June 29, 1754 is the first day of the Winter Palace construction
In the summer of 1754 the empress Elizaveta Petrovna decreed building a palace «...to express the glory of the Russian Empire». The necessary amount of money for the construction (approximately 900,000 roubles) were drawn from the «tavern budget» (taxes from drinking establishments). For the time of construction the imperial court was moved to a temporary palace, built on the corner of Nevsky prospect and Moika river.
- Address: St. Petersburg, Dvortsovaya pl., 2