The building was constructed by the decree of Alexander Danilovich Menshikov for his foster child - future Emperor Peter Alexeevich (Peter II)
The existing building was constructed by the decree of Alexander Danilovich Menshikov for his foster child - future Emperor Peter Alexeevich (Peter II). Menshikov wanted to become a powerfull patron of the Royal Family, that's why he arranged an engagement of his daughter and young Paul Alexeevich. For this occasion on June, 11 of 1727 on this territory there was constructed a palace for the future Tsar Peter II. Historically the area of Peter’s palace was the part of Menshikov’s vast lands on Vasilievsky Island.
The laying ceremony was attended by the author of the building's project D. Trezini and Peter II himself. But Peter never lived there because in 1728 he moved to Moscow with the Government. Then young Emperor died and his palace became a home for Military University.
Nowadays the Faculty of Asian and African Studies and the Faculty of Philology of St-Petersburg State University are located in the building. In the court of former Royal residence there is a memorial sign, dedicated to Peter II and Domenico Trezzini, prominent St-Petersburg architect.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Universitetskaya emb.,11