"Beautiful Petersburg" boat route

Multi-coloured palaces and houses, majestic gardens and water space – all of these is the Beautiful St. Petersburg

This is one of the most significant routes in the historic city center. It covers a part of the city, which was populated one of the first. The rivers and canals from the time of Peter I were considered to be the main entrances to the city, so the most stunning views are opened when viewed from the water.



  • restaurants 1 ,
  • circuses 1 ,
  • museums 4 ,
  • squares 1 ,
  • theaters 2 ,
  • palaces 3 ,
  • points of interest 1 ,
  • berths 2 ,
  • bridges 3
16 km, 34 m
Berth  "Naberezhnaya reki Fontanki, 71"

Berth "Naberezhnaya reki Fontanki, 71"

Naberezhnaya reki Fontanki, 71

A berth of "Teplohod Spb" company, located on Moika River Embankment, 71

The Derzhavin museum

The Derzhavin museum

St. Petersburg, Fontanka river embankment, 118

The museum is a city estate of the XVIII century recreated at River Fontanka Embankment

For the amount of information this Museum occupies a special niche in the cultural life of contemporary St. Petersburg. In 2003 theMemorial Museum of G.Derzhavin and Russian Letters of His Time was opened in the central block of the house to mark the 300 anniversary of Petersburg. Since the beginning of 1790-ies and up to Derzhavin’s death (1816) of the poet’s house remained one of the cultural centers of St. Petersburg, the locus of spiritual life of the capital.

The literary exhibition «Owners of Russian Lyre. From Derzhavin to Pushkin» in the eastern wing of the house acquaints visitors with the history of Russian literature of the eighteenth century and different literary movements of that time.  On display are paintings, engravings, iconography, medals, applied art, and portraits of the most significant figures in literature, history and culture of the late eighteenth – early nineteenth century, copies of manuscripts of that time on archival paper, books, magazines, and other relics. 

Other permanent exhibitions working in the Museum are: «In the White Gloss of Porcelain» (porcelain of the late eighteenth - twentieth centuries), «Pushkin in the Memory of Generations» (works of the artists of the twentieth century), and «The National Pushkin Museum. Pages of History». They represent more than 100 years history of the National Pushkin Museum and its richest collections, demonstrating items not included into the main memorial expositions. The Derzhavin Estate Museum also has several halls for temporary exhibitions, literary and musical evenings, scholarly meetings and concert programs. In July the Museum holds the annual holiday of Russian poetry of the eighteenth century.

1 km, 378 m
Mariinsky Theatre

Mariinsky Theatre

St. Petersburg, Тeatralnaya ploschad', 1

One of the biggest and most famous opera and ballet theatres in Russia and all over the world

Mariinsky theatre of opera and ballet was opened in 1860, it became the preeminent music theatre of late 19th century Russia, where many of the stage masterpieces of Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, and Rimsky-Korsakov received their premieres. When, in 1859, the Circus Theatre was destroyed by fire, a new theatre was built on the same site, once again by Alberto Cavos. It was named the Mariinsky in honour of Empress Maria Alexandrovna, wife of Alexander II. The first theatre season in the new building opened on 2 October 1860 with A  Life for the Tsar by Glinka under the baton of the Russian Opera Company’s conductor Konstantin Lyadov, father of the renowned composer Anatoly Lyadov. The name of Empress Maria Alexandrovna was immortalized not only in the name of the theatre but also in its emblem - the stage curtain by A. Golovin. This main theater attribute was desined as the train of the Empress's dress.

1 km, 450 m
Yusupov palace

Yusupov palace

The family residence of the princes, the Museum of Noble Life, the Regional Teacher's House, the Saint Petersburg Palace of Culture for Educators, a world-famous historical and cultural palace complex

The Yusupov Palace, one of the most magnificent ceremonial buildings of the "Northern Capital", is the site of administrative and diplomatic meetings, international conferences and symposia. The palace's book of honorary guests contains the names of Russian government officials, heads of foreign states, and international stars.

The palace has been visited more than once by Russian President Vladimir Putin. The governors of the city have held talks here on issues related to the development of Saint Petersburg and strengthening its international ties.
The Yusupov Palace was visited by Britain's Queen Elizabeth II with her husband the Duke of Edinburgh and Charles, Prince of Wales, King Constantine II of Greece and his wife Queen Anne-Marie, the King of Malaysia Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin, Queen Sophia of Norway, Queen Sirikit of Thailand, and Queen Silvia of Sweden.

The palace has also hosted prominent Russian and foreign scientists, representatives of culture and art, members of the banking community, educators and journalists as participants of important international conferences. Among them – the president of the Club of Rome and Prince of Jordan El Hassan bin Talal, the director of the Institute of World History at the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) Alexander Oganovich Chubarian, Nobel laureate Zhores Ivanovich Alferov, Honrary Vice-President of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences (RANS) Sergei Kapitsa, Chairman of the supervisory board of Italian bank "Intesa Sanpaolo" Professor Giovanni Bazoli, President of the General Conference of UNESCO Moussa bin Jaafar bin Hassan, writer Chingiz Aitmatov, artistic director of the Taganka Theater Yury Lyubimov, film director Andrei Konchalovsky, poet Bella Ahmadulina, artist Boris Messerer, editor in chief of the newspaper "Moscow News" Vitaly Tretyakov.

Palace guests over the years have included international celebrities, including the singers Sting and Cliff Richard, the rock band "The Rolling Stones" and its lead singer Mick Jagger, movie star Liza Minnelli, and supermodel Naomi Campbell.
Its reputation as one of the most interesting and popular tourist destinations in Saint Petersburg attracts tens of thousands of visitors every year from all corners of Russia and the world.

692 m
Literaturnoe Cafe

Literaturnoe Cafe

St. Petersburg, Nevsky pr., 18

European, Russian

1 km, 496 m
National Pushkin Museum

National Pushkin Museum

St. Petersburg, Moika river Embankment, 12

Memorial apartment is the last lodging of Russian poet Alexander Pushkin

The Pushkin Apartment Museum, located in one of the oldest stone mansions in St. Petersburg at River Moika, 12, which in XIX century belonged to several generations of the Dukes Volkonky. It is the Memorial Museum of the poet, telling about the last period of his life and creativity. That was Alexander Pushkin’s last apartment. There he died on January 29 (old style), 1837 after he had been mortally wounded at the duel.

The central part of exposition represents Pushkin's study. The Captain's Daughter novel and many other things were written here. A clock in Gothic style is placed on the wall. According to contemporaries, it stopped on February, 10 at 2 P.M., when Pushkin’s heart ceased beating.

634 m
 Winter Palace of Peter the Great, The State Hermitage Museum

Winter Palace of Peter the Great, The State Hermitage Museum

Saint Petersburg, Dvortsovaya naberezhnaya, 32

The Winter Palace of Peter the Great is a unique architectural monument of the first quarter of the 18th century

The Winter Palace of Peter the Great is a unique architectural monument of the first quarter of the 18th century. The official residence of Peter I was located on the territory now occupied by the Hermitage Theatre. In the part of the palace which has been preserved, there is a memorial exhibition dedicated to Peter the Great and his time. In his rooms - the study, the dining room and the turnery - decoration has been recreated using genuine items that belonged to the Emperor. So-called 'Wax effigy,' a posthumous sculptural portrait of Peter I, has been also put on display.

Ticket cost — 300 roubles (Winter Palace of Peter the Great only)

The Main Museum Complex, Winter Palace of Peter the Great and other branches — 600 roubles

579 m
Peter and Paul Fortress

Peter and Paul Fortress

St. Petersburg, Zayachy ostrov

A unique historical, architectural and fortification art monument of XVIII-XIX centuries

Founded by Peter the Great in 1703, St. Peter and Paul Fortress is considered to be a unique fortification monument of XVIII-XIX centuries. Its architectural ensemble is focused around St. Peter and Paul Cathedral where the tombs of all the Russian emperors can be found.

The Peter and Paul Fortress is put on May 27, 1703. According to the legend, Peter I himself chose a place for new fortress – the small Hare island (in Finnish – Enisaari), located in the Neva River mouth. The citadel in the form of a six-pointed star was constructed according to the project made by the French engineer Zh.G. Lamber with the participation of the tsar. Six curtains connect six powerful bastions, the associates of Peter I called by names.

The defensive system from the West and the East is closed by Ioannovsky and Alekseevsky ravelins. Two bridges — Ioannovsky and Kronverksky - connect the Hare island with Petrograd. On October 1, 1703 fortress consecrated. On the Monarchic bastion the Andreevsky colors were hoisted, on ramparts three hundred tools are installed. On June 29, 1703 in the center of the Peter and Paul Fortress put small wooden church for the sake of apostles Pyotr and Pavel on which place in 1712-1732 built a stone cathedral. From 1731 to 1858 Peter and Paul Cathedral had the status of the cathedral temple of the capital, then was ranked as court department. The cathedral served as a tomb of reigning House of Romanovs. Here the Russian emperors and empresses from Peter I to Nikolay II, except for Pyotr II and Ioann of VI are buried. To a cathedral the covered gallery connected the Grand-ducal tomb.

Within the XVIII-XIX centuries in the territory of fortress buildings and constructions of different function were built: Botny house, Artillery, Mint, Commandant's and Engineering house, an also guardroom and others. In the XVIII century fortress became a jail of the state criminals, in XIX — the main political prison of Russia. At the emperor Alexander I at the beginning of the XIX century fortress was for the first time open for visitors. In the 1900th years in Peter and Paul Cathedral tours on an imperial necropolis were conducted. In 1924 Trubetskoy's prison of a bastion turned into the museum. In 1954 the complex of buildings of the Peter and Paul Fortress was passed the State museum of history of Leningrad (St. Petersburg).

The territory of the fortress and the beach are open for public. The main cites include the history of everyday life in St.Petersburg in the XVIII-XIX centuries in the House of the Commandant of the garrison. One may visit the prison of Trubetskoy bastion that once used to be the political prison. Among those prisoners who are well-known in the world were L.Trotsky and F.Dostoyevsky. The Boat house shows the first ship that started the history of Russin fleet.


258 m
Marsovo pole (The Field of Mars)

Marsovo pole (The Field of Mars)

Saint Petersburg, Marsovo pole

A large park named after Mars, the Roman god of war, situated in the center of Saint Petersburg

The history of Field of Mars goes back to the first years of Saint Petersburg. At that time it was called the Great Meadow. Later it was the setting for celebrations to mark Russia's victory in the Great Northern War and the field was renamed the Amusement Field (Poteshnoe Pole). In the 1740s the Amusement Field was turned for a short while into a walking park with paths, lawns, and flowers. Its next name – Tsarina’s Meadow – appeared after the royal family commissioned Rastrelli to build the Summer Palace for Empress Elizabeth. But towards the end of the 18th century Tsarina’s Meadow became a military drill ground where they erected monuments commemorating the victories of the Russian Army and where parades and military exercises took place regularly.

After the February Revolution in 1917 the Field of Mars finally lost its significance as a military drill ground and became a memorial area, used to buried the revolution's honoured dead. In summer 1942 the Field of Mars was completely covered with vegetable gardens to supply the besieged Leningrad.

1 km, 598 m
Panteleymonovsky Bridge

Panteleymonovsky Bridge

St. Petersburg, Panteleymonovsky most

Panteleymonovsky Bridge crosses the Fontanka River between the Engineer's Castle and the Summer Gardens

It is named after the nearby Church of St. Panteleimon. A wooden aqueduct carrying water to the Summer Garden fountains was built here in the 1720s, and was replaced in 1824 with an elegant chain bridge, removed for safety reasons and replaced with the current single-span arched steel bridge, completed in 1914 and remarkable for its ornate, gilt-laden lamps, railings and cladding. It is 43 meters long and 23.7 meters wide.

1 km, 597 m
Mikhailovsky Palace

Mikhailovsky Palace

St. Petersburg, ul. Inzhenernaya, 4

An excellent sample of High Classicism in russian architecture

The principal collections of the Russian Museum are located in the Mikhailovsky Palace. It was constructed for one of the emperor Paul I’s sons, the grand duke Mikhail Pavlovich, upon the project of the architect C.Rossi.  From the very begging of its existence, the palace was recognized as an architectural masterpiece not only on the territory of Russia, but also in all Europe. The receptions given in this palace were frequented by the most famous Russian poets and writers, such as Alexander Pushkin. The palace was also famous for its musical salon, where came the best European singers, musicians, and composers. It was a place where the habitants of St. Petersburg could listen to such celebrities as Liszt, Berlioz, Schuman, Wagner and many others.

At the end of 19 century, the palace which is partially reconstructed in three years for the museum purposes and accepted collections of Winter Palace, Gatchina and Aleksandrovsky Palaces, the Hermitage and the Museum of  the Academy of Arts, and also  private collections donated to the museum. Now the collection of the Russian Museum contains more than 400 000 exhibits and covers all historical periods and tendencies of the history of the Russian art through more than 1000 years (from the XI till the XXI century), and the variety of all its principal types and genres, directions and schools. The most famous Russian painters such as I. Ayvazovsky, K. Bryullov, I. Repin, I. Shishkin, V. Surikov, L. Bakst, K. Korovin, V. Kandinsky, K. Malevich and other painters.

And also the museum contains a rich collection of folk and applied arts, including different objects representing national crafts, embroideries, fabrics, fragments of the Russian log huts, women's suits of different Russian regions.

415 m


The big St. Petersburg State circus - the first stone stationary circus of Russia - opened on December 26, 1877. One of the most beautiful circuses of Europe the actors seeing on the European tour way of many circuses called this building. Gaetano Ciniselli (1815-1881) Initiator of his construction was the Italian citizen, the head of a big circus family, the circus performer (the equestrian and the trainer of horses), made to himself a big name in Europe, - Gaetano Ciniselli. The building of circus is the unique technical construction executed on the basis of a front line the then to engineering thought. For the first time in the world at construction of a dome record for those times flight (49,7м) supporting internal columns that created unusual spatial effect weren't applied. Essentially new mesh and ridge design of a dome as the huge overturned bowl covers a hall. This new technical solution became wide to be applied subsequently in construction of similar constructions. Registration of the auditorium was executed with luxury. In its furniture the crimson velvet, gold, mirrors were combined. Boxes and places in orchestra seats were designed for 1500 people, and the general filling of a hall, at the expense of a capacious gallery, reached 5000 viewers. The building of circus of Chinizelli, was among soon the main sights of the city and reached position of the paramount spectacular enterprise of the capital.



21, Fontanka River Embankment, St. Petersburg

World's largest collection of works by Faberge is at the Shuvalov Palace

The official opening ceremony of the first privately owned Fabergé Museum in Russia took place on November 19, 2013, in the Shuvalov Palace in St. Petersburg. The founding organization of the museum is the Link of Times cultural and historical foundation, which was established in 2004 by Viktor Vekselberg with the aim of repatriating items of cultural significance to Russia.

The idea of creating a series of museums in Russia dedicated to the works of the great jeweler Carl Fabergé first came to the Link of Times in 2004. In that year, Viktor Vekselberg purchased a one-of-a-kind collection of Fabergé works which had been collected by Malcolm Forbes. Since then, the foundation has been collecting Russian works of decorative and fine art and has amassed more than 4,000 items today. In terms of its size, diversity, and the quality of its pieces, many of which belonged to the royal family and other members of the royal courts of Europe, the collection is without a doubt one of the best in the world.

The Link of Times foundation began restoring the Shuvalov Palace, located on the embankment of the Fontanka River, in 2006. The foundation did an incredible amount of work over 7 years to reconstruct the historic appearance of the palace and adapt it for use as a museum. In fact, this was the first comprehensive restoration in the entire 200-year history of the palace.

Today, the Shuvalov Palace, with an area of about 4,700 square meters, is again one of the most beautiful palaces in St. Petersburg, a historical monument, and tourist attraction.

The most valuable items in the Museum's collection are the nine Imperial Easter Eggs created by Fabergé for the last two Russian emperors. Each of them is a masterpiece of jewelry and art, as well as a unique historical monument to the reign and personal life of Alexander III and Nicholas II.

The exclusivity of the Fabergé collection acquired by the Link of Times foundation also comes from the fact that this collection represents all of the areas the House of Faberge specialized in: objects of fantasy of all kinds, jewelry, small goods, silverware, and interior and religious objects. In addition to works by Fabergé, the collection also includes works by his contemporaries, including famous Russian jewelers and silversmiths such as Sazikov, Ovchinnikov, Khlebnikov, Rückert, and many others.

688 m
Sheremetev Palace

Sheremetev Palace

St.Petersburg, Reka Fontanka emb., 34

The Sheremetev Palace was once the centre of one of the largest aristocratic estates in St. Petersburg

The Sheremetev Palace boasted not only extensive lands, but also its own hospital and theatre, where the Sheremetev's famous serf theatrical troupe and orchestra performed. The palace is also known as 'the Fountain House' for the opulent arrangement of fountains that once decorated its gardens.

The palace building dates to the 1740s, and was designed by Savva Chevakinsky and Fyodor Argunov, the latter from one of the Sheremetev's serf families. The elegant baroque facades, painted like much of central St. Petersburg in yellow and white, are set back from the Fontanka Embankment behind a magnificent wrought iron fence added by Geronimo Corsini in 1838. The Sheremetev Palace was home to several generations of the illustrious family, and each extended and adapted the buildings with the help of the leading architects of the day.

The Fountain House became one of the main cultural centres of St. Petersburg. The theatrical passion of Counts Petr Borisovich and Nikolai Petrovich Sheremetev created one of the finest theatres in 18th century Russia, and the latter went on to marry one of the stars of his opera, the leading soprano Praskovia Zhemchugova, in what became one of the most celebrated (and controversial) romances of the day. The palace was also the site of concerts and literary soirees with the participation of Vasily Zhukovsky and Alexander Turgenev among others.

This history is reflected in the current use of the palace as part of the State Museum of Theatre and Musical Art, which has restored the facades of the building and uses it to house a collection of historical musical instruments. The southern wing of the palace also houses the Anna Akhmatova Memorial Museum, in the apartment where the great 20th century poet lived from the mid-1920s until 1952. The expression 'Fountain House' was first used in one of her poems.

134 m
Anichkov Bridge

Anichkov Bridge

St. Petersburg, Anichkov most

The Anichkov Bridge is the first and most famous bridge across the Fontanka River in Saint Petersburg

The current bridge, built in 1841-42 and reconstructed in 1906-08, combines a simple form with some spectacular decorations. As well as its four famous horse sculptures (1849–50), the bridge has some of the most celebrated ornate iron railings in Saint Petersburg. The structure is mentioned in the works of Pushkin, Gogol, and Dostoevsky.

During the siege of Leningrad bridge was damaged by artillery attack. Were damaged granite parapets and railing sections. Crossing became blockade monument: on granite pedestal horses  intentionally decided not to restore the trail from German artillery shell fragments.

Lomonosov Bridge

Lomonosov Bridge

St. Petersburg, Most Lomonosova

This beautiful stone bridge crosses the Fontanka River about 300m south of Nevsky Prospekt

Named after the great Russian polymath Mikhail Lomonosov, whose advances in chemistry, mathematics, linguistics and literature made him a kind of one-man Russian Enlightenment during the reigns of Empresses Elizabeth and Catherine the Great. 

Originally called Chernyshev Bridge in honour of Count Grigory Chernyshev, one of Peter the Great's most prominent generals, whose estates were located nearby, the bridge was erected in 1785-87 and replaced a wooden bridge which had previously stood at the site. It was one of seven stone moveable bridges of similar design crossing the Fontanka River, built simultaneously with the river's granite embankments. Only Lomonosov Bridge and Staro-Kalinkin Bridge have survived more or less intact.

Measuring 57.1 meters, the bridge consists of two broad, arched side-spans, and a shorter central span that was originally of wood, but replaced with steel in 1913. Although Lomonosov Bridge no longer rises to allow passing traffic, it has retained its four charming Doric pavilions, which once housed the drawbridge mechanism. It is these that give the bridge its distinctive outline and particular charm.

In 1915, granite obelisks with elegant cast-iron streetlamps were added to the bridge, and in 1948, the bridge was given its current name.

681 m
Tovstonogov Bolshoy Drama Theatre

Tovstonogov Bolshoy Drama Theatre

St. Petersburg, Fontanka river embankment, 65

One of the first theatres established after the October Socialist Revolution

Theater was founded in 1919. During the first years A. Blok, M. Gorky, A. Benois and M. Dobuzhinsky, K. Petrov-Vodkin, Yu. Annenkov, V. Shchuko worked there. In early 1956 the theater was  headed by Georgy Tovstonogov.  His performances were outstanding events in theatrical life not only for Leningrad, but for all country. It was named after its director Tovstonogov in 1992.

Since 2005 the Small stage of the theatre has been located in the Kamenoostrovsky Theater - a unique monument of wooden archetictonic of the period of classicism. The wooden building of the theater was built for guest perfomances of the imperial theaters. The theater was built as a temporary structure for one season. However, having gone through numerous renovations, the building still functions.

419 m
Berth  "Naberezhnaya reki Fontanki, 71"

Berth "Naberezhnaya reki Fontanki, 71"

Naberezhnaya reki Fontanki, 71

A berth of "Teplohod Spb" company, located on Moika River Embankment, 71


Useful information

This route is provided by Teplohod Spb company. Official website: https://teplohodspb.com/

 Saint-Petersburg, Fontanka Embankment, 71; 
+7 (921) 914 – 05 -56, +7(911) 140 – 19-9