Along Nevsky prospekt to the Admiralty

Nevsky prospekt is the main street of St. Petersburg and the most famous and beautiful sights are situated here

  • points of interest 6 ,
  • railway stations 1 ,
  • streets 1 ,
  • theaters 1 ,
  • palaces 3 ,
  • museums 1 ,
  • parks 1 ,
  • monuments 1 ,
  • bridges 1
5 km, 809 m
Moskovsky railway station

Moskovsky railway station

St. Petersburg, Nevsky prospect, 85

One of the five largest railway stations in Russia

Moskovsky train station is a complex, multi-industry transport mechanism. He is among the five largest stations in RussiaHere for the first time in Russia appeared in the "Business center", sheds, ticket management center, halls superiorToday the station daily sent 15.4 thousand passengers in long-distance communication and 27.6 thousand passengers in the suburbanEvery day 32 pairs long messages and 47 pairs of commuter trains arrive and depart from the station.

Railway station timetable

Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace

Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace

Saint Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 41

Belosselsky Belozersky Palace is a Neo-Baroque palace at the intersection of the Fontanka River and Nevsky Prospekt

The palace belonged to the Princes Beloselskiy, a family who claimed descent from Yuri Dolgorukiy, the founder of Moscow. Their first palace was built on the same site by the Fontanka River in 1747, but it was a much more modest affair. The family's fortunes increased thanks to the close relationship between Prince Alexander Mikhailovich Beloselskiy-Belozerskiy and Emperor Paul I, and through marriage to two heiresses to Urals mining fortunes. It was one of those heiresses, the widowed Princess Elena Pavlovna Beloselskaya-Belozerskaya, who commissioned the present palace, petitioning Emperor Nicholas I to allow his court architect, Andrey Stackensneider, to design the building (his only civil commission in the city).

The palace was built 1847-1848, and became renowned for the lavish parties thrown there by Elena Pavlovna. A few decades later, however, the family found the palace too expensive to maintain, and it was sold to Grand Duke Sergey Alexandrovich, brother of Emperor Alexander III, in 1884. He had part of the interiors redesigned in 1888, and in 1897 the facades were restored and first painted in the deep pink that can be seen today.

Nationalised after the October Revolution, the Beloselskiy-Belozerskiy Palace became the headquarters of the Regional Committee of the Communist Party for the centre of Leningrad. In this role, its historic interiors were carefully maintained during the 20th century, despite significant damage in the Second World War, and the original rococo decorations have largely survived intact. The building is now home to a Municipal Cultural Centre (along with several smaller institutions), and hosts regular concerts of chamber music as well as offering occasional guided tours of the state rooms (three or four times per month or by appointment).

1 km, 308 m
Anichkov Bridge

Anichkov Bridge

Saint Petersburg, Anichkov most

The Anichkov Bridge is the first and most famous bridge across the Fontanka River in Saint Petersburg

The current bridge, built in 1841-42 and reconstructed in 1906-08, combines a simple form with some spectacular decorations. As well as its four famous horse sculptures (1849–50), the bridge has some of the most celebrated ornate iron railings in Saint Petersburg. The structure is mentioned in the works of Pushkin, Gogol, and Dostoevsky.

During the siege of Leningrad bridge was damaged by artillery attack. Were damaged granite parapets and railing sections. Crossing became blockade monument: on granite pedestal horses  intentionally decided not to restore the trail from German artillery shell fragments.

103 m
Anichkov Palace

Anichkov Palace

St. Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 39 A

Anichkov Palace is a former imperial palace at the intersection of Nevsky Avenue and the Fontanka River

183 m
Malaya Sadovaya Street

Malaya Sadovaya Street

St. Petersburg, Malaya Sadovaya ulitsa

Malaya Sadovaya Street is a pedestrian street with cafes, terraces, and fountains in the heart of St. Petersburg

It runs between Italyanskaya Street (Italian Street) and the Nevsky Prospect. 175 metres (574 ft) long, it is St. Petersburg's shortest street.

In the 18th Century, Ivan Shuvalov owned land at the corner of what is now Malaya Sadovaya Street and Italyanskaya Street, thus giving the street its first name, Shuvalov Lane. At the same time a different backstreet also called Shuvalov and a street called Novy Pereulok (New Lane) existed in the area. The name Malaya Sadovaya (Little Garden) Street is first mentioned in 1836.

On April 16, 1887, the street was renamed to Catherine Street in honor of Catherine the Great. It kept this name until the revolution.

In September 1918, a number of streets and squares in Petersburg were renamed, and Catherine Street was renamed Proletkult Street, after the cultural, educational, and literary organization Proletarian Culture which at the time was housed on the street, at № 2. But after World War II, most of these streets got back their historical names, and on June 28, 1948, Proletkult Street again became Malaya Sadovaya Street.

206 m
The Catherine Garden

The Catherine Garden

St. Petersburg, Ostrovskogo pl.

The Catherine garden is a part of the Ostrovskiy Square complex, on the territory of the Anichkov Palace manor

The Catherine Garden is an informal name of the park that is located in front of the Alexandrinskiy Theatre. It was established in 1820-es under the project of architect K. Rossi. The Catherine garden is a part of the Ostrovskiy Square complex, on the territory of the Anichkov Palace manor. The building of Alexandrinskiy Theatre is dominating in the square's view. The central place of the Garden is the monument to Catherine II that was erected in 1873. It gave its name to the park that is also known as "Catherine's garden" or "Montmartre": near the garden many St-Petersburg artists exhibit and sell their pictures.

National Library of Russia

National Library of Russia

St. Petersburg, pl. Ostrovskogo, 1/3

The National Library of Russia is the first national library in the country

 The NLR is currently ranked among the world’s major libraries. It has the second richest library collection in the Russian Federation, a treasury of national heritage, and is the All-Russian Information, Research and Cultural Center. Over the course of its history, the Library has aimed for comprehensive acquisition of the national printed output and has provided free access to its collections. It should not be confused with the Russian State Library, located in Moscow.

The Imperial Public Library was established in 1795 by Catherine the Great, whose private collections included the domestic libraries of Voltaire and Diderot, which she had purchased from their heirs. Voltaire's personal library is still one of the highlights of the collection.

The idea of a public library in Russia emerged in the early 18th century but did not take shape until the arrival of theRussian Enlightenment. The plan of a Russian public library was submitted to Catherine in 1766 but the Empress did not approve the project for the imperial library until 27 May [O.S. 16 May] 1795, eighteen months before her death. A site for the building was found at the corner of Nevsky Avenue and Sadovaya Street, right in the center of the Russian Imperial capital. The construction work began immediately and lasted for almost fifteen years. The building was designed in a Neoclassical style by architect Yegor Sokolov (built between 1796–1801).

The cornerstone of the foreign-language department came from the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the form of Załuski's Library (420,000 volumes), nationalized by the Russian government at the time of the partitions. The Polish-language books from the library (numbering some 55,000 titles) were returned to Poland by the Russian SFSR in 1921.

For five years after its foundation, the library was run by Comte Marie-Gabriel-Florent-Auguste de Choiseul-Gouffier. The stocks were arranged according to a specially compiled manual of library classification. In 1810, EmperorAlexander I approved Russia’s first library law stipulating, among other things, that two legal copies of all printed matter in Russia be deposited in the Library.

The Library was to be opened for the public in 1812 but, as the more valuable collections had to be evacuated because of Napoleon’s invasion, the inauguration was postponed for two years.

Under Count Alexander Stroganov, who managed the library during the first decade of the 19th century, the Rossicaproject was inaugurated, a vast collection of foreign books touching on Russia. It was Stroganov who secured for the library some of its most invaluable treasures, namely the Ostromir Gospel, the earliest book written in Russian language, and the Hypatian Codex of the Russian Primary Chronicle.

175 m
Alexandrinsky Theatre

Alexandrinsky Theatre

Saint Petersburg, Ploschad Ostrovskogo, 6

One of the oldest russian extant dramatic theatres 

The Russian State Pushkin Academy Drama Theater - the legendary Alexandrinsky Theater - is the oldest Russian national theater. It was founded by the Senate’s Decree, signed by Empress Elizabeth (daughter of Peter the Great) on August 30, 1756, the day of Saint Alexander Nevsky. This theater is the progenitor of all Russian theaters and the date of its foundation is the birthday of the Russian professional theater. Foundation of the theater gave a start to the Russian state policy in the field of theater arts.

Here, at the Alexandrinsky Theater, took place premieres of practically all plays of the Russian drama classics: from the "Woes of Wits" by A. Griboyedov to the plays by A. Ostrovsky and A. Chekhov.

During the season of 2005/2006, the Alexandrinsky Theater had undergone a general reconstruction, resulting in restoration of the historical image of the building’s interiors. At the same time, the Alexandrinsky will turn into one of the most technically perfect theater venues.

The grand opening of the reconstructed Alexandrinsky Theater took place on August 30, 2006, in the course of celebration of the 250th anniversary of the oldest state drama theater of Russia. The opening of the renovated Alexandrinsky stage became the culmination of the anniversary festivities and was held in the presence of the state leaders.

141 m
Bolshoy Gostiny Dvor

Bolshoy Gostiny Dvor

Saint Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 35

Bolshoy Gostiny Dvor is a vast department store on Nevsky prospekt

This Gostiny Dvor is not only the city's oldest shopping centre, but also one of the first shopping arcades in the world. Sprawling at the intersection of Nevsky prospekt and Sadovaya street for over one kilometer and embracing the area of 53,000 m2 (570,000 sq ft), the indoor complex of more than 100 shops took twenty-eight years to construct. Building works commenced in 1757 to an elaborate design by Bartolomeo Rastrelli, but that subsequently was discarded in favour of a less expensive and more functional Neoclassical design submitted by Jean-Baptiste Vallin de la Mothe (1729–1800).

Throughout the following century, Gostiny Dvor was continuously augmented, resulting in ten indoor streets and as many as 178 shops by the 20th century. By that time, the Gostiny Dvor had lost its popularity to the more fashionable Passage and New Passage, situated on the Nevsky prospekt nearby. During the post-World War II reconstructions, its inner walls were demolished and a huge shopping mall came into being. This massive 18th-century structure got a face-lift recently and entered the 21st century as one of the most fashionable shopping centres in Eastern Europe. A nearby station of Saint Petersburg metro takes its name from Gostiny Dvor.

412 m


St. Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 48

is an elite department store on Nevsky prospekt 

"Passage" today is not only a part of St.Petersburg's historical heritage, but also a prosperous contemporary business enterprise.

More than 10,000 customers visit "Passage" daily, and during the holiday season, the customers flow triples. Currently, Joint-Stock Company "Passage" is the largest center of boutique trade with an established professional team of likeminded people who value traditions and the reputation of the firm. Customer service has been steadily growing, collections are updated, and product lines of goods are expanding.

In the future, a multi-functional shopping complex is planned to be built on the area adjacent to "Passage" on Italianskaya Street. 17.

265 m
Saint Petersburg City Duma

Saint Petersburg City Duma

St. Petersburg, Nevskiy prospect, 33

Saint Petersburg City Duma was established in 1785 in the course of Catherine the Great's municipal reform

 Emperor Paul replaced it by the so-called Ratusha, but his son, Alexander I, had the Duma restored four years later. The next emperor, Nicholas I, expanded the institution from six to twelve members in 1846. Alexander II of Russia reorganized it once again during the Zemstvo reform of the 1870s. In September 1918 the Duma was abolished and its functions devolved on the Petrograd Soviet.

The Neoclassical headquarters of the Duma were erected on the main city avenue, Nevsky Prospekt, between 1784 and 1787. The famous Italianate tower was added in 1799–1804 to a design by Giacomo Ferrari. In 1847–52, the edifice was rebuilt in the Neo-Renaissance style, favoured by Nicholas I. Two more floors were added to the building in 1913–14. A spacious central hall of the City Duma was frequently let to host high-profile social events.

The structure is located at the corner of the avenue and Dumskaya Street, opposite the Merchant Court and Grand Hotel Europe. Its distinctive tower, formerly used for fire observation, can still be seen the whole length of Nevsky Prospekt after the crossing with Fontanka River.

During the Soviet years, the Smolny effectively functioned as the Saint Petersburg City Hall. After the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the Legislative Assembly made the Marie Palace its headquarters. Nowadays there is a branch of Sberbank.

340 m
Kazan Cathedral

Kazan Cathedral

St. Petersburg, Kazanskaya square, 2

Cathedral is dedicated to Our Lady of Kazan, probably the most venerated icon in Russia

Kazan Cathedral is one of the largest cathedrals in Saint-Petersburg. It was built in 1801-1811 by the architect Andrey Voronikhin by order of Emperor Paul I who wanted the cathedral to resemble St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City. The cathedral is the monument to glory of Russian arms. The famous Russian Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov, who won the most important campaign of 1812, was buried inside the Kazan Cathedral. In 1932-1991 it housed the Museum of the History of Religion and Atheism. The sacred thing of the cathedral is a copy of an icon of Our Lady of Kazan.

Kazan Cathedral is remarkable for its plan. Half-round colonnade decorates the side façade of the cathedral, not the main one. According to church canons the altar was to face eastwards, the main entrance - westwards.

216 m
The House of Books (The Singer House)

The House of Books (The Singer House)

Saint Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 28

The House of Books or the Singer House. The famous bookstore, one of the centers of cultural and intellectual life of the city

The six-storey Art Nouveau building with a mansard, with an area of about 7,000 m², was built in 1902-1904 by architect Pavel Syuzor for the Singer Sewing Machine Company in Russia. The project was innovative both in terms of technical performance, style and purpose. Initially, the management of the Singer company, manufacturing sewing machines, wanted to build a skyscraper, similar to the one that was being built in New York at that time: a multistory building with many offices. However, buildings in the center of Saint Petersburg could not exceed 23.5 meters up to the cornice. The architect brilliantly resolved this contradiction: he erected a dainty tower crowned with a glass globe with a diameter of 2.8 m over six floors with a mansard. It is this upwardly directed tower that creates an impression of high altitude, but at the same time, due to its light weight, it does not outshine the domes of Kazan Cathedral and the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood, towering over Nevsky Prospect.

During construction of the building, many technical innovations were introduced: for the first time in Russia a metal frame was used and a drainpipe system was woven into elements of the facade decoration. Atriums, courtyards with glass roofs, were also new to the architecture of Saint Petersburg. The building was equipped with the most advanced technologies of the time, ranging from elevators to automatic cleaning of roofs from snow. The decoration of the building features flowing organic lines and the interior is decorated with floral ornament made of hammered bronze. The facade is adorned with sculptures by Amandus Adamson, symbolizing progress and the sewing industry - the main business dimension of the Singer company.

Until 1917 the building belonged to the Singer company. During the First World War the first floor of the building housed the US Embassy. Since December 1919, there was a Petrograd publishing house (Leningrad publishing house since 1938), and in the 1920s and 30s – other publishing houses were located here. Book trade was also conducted, and since 1938 to the present time it houses the most famous Saint Petersburg bookstore – the House of Books.

The peculiarity of the building constantly attracts admiring views of tourists and city residents, and the evening illumination of the glass dome on the roof leaves no one indifferent, giving it a special charm.

An important highlight of the building is a roof with a well equipped viewing point facing the breathtaking Nevsky Prospect, the Kazan Cathedral, the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood and the Griboedov Canal.

149 m
Stroganov palace

Stroganov palace

Saint Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 17

Late Baroque palace at the intersection of the Moika River and Nevsky Prospect

One of the best samples of the Russian baroque, the only residential building of the XVIII century on Nevsky Prospect, Stroganov Palace up to 1917 belonged to the most ancient family of industrialists Stroganov. Constructed in the shortest terms upon the project of one of the most demanded architects of the period, F. B. Rastrelli, it stroked contemporaries with its luxury of decor, magnificence of balls of high society and lunches. In the first half of 19 century Stroganovs started to collect large scientific and art collections.

Later the palace became a place of representation of the large collections of books, the West European and Russian painting, numismatics and minerals, and for this purpose were built Mineral and Physical studies, and also Library and Art gallery, where the count A.Stroganov, during the time he was the president of Academy of Arts were placed, gave an opportunity to students (future illustrious Russian painters) to copy works from his collection.

Today the visit to Stroganov Palace becomes a fascinating trip through the pages of its architectural history – from the baroque Rastrelli’s Big hall to the magnificent samples of classicism in Sadovnikov and Voronikhin's interiors. After the renovation and restoration of its architectural decor Stroganov Palace is again filled with works of painting, sculpture and applied arts from the storage of the Russian Museum.

328 m
The Herzen State Pedagogical University

The Herzen State Pedagogical University

St. Petersburg, nab. reki Moiki, 48

The Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia is one of the largest universities in Russia

The Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia is one of the largest universities in Russia. Located in Saint Petersburg, it operates 20 faculties and more than 100 departments. Embroidered in its structure are the Institute of Pre-University Courses, the Institute of Continuous Professional Development, and the Pedagogical Research Center. The university is named after the Russian writer and philosopher Alexander Herzen.

31 m
Building of the Main Admiralty

Building of the Main Admiralty

Saint Petersburg, Admiralteysky proezd, 1

The first building on the left bank of the Neva River

It is one of the most important sight of St. Petersurg. Firstly having been constructed as a shipyard, at present the Admiralty building is the Headquarters of the Russian Navy.Three central streets of St. Petersburg split off from the Admiralty Spire as three rays.: Nevsky Avenue, Gorokhovaya Street and Voznesensky Avenue. On the top of the 72,5 meter spire one can see the symbol of St. Petersburg - a gilded weather vane in the form of a ship.

According to the legend, the silhouette of the weather vane repeats a contour of the first ship which came into the port of St. Petersburg soon after the foundation of the city.

Find the Admiralty spire from Gorokhovaya Street, Voznesensky and Nesky Avenue. Just because of this interesting possibility - one can see the spire from these 3 streets -  in the 19th century the Admiralty was jestingly called  a "Pole Star" or "Nevsky trident".

803 m