The house was built in 1912-1914
Since 1932 the building houses the main broadcasting station of Leningrad radio. In the days of the Siege of Leningrad the transmission did not stop for a single day and remained the main source of the information announcing the news from the theater of war and air-raid warnings. The voices of O.Bergholz, A.Akhmatova, V.Vishnevsky, N.Tikhonov and M.Petrova supported the citizens by reading their works. On the first night of the Symphony No. 7 (titled “Leningrad”) of D.Shostakovich was broadcasted from the Grand hall of the Philharmonia to every house of the besieged city. In 2004-2012 the ground-floor of the house was the place of the “Open studio” of the “5th channel” - a talk show concerning political and social issued. The studio was a glass pavilion open to the street.
The halls of the House of radio were the place where choirs, orchestra performances and radio plays used to be recorded. After the 300th anniversary of St.Petersburg the halls were reconstructed accordinfg to the modern standards. Today not only orchestras are recorded, but also heels clicking.
Seek for the loudspeker at the corner of Malaya Morskaya st. and Nevsky prospect, set up here in honour to the continious broadcasting of the Lenigrad radio in the besieged city.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Malaya Sadovaya Street, 2/27