On May 31, 2003 the Amber room in the Catherine Palace was officially opened after restoration during celebratons of St. Petersburg's 300th anniversary
During the Great Patriotic War the Amber room was taken by Germans to Koenigsberg, where it was exposed to public in one of the halls of the Koeningsberg Castle. In the spring of 1945, when the German army retreated, the room was dismantled and taken to an unknown place. In 1979 the Soviet Government decided to restore the room. The restoration process took 24 years.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Pushkin, Sadovaya street, 7