Marble Bridge opened in Tsarskoye Selo

03 August 2016

Locals and tourists can finally walk along the magnificent Marble Bridge, one of the symbols of Tsarskoye Selo! The architectural object is open after restoration.

The crossing in the Catherine Park was badly damaged by vandals numerous times. The bridge was harmed right after restoration almost  a quarter of a century ago. For this reason the object was recognised as dangerous to use and was closed for visiting for a long time.

In 2015 the Marble Bridge was put under reconstruction. It took one year to clean marble and granite surfaces and reconstruct copious decorative elements. New balls and balusters were cut out of historic grey and blue marble in the Urals instead of the lost elements.

Now the crossing is open to all visitors of the Catherine Park. Please note that the Marble Bridge in Tsarskoye Selo is a replica of Palladium Bridge in the British Stowe Park. It was built upon the project of architect Vasily Neyolov in 1773-1774. On a personal commission of Catherine the Great, Neyolov and his son visited England and brought an architectural idea of a new bridge from there. The structure comprises a large gallery with a collonade, where elements are cut out of grey blue and white ural marble.