An exhibition of photographs by Soviet war correspondents from the collection of ROSPHOTO
The display which is titled The Roads of War includes the works of the celebrated Russian photographers Emmanuel Yevzirikhin, Boris Kudoyarov and Ivan Shagin. It also features the works of less renowned photojournalists – Boris Pushkin, Jean Berland, Alexander Ditlov, Sergei Loskutov, Semyon Kolonin, Yefim Kopyt and Y. Pyasetsky and Y. Tabarovsky. The latter two names have yet to be re-written into the history of Russian photography.
The Roads of War is a photo chronicle, which comprises photographs, taken by war correspondents on the way of the Red Army across the Soviet Union and Europe. From the walls of Moscow and the streets and squares of Leningrad the roads of war lead the viewers together with the depicted characters to Bryansk and Pskov and via Byelorussia, Ukraine, Latvia and Poland to Germany.
The exhibition puts the spotlight on the wartime’s everyday life with its loaded marches and rest halts, attacks and river crossings, tragedies of partings and joys of brief meetings. The displayed photographs show neither ostentatious heroism nor horrors of war, but depict war’s daily routine from the point of view of common soldiers and civilians, where life is represented as a continuous travel along the road of hardships which leads every man to his own fate and to victory.
Along with such masterpieces of wartime photography as The Rout of the Nazi Troops near Moscow and A Meeting in a Liberated Village by Ivan Shagin, We Shall Fight to the Bitter End by Emmanuel Yevzirikhin, Salvo Fire at the Enemy Airplanes by Boris Kudoyarov the visitors to the event will be able to see lesser-known artworks. The latter pictures include an important photograph by Y. Pyasetsky First Aircraft Built on Personal Savings of the Collective Farmer F. Golovaty which was taken in 1944 in Saratov. The picture unveils the story of the Yakovlev Yak-1 fighter which was purchased by the farmer Ferapont Golovaty for 100 000 roubles at the Saratov Aircraft Factory. Golovaty had got that sum from the sale of two hundred kilograms of honey. In 1943 the aircraft was gifted to Major of the Guards B. Yeryomin. During its service the aircraft had never been shot down and when its operating life ended in 1944 the aircraft was transported to Saratov and installed at a city square.
The majority of photographs on view are original small-size wartime prints meant for the publication in different periodicals of the age. The fact that the displayed works are of different sizes means that they have been framed by their creators or editors. The exhibition also includes original photographs by Ivan Shagin and Emmanuel Yevzirikhin printed after WWII, and modern photographs printed from original negatives from the archive of photojournalist Sergei Loskutov.