes from the same name poem written by Aleksander Pushkin (1833). The monument symbolizes the Russian victory over Sweden in the Northern War (1700-1721): the snake symbolizes a defeated enemy, the horse symbolizes Russia. The pedestal of this monument is a huge so-called "thunder-stone", which was delivered to Senate Square from a borough Lakhta.

There is a legend that one can find the name of Étienne Falconet on a fold of Peter the Great's cloak.

614 m
12
Saint Isaac's Square

Saint Isaac's Square

St. Petersburg, Saint Isaac's Square
None
541 m
13
The State Hermitage Museum

The State Hermitage Museum

Saint Petersburg, Dvortsovaya ploshchad, 2

The collection of the State Hermitage includes more than three million works of art and artefacts of the world culture

The State Hermitage Museum is one of the largest artistic and cultural and historical museums in Russia and one of the largest in the world.The museum starts its history from collections of works of art which were gained by Russian empress Catherine II in private capacity.

The main expositions of the State Hermitage are placed in the Main Museum Complex, which is situated in the historical centre of Saint Petersburg. It is represented by  the Winter Palace, which is a former emperor's residence, Small Hermitage, Old Hermitage and New Hermitage, and also Hermitage Theatre.

In the Main Museum Complex of the State Hermitage are presented the monuments of culture and arts of the ancient world, Europe, Russia, the East, archaeological and numismatic collections. In the  Hermitage collection there are two paintings by Leonardo da Vinci and sculpture by Michelangelo, which can be found nowhere else in Russia, as well as the  largest collection of Rembrandt's paintings outside Netherlands.

The expositions of the State Hermitage Museum are also located in the General Staff, the Winter Palace of Peter I, Menshikov Palace, the Museum of the Imperial Porcelain Factory, Staraya Derevnya Restoration and Storage Centre.

Ticket price — 600 roubles

300  roubles – entry ticket to one of the Hermitage branches (Winter Palace of Peter the Great, Menshikov Palace, the Museum of the Imperial Porcelain Factory, Staraya Derevnya Restoration and Storage Centre)

 

1 km, 310 m
14

Useful information

The route is provided by the company "ZAO Turservis". Official website: https://www.tourtransservice.ru/