The Theatre was opened on October, 1, 1929. In 1929 the premises of the house of merchants Eliseev were handed over to the new State Satire Theatre
In 1935 it was renamed into Leningrad Comedy Theatre and designated N. Akimov to a post of a director and artist. In five years this theater was acknowleged as one of the best in country. In 1989 it was named after Nikolay Akimov.
N. Akimov paid a lot of attention to literatury part. He actively cooperated with playwriter E. Shwarz: the Shadow and the Dragon were written specially for this theater and now they are included in the treasure of world drama. Translator and poet M. Losinsky made excellent, precise translation of plays of foreign classics which then were brought out on the stage of the theatre: A Dog in the Manger and The Valencian widow by Lope de Vega, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare, The School for scandal by Richard Brinsley Sheridan.